What does it mean to Never Settle?

1. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Jan 31, 2017

Carl, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Friends,

One of the most common questions we get is: why start a company in such a competitive and saturated market? I thought it would be good to write a few words about this, because there's a lot of different interpretations on our strategy.

Recently, as we set our goals for 2017, we paused again to reflect on this question. We are not smarter than anyone else, and have limited resources, so how do we stay competitive in a brutal industry like this? What's the reason for our existence?

The answer we came to was the same insight that led us to embark on this journey in the first place: Never Settle. Despite a lot of things changing, our hearts are still in the same place.

We started OnePlus because we couldn't find any smartphone product that could satisfy our needs when it came to polish, attention to detail and overall experience. Many products look good on paper, but just don't deliver a good day to day experience. Being such an intimate part of our lives, a smartphone shouldn't just feel amazing the first week. It should keep bringing you joy a year on.

2017 is different from 2014. Everyone has improved. There are no bad smartphone products anymore, and it's a great time to be a consumer. However, OnePlus still has a very clear opportunity: to bridge the gap between a good product and a great product. Many people are satisfied when they do good work and call it a day. You see this in a lot of products. If we were to also do so, we'd have no advantage in the market against larger players.

Instead, our strategy is to set a high bar for ourselves, to find the right industry benchmarks within each part of the product, and force ourselves to reach or exceed those benchmarks. This is what we mean with Never Settle.

To give a concrete example, look at the buttons on the OnePlus 3 and 3T. Back in the day, Apple had the best button click experience. It's not impossible to achieve, it's just that no one else cared as much. So we went to learn about it. Turns out, in all types of industrial grade mass manufacturing, there's always variance. Sometimes buttons are slightly larger and sometimes slightly smaller. Sometimes the button cut-out on the housing is slightly larger, sometimes slightly smaller. The secret behind a great click lies in measuring and manually sorting buttons and housing plates into two sets, matching the slightly larger buttons with the slightly larger button cut-outs, and vice versa.

Our strategy is simple. Make the best product. No detail is too trivial. And going from good to great involves all facets of the product, even those too small for consumers to notice. That's Never Settle. That's our reason to be.

2. G_Mohit_Sharma_pvKy Gingerbread Jan 31, 2017

3. dsmonteiro Lollipop Community Expert Jan 31, 2017

dsmonteiro, Jan 31, 2017 :
    While I do get what you're saying, I bet this post will trigger a lot of people.

People care more about a great deal of things than about buttons 'clickyness'. People care about proper communication, people care about their phones being supported for more than a year, people care about proper customer support.

Yes, Support is probably SO MUCH better than it started, but I don't conceive that I can't get my OnePlus One's battery replaced.

OPX support is pretty much dead and no one really knows anything about Nougat for the OP2.

Communication feels more and more like marketing and less and less like true communication like three years ago.

4. pwseo Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 31, 2017

pwseo, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Please, spare us all of your hypocrisy. These outright lies only make you look bad. Do you honestly think people will forget how you guys screwed them with the OPX and OP2? You have settled long ago. Now you're just pretending. And your strategy is not at all "make the best product". It's just "make the best marketing" (to which one might add the "ignore problematic bug reports" as well).

EDIT.: Yup, @dsmonteiro was right. This will (of course!) trigger things.

5. dsmonteiro Lollipop Community Expert Jan 31, 2017

Case in point.

6. LoganZ Eclair Jan 31, 2017

LoganZ, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Bring the 128GB of 3T back in stock otherwise whether it settles or not means nothing.

7. pwseo Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 31, 2017

pwseo, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Of course. What was he expecting?

8. Silver Arrow Gingerbread Jan 31, 2017

Silver Arrow, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Never Settle means that you don't have to cram in a hundred different features that no one uses and are crap. It means putting in one or two amazing features that you can never go back from, like, from what I have heard, Dash Charging.

9. anuraagpayaal13 Eclair Jan 31, 2017

anuraagpayaal13, Jan 31, 2017 :
    I feel never settle is there but only 50%, for some of us software updates are really a big deal and getting the update in quick time is as important as getting a new phone.
    I am a middle class indian man who feels that oneplus needs to change the game in software updates to all phones, be it old or new.
    I am using oneplus 2 and i feel updates are slow according to my taste but i feel others feel the same.

i believe in oneplus and i believe u guys will Up your game in 2017.

Cheers carl.
    [e]1f44d[/e]

10. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Jan 31, 2017

Carl, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Different companies are good at different areas of the product. For instance, Samsung did an amazing job with the S7 camera.

11. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 31, 2017

youbi, Jan 31, 2017 :
    @Carl Nice to see you back. ;) Hope you had some nice vacations.

Regarding the letter, I hope that more than saying that you never settle, you will keep showing it in actions, by trying to change things for the better in the parts were Oneplus still lacks a bit. You've definitely come a long path since the early days (CS support is a good example of it), but like you probably already know, there is still room for improvements in several areas.

Lets keep that never spirit pumping. :D ;)

12. Maximus Decimus Meridius Lollipop Senior Moderator Jan 31, 2017

13. din100 Gingerbread Jan 31, 2017

din100, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Carl phone hardware u make the best feeling phone. I agree with you but software is letting u down. u should have hired the cynogen mod guy and made him head of development or CTO some thing. it's a great phone. software is not there yet feel like I'm using a beta version

14. sfomin Marshmallow Jan 31, 2017

sfomin, Jan 31, 2017 :
    yeah thats great and everything, but when are you going to fix the crappy camera/focus in your phones?

15. dsmonteiro Lollipop Community Expert Jan 31, 2017

Look how well that turned out for Cyanogen, Inc.. :rolleyes:

16. sfomin Marshmallow Jan 31, 2017

sfomin, Jan 31, 2017 :
    bhahaha, great joke @youbi [​IMG]. Keep? When have they started in the 1st place?

baluatq, PRK.R, kpmak and 6 others like this.
  17. Kakrona Gingerbread Jan 31, 2017

Kakrona, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Well, I know these problems are critical for OPX and OP2 users. But why aren't there no one find the camera bump is the design flaw OnePlus settles for? Freaking hate that Samsung look.

18. sfomin Marshmallow Jan 31, 2017

19. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 31, 2017

youbi, Jan 31, 2017 :
    That's is an area where I think Oneplus really needs to invest more. You have definitely achieved the performance part (we just need to see the amount of awards you got on that department). But if you want to win an even better place on the smartphone market, now you need to go after the best camera market.

Please improve your photo and especially video software (the focus and EIS still needs lots of improvements) and invest in the best sensor you can get and you will then be ready to go after the best camera award. :p ;)

20. jebujohn Eclair Jan 31, 2017

jebujohn, Jan 31, 2017 :
    Sure you have done well with a lot of things especially with OP3. I still have OPT. I read your contrite reflection about a month back - but what is unclear is why software updates for that product was so difficult to support. It looked pretty much like the device was abandoned. Sure the 810 chipset was not the best choice but it was and still remains a fairly competent device. Other than wanting people to buy OP3, what reasons did you have for not supporting OP2. A little more clarity might help those who still use that device.

asp7, EKaynar, microcargill and 6 others like this.