Guide Ubuntu & OnePlus One: unlock the bootloader, install TWRP and SuperSU.

1. pollito Eclair Sep 2, 2014

pollito, Sep 2, 2014 :
    A well written guide for someone who unboxed the phone, performed a couple of OTA updates to get to 33R and then followed the instructions to keep CM11S Recovery and installed SuperSU.

Thank for for being so clear, I tried this on a 64bit Ubuntu 14.04 without a hitch. Read closely and follow all instructions.

From my rooted OPO running a rooted 33R CM11S.

2. nguser KitKat Sep 2, 2014

nguser, Sep 2, 2014 :
    Thank you man, glad you found my guide useful and clear enough to avoid headaches. Should you have some suggestions feel free to share them. Enjoy :)

3. Jestrada26 Cupcake Sep 12, 2014

Jestrada26, Sep 12, 2014 :
    Help! So I was rooted before but phone was unrooted with the last OTA update anyway I am trying to root again with Ubuntu 14.04 but looks like my phone won't recognize the following "sudo fastboot oem unlock" Any suggestions out there? Here is a small screen shot showing the fastboot is working properly and recognizing the phone

Edit: Just realized that once a phone has been unlocked before the phone will not reboot if it unlocked a second time. Hope this helps someone else outhere

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

nguser likes this.
  4. ThGokes Honeycomb Sep 12, 2014

5. nguser KitKat Sep 12, 2014

6. vineesh Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 12, 2014

7. nguser KitKat Sep 12, 2014

nguser, Sep 12, 2014 :
    Exactly. You don't need to unlock the bootloader after each OTA. You can run fastboot oem unlock again if you relock bootloader first with fastboot oem lock.

You're welcome, glad you appreciate it.

8. chech Froyo Sep 24, 2014

chech, Sep 24, 2014 :
    @nguser Thanks for the guide! I had problems installing TWRP, I did a second install, and "sudo fastboot devices" just after install, and then it worked. Not sure why, results where the same both times.

So I can confirm the guide works on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bits (Ubuntu based).

I installed the latest packages:
    SuperSU v2.02
    TWRP 2.8.0.1-bacon

nguser likes this.
  9. abdulghani162 Honeycomb Sep 24, 2014

10. nguser KitKat Sep 24, 2014

nguser, Sep 24, 2014 :
    Yes, fastboot commands need superuser privileges and that's why you have to use "sudo". Glad you find my guide useful :)

The OnePlus One is a Google Certified device and that's why it doesn't come rooted out of the box.

11. mort_ Froyo Sep 30, 2014

mort_, Sep 30, 2014 :
    Unfortunately I might repeat questions but honestly, even if they were answered here or anywhere else before, I am still struggling with them. So please be patient with me and don't hit me. =)
    What I understand is the following, please correct me when I am wrong. I would like to get it straight in my head. My goal in general would be to gain root and to keep it, without loosing the OTA updates.

Assumptions
    (updated @ 2014-10-01):
    1. You do need the fastboot oem unlock (which always wipes your phone) to install a custom recovery.
    2. You do need to install (or boot into) a custom recovery to install a sudo app like super-su, which will give you root access.
    3. You do not need to keep the custom recovery to keep the sudo app. So either you let it reflash via the developer options checkbox 'Update recovery with system updates' after a reboot or simply boot into a custom recovery via fastboot at first without even installing a custom recovery tool.
    4. But any new OTA update will kill the root access that you gained due to the super-su app.
    5. Which means you have to repeat part of the process of installing the e.g. super-su root-access-tool by booting once again into a custom recovery.
    6. The OTA update does not re-lock the bootloader.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

12. nguser KitKat Sep 30, 2014

nguser, Sep 30, 2014 :
    THESE QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED MANY TIMES ALREADY!!!

No worries man, just kidding. You need to have stock recovery if you want to receive OTA updates. That said, once you get an OTA update and want to have SuperSU back, you just need to boot into a custom recovery without installing it and install the SuperSU .zip package. Reboot and enjoy.

13. mort_ Froyo Oct 1, 2014

mort_, Oct 1, 2014 :
    I just edited my previous post, according to your comment and my recent understanding.
    Could you please tell me if I really get it right or if it works somewhat differently in some aspects? Thank you :)

14. nguser KitKat Oct 1, 2014

nguser, Oct 1, 2014 :
    Sure!

1. Correct. Phone will perform a factory reset when you unlock the bootloader.
    2. Correct. SuperSU .zip package has to be flashed via custom recovery.
    3. Correct. You can just boot into custom recovery via fastboot instead of installing it. Installing a custom recovery will prevent you from getting OTA updates.
    4. Correct. OTA updates delete SuperSU.
    5. Correct. You need to install or boot into a custom recovery to flash SuperSU once again.
    6. Correct. Once bootloader has been unlocked, you can lock it back again by using the sudo fastboot oem lock command.

15. mort_ Froyo Oct 1, 2014

16. nguser KitKat Oct 1, 2014

nguser, Oct 1, 2014 :
    Ok, let me know ;)

17. vpakg Cupcake Oct 3, 2014

18. mydroid KitKat Oct 3, 2014

19. gmo8492 Lollipop Oct 3, 2014

gmo8492, Oct 3, 2014 :
    It's been reserved for 2 months, anything new?