Week 185: OnePlus 5 Stories

1. Chris dB Social Media Staff Member Jun 30, 2017

Chris dB, Jun 30, 2017 :
    forum_185.png
    For months on end, every member of the OnePlus team dedicated countless hours to the launch of the OnePlus 5. The work was often exhausting, but the pay-off was truly enormous. In this Weekly Update, I wanted to hand the mic to some of the people who ensured we hit a home-run this summer. They’re just a few of the endless number of voices involved in the development of the OnePlus 5.Enjoy a peek behind the curtains of the OnePlus 5’s development.

@Carl , Co-founder– The OnePlus 5 was our most difficult launch in terms of workload, and one where I pushed the team the hardest. It’s also our most well planned and systematically executed launch. So many people tuned in to watch our live stream, and so many people came out to our popup events worldwide to support us. Looking at the data, I think only Apple and Samsung launches have this large of a following globally.

Customers love the OnePlus 5 and it’s our fastest selling device ever. The team worked really, really hard to pull it all off, and grew a lot during this process. I’m proud of this, and believe that most people agree that the work we put in was worth it.

@Emmanuel Peype, Head of Digital Marketing - Launching a new product is always an emotional journey. Our team has been working hard to ensure everything will be on track for the D-day. From reading comments to meeting OnePlus friends and tech enthusiasts at our pop-ups, it’s been awesome to see the reception you guys made to our fifth flagship device. Thank you and I personally hope you’ll enjoy the OnePlus 5, because you guys can’t imagine the amount of hours we put into it.

@Zero Li , Project Manager – This was my first time working on a global launch event. Even when the team at HQ was off- duty, I had to be up to support our team in India. When I finally got some time to sleep, our team in Europe was already preparing for another day of work. It is amazing that hundreds of people work together in different continents for one product, the OnePlus 5.

PS. Hey, Yuan Lin (Keynote designer)! You are not nice when you don’t let me out of the meeting room for a meal before I finish a content update.

@David Y. , Community - All I can say is that last week was totally insane! I was based in OnePlus HQ on the launch day with many other colleagues from different departments. We stayed up all night like we were fully dash-charged to make sure everything working perfectly fine, and we really did it. Kudos to everyone internally and externally, also to all our supporters around the world. I wish I could join one of the pop-up events with all awesome fans next time lol. Now I am more than eager to read those fresh reviews from our community.

We would like to thank everyone for giving it their all over these past few months. These are just some of the many stories behind the OnePlus 5. At OnePlus, we have a tendency to only look towards the future and barrel ahead with wild abandon. But, we believe it’s just as important to reflect on recent events and take a minute to smell the roses. OnePlus has grown and changed a lot over the past couple of years. It’s been one hell of a ride, and we couldn’t have pulled it off without you.

Now that the OnePlus 5 is finally in your hands, we’re curious to hear what you think of our new device. So, please tell us about your experiences in the comments below. Thanks again for all of your support. See you next week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017

2. Tobikage Marshmallow Jul 1, 2017

Tobikage, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Wouldn't wanna get my hands dirty with an iPhone wannabe.

3. deepaksingh6691 Jelly Bean Jul 1, 2017

deepaksingh6691, Jul 1, 2017 :
    f9f.gif

4. MNavy_ Jelly Bean Jul 1, 2017

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

5. ankitttt Honeycomb Jul 1, 2017

ankitttt, Jul 1, 2017 :
    What about Jell-O Scrolling. I don't think it's normal. And if it is why only some units have this normal scrolling.

6. Dunnow KitKat Jul 1, 2017

Dunnow, Jul 1, 2017 :
    What about the stories of the users who have jello effect while scrolling?

Or paint chipping away?

Or bad bT?

Or bad wifi?

How about that bug that drains battery?

Or how you lied about the 2x optical zoom

7. G_plusone KitKat Jul 1, 2017

G_plusone, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Think what you may, but let us look at that data.
    Pixel phones??

aris, sfomin, pa5t1s and 1 other person like this.
  8. jlasensiofi Jelly Bean Jul 1, 2017

jlasensiofi, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Thank for update @Chris dB ;)!!!!!!!!!!!

The launch and pop-ups were a real wonder. It was noted the great effort and good work, with well designed events and with great success of public.

Congratulations to all the great OnePlus team :)

Never Settle.

sokoleoko, GDZZ and macemoneta like this.
  9. pwseo Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 1, 2017

pwseo, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Absolutely true. You started off a very consumer oriented brand, and managed to grow into one that doesn't really care about your consumers (the ones you leave behind, mind you).
    As for not being able to pull this off without us, you're again correct: without our money you couldn't have done it. It's sad that you turned out ignore us after taking our money.

So, instead of taking time to smell the roses, why not take the time to think about all the people you let down? But I know you won't even be able to reply to this. That's how much you care for your customers: with a façade.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

10. meatandy Marshmallow Jul 1, 2017

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

11. jmsrajkumar Froyo Jul 1, 2017

Dokohan26 and macemoneta like this.
  12. Maxximuscool Jelly Bean Jul 1, 2017

Maxximuscool, Jul 1, 2017 :
    How about fixing up the bugs and the promises with improvements to the camera and the 4K EIS (as good as Pixel EIS).

About the reversed screen scrolling issues, I'm sure some software improvement can remedy that.

raxuz, Peshyy, ReyDavidGroGam and 2 others like this.
  13. Han Arts Gingerbread Jul 1, 2017

Han Arts, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Price is getting to close to real flagships from companies that do offer service even after 3 months

Peshyy and remedy like this.
  14. varma246 KitKat Jul 1, 2017

varma246, Jul 1, 2017 :

perfect clone of iPhone...u r right @Carl o_O

Returning one too ;)

Hope not in copying or cloning:cool:(it's true BTW)

Totally agree we are seeing side effects in FORUM

It's not a manufacturing defect as op2

Deveice (3/3t,5)

Anyway thanks for the update.
    Tried something new.

15. SnapDragon01 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 1, 2017

macemoneta likes this.
  16. Dukkied Honeycomb Jul 1, 2017

Dukkied, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Still happy with my OPO.
    When will you make me an offer I cant refuse, op? Still no high five for me!

Gonzo01, Sera69, aris and 2 others like this.
  17. jpts Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 1, 2017

remedy and Mr. BG like this.
  18. macemoneta Gingerbread Jul 1, 2017

macemoneta, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Ecstatically happy with my Oneplus 5; thank you to everyone that brought this device to market at an affordable price-point! Everything that people in this thread are complaining about works great for me:
    • WiFi 2.4GHz/5GHz no problems or disconnects,
    • Bluetooth works great (listening to my playlist now),
    • No chipping paint - unit is perfect and beautiful,
    • No jelly scrolling. Even if I had it, I'd probably just consider it a visual "effect" like wobbly windows on my Linux compositor,
    • The battery lasting for almost 2 days of use, and that's with heavy initial setup usage.
    I run a much greater than average background workload, and with the 6GB RAM, this phone flies. I couldn't possibly be happier.

If people don't like the phone, why not just buy another? There are hundreds of manufacturers and thousands of Android devices. Just move on with your life.

19. GlennAuve Donut Jul 1, 2017

GlennAuve, Jul 1, 2017 :
    I'm loving mine too. No issues, spectacular battery life. This scrolling thing seems to be the most overblown picayune "problem" I have ever heard of. I either don't have this issue or don't notice it.

20. eye842 Jelly Bean Jul 1, 2017

eye842, Jul 1, 2017 :
    Leaving a trail of angry existing costumers that grows bigger and bigger every time.