The Smash is Over - Donate Your Flagship!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David S.

David S. Administrator Staff Member

its-over-forum.png
    Tomorrow we will be contacting the 100 lucky winners of our Smash the Past contest. Out of more than 140,000 applicants, these lucky fans will get a OnePlus One for only $1.

‘Smash the Past’ stemmed from a conversation a few of us had right as OnePlus was transforming from an idea to a real company. We wanted to build a device that was so good people would smash the phones they already had because they simply couldn’t live up. We believe we have that device in the One, and have been overwhelmed by the response to both the phone and the campaign.

OnePlus is a young startup with bold ideas. It’s tough to just survive in this industry, nevermind shake it up as we hope to do. ‘Smash’ reflects our desire to do just that: show the world that there’s something new available, something that just may be better than your current daily driver. However, we are also strong proponents of using technology to better the daily lives of people across the globe. For this reason, the chosen 100 applicants can choose to either smash their phone as planned, or donate it to the wonderful team at Medic Mobile. Medic Mobile is a nonprofit that recycles old phones for use by healthcare workers in remote areas of the world. As described by a member of the Medic Mobile team:

You can learn more about this organization at medicmobile.org or follow them on Twitter at @medic. We encourage you to consider donating your old phone to others in need who can use it, after you get your OnePlus One of course!

We want to thank the 140,000+ people who applied to smash their phones in exchange for a OnePlus One. The applications surpassed our expectations both in volume and creativity - we had no idea there were so many ways to break a phone! We are having a lot of fun reading these and to share this fun, below you have a few of the craziest ideas we found so far -
    • Playing tennis with it - serving, lobbying, forehand, backhand, slicing, and of course SMASHING.
    • Demolishing it with a homemade potato gun.
    • Cooking spaghetti bolognese with the phone as the main ingredient.
    • Liquidate it with nitrogen and a torque hammer.
    • Sending it up to space one-way with a model space rocket.
    • Flamethrower.
    • Ninja throwing stars.
    • Parachuting - without parachute.
    Thank you for your support and feedback. We’re working to get the OnePlus One in your hands as soon as possible.

EDIT:

With the Smash the Past contest finally over, we are happy to announce that we have been able to raise over $5,000 USD, helping over 500 health workers accross all different MedicMobile projects. In words of Medic Mobile's CEO:

arof, walos81, jimmydc and 262 others like this.
  2. MSD

MSD Level: Jelly Bean

I'm happy for you guys, and that the contest was such a success for you all. 140k participant and you have to pick 100 of them? Best of luck...

I'm just eager to get to the next stage. Hope to be one of the lucky ones to get an invite.

willmak, Aditya Shahi, Drako and 24 others like this.
  3. jpswer

jpswer Level: Jelly Bean

Amazing @David S. way to silence the critics.

Hope everyone chosen donates their devices.

Never Settle

Erik2410, zatchu, chriskirza and 24 others like this.
  4. master94

master94 Level: KitKat

Thank you OPO for not making smashing the only option. This is a great cause and it's nice to see you listening to your customers. Now maybe the trolls will leave the forums alone.Reserved because everyone else is.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    todo, zatchu, chriskirza and 17 others like this.
  5. thepanttherlady

thepanttherlady Senior Moderator

This is a great idea!

Echoes, Aditya Shahi, zatchu and 5 others like this.
  6. Buck2121

Buck2121 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

I'd rather sell it... Thank tho

chriskirza, zparry and ash0_9 like this.
  7. bananajuice

bananajuice Level: Gingerbread

Nice! I actually mentioned I would smash it with a tennis racket! I hope I get picked. Fingers crossed!

8. nickh8su

nickh8su Level: Jelly Bean

I still wanna smash mine.

Smashy smashy

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    1518964, criss624, rayzard and 6 others like this.
  9. Edward

Edward Level: Jelly Bean

Awesome!!!

Pranav likes this.
  10. virgil1981

virgil1981 Level: KitKat

At least they listened to the people complaining about smashing the phone. Having the option to donate the phone is a better idea.

11. Jdfourn

Jdfourn Level: Gingerbread

Well played guys! That pretty much silences a lot of critics.....great to see you adapting to the market and turning potential bad press into a positive.

12. pawv

pawv Level: KitKat

Hmmmm I wonder if they may select the 100 based on how creative the smash method is?? I hope it is totally random

13. jmazzamj

jmazzamj Level: KitKat

I must say you surprised me.
    I was partly disappointed about this Smash the past madness and I almost lost interest in your "Never Settle" philosophy.

You now proved you actively listen to this community and you care about it.

I'm happy you partly changed your mind, I may well decide to smash my phone if I were picked, just in order to check if my Nexus 5 can fly, what do you guys think?

In short: Giving us a choice is the way to go.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  14. mohamed

mohamed Level: Jelly Bean

That's more like it!!

Johnyb likes this.
  15. Avanzer

Avanzer Level: Gingerbread

way to go OP

paulschiel likes this.
  16. Schlingel

Schlingel Level: Gingerbread

Awesome

17. nickh8su

nickh8su Level: Jelly Bean

i thought i read something on the sign up e-mail that said submissions partly would be chosen based on method

Cokezero likes this.
  18. Moose0704

Moose0704 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Can't wait! Hope I get picked!!

zparry likes this.
  19. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart Level: Jelly Bean

Well played guys - if I am lucky - donating is the way to go - I hope many of the 100 decide the same! Congrats in advance to the lucky winners :)

20. wtfhsf

wtfhsf Moderator

I'm Glad that you guys did end up letting people just recycle their phone rather than smashing it... it will make a lot of people here happy about the whole promo, and hopefully people will chill out a bit. awesome job #OnePlus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.