The Real problem

?

Do you want oneplus to implement the changes i suggested above?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Can't say

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Was browsing through Youtube videos, and was pained to see the Honor View 10 even best the 5T in the camera department.

1) The real problem oneplus camera suffers from is poor HDR processing(oil paint effect) and lack of OIS. I could have understood omitting OIS in the 5 as a one time experiment(given it was there in the 3 and 3T) but the decision to omit it from the 5T after looking at the criticism received for the 5 was quite baffling(given that they did remodule the cameras in the 5T). EIS of oneplus is great, but only for videos. It does not have much role to play while clicking snaps.

2) Given the recent price drop of Google Pixel 2(Rs 39,999/$569), oneplus will have to come up with a great camera centric update to prevent migration of people towards the pixel/honor devices. However with the lack of OIS, I am quite skeptical as to how much can the oneplus team improve the camera. The Moto G5 plus has the same camera sensors as the Pixel 2 and it is also getting a huge discount in the Year opening sale. Oneplus has to do something about this issue.

3) For people asking to use manual mode and find out the results, that is just one of the many workarounds we all are giving ourselves(other being the Modded Google HDR+ port) to convince ourselves that we invested our money in something good. But if we have to do that, even my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 or Moto G5 plus available for $200 give me that option. I think we all agree that we bought a flagship to get a flagship experience(with power,speed,multitasking and CAMERAS). And if you have to tweak the settings everytime to click a decent picture on a phone running SD 835, then my friend the camera is not upto the mark. As simple as that. There is no justifying that after the 2's processor debacle, oneplus again missed a trick in planning their product by omitting OIS on this device.

4) I hope Oneplus developers see this thread and prove me wrong with their software processing. Even i want the same.We, oneplus fans, are not expecting pixel quality results but atleast we should be able to compare the stock camera pic with other devices running SD 835 without noticing drop in quality .

5) Last but not least, i know the price of Oneplus is lesser than the price of other flagships but the fact of the matter is that 5T right now is the flagship phone of the company and it should be worthy of being called that in terms of Cameras too.

6) Increased sharpness of the pics from the back cameras(both in daylight and lowlight)
    Increased blur strength on the Portrait mode(or option given to the user to change the blur strength)
    Increased sharpness/color accuracies in selfies+ Front camera Portrait Mode is highly desired

7) Hope @Carl and @Jimmy Z. @Brian Yoon @Pete take a look at this request.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

2. varungooner Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

3. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Suggestions are welcome.

Straynart likes this.
  4. EcoVB Honeycomb Jan 2, 2018

EcoVB, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Let us see what the new SD845 devices will bring to the table in terms of Camera-quality and then decide on wheter or not OP will be the maker of my next smartphone...

5. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    The problem is not with SD 835 that it will be upgraded with SD 845, Pixel 2 and note 8 on SD 835 click way better pics.The problem is bad processing and lack of stabilization (mainly OIS). Google went with EIS in the 1st pixel and with OIS+EIS in Pixel 2. We all can see the differences.

6. h_kashyap Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2018

h_kashyap, Jan 2, 2018 :
    You spoke my heart out. But given the mediocre hardware setup in the rear and being relatively a new player compared to the old & experienced chart toppers, I doubt strongly if OP can do any better out of the rear cam out of OP5T as per our expectations even though we aren't expecting much. It'll be very minimally effective even if they do so via a software update I feel.

BigBunny and pari5289 like this.
  7. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    With the lack of OIS, even pixel's camera will struggle in lowlights. If only the strange oil painting HDR effect can be removed, it would be a step in the right direction. The camera aperture is even better than the Pixel and Notes, but software processing is letting it down.

8. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Common people, lets bring this thread to notice of Oneplus developers. All comments are welcome.

nikolajkracht97 and Dharani312 like this.
  9. ViW1p Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2018

ViW1p, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Improvements are always a great thing!

nikolajkracht97 likes this.
  10. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Yes they are. But is Oneplus willing? or is it gearing towards Oneplus 6?

nikolajkracht97 likes this.
  11. lakshaykapoor99 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

lakshaykapoor99, Jan 2, 2018 :
    wow, I feel exactly the same. Not that I'm unhappy with my phone but definitely not satisfied! Amd all of these are very valid points! Hope the developers see this!

12. Lhama Eclair Jan 2, 2018

Lhama, Jan 2, 2018 :
    I agree that OP should implement EIS and I think they should use sensors with same megapixel count as the Pixel 2, iPhone and Galaxy since it will be compared to them. Less MP and more light to every pixel.

As for software, they will get there, but you can't compare OP to Google or Apple. They have hundreds of times more money to invest in research and development.

I was recently talking to a friend about it. On 2015 Apple had 800 engineers only for the iPhone 7 camera. In May 2014 OP had 250 employees, expecting to have 400 at the end of the year.

I think that for the time the company exists and its size they are doing an amazing job. They will get there, but it will take some time.

EcoVB, TurboBot and pari5289 like this.
  13. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    We should popularise this thread more. Oneplus is the only manufacturer that is most feedback friendly. And these issues should be escalated to the developers.

14. lakshaykapoor99 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

lakshaykapoor99, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Sure thing bro.

pari5289 likes this.
  15. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    I still say, we oneplus fans dont need pixel like qualities. But atleast the image should do justice to the processor and sony imx sensors the phone is carrying. I have seen portrait mode shots of the Mi A1. Inspite of inferior camera sensors and weakers processors, it holds its own against the 5T.

ledsled likes this.
  16. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    by the way OIS would have been a Game changer here, but if oneplus omitted it even after thinking about the repercussions, they must have had something in their mind with regards to software processing.

17. G_Liubomyr_Glushak_ZpdH Cupcake Jan 2, 2018

18. pari5289 Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

pari5289, Jan 2, 2018 :
    All flagships sport the same processor but they do get popular only because of their cameras or displays. Be it iphone x, note 8, pixel 2 or lg v30. Its time oneplus gets known by its cameras rather the "value for money" factor.

19. Dunnow KitKat Jan 2, 2018

Dunnow, Jan 2, 2018 :
    you have more faith than a tipical main character in an anime. Cmon, if we all work together we can make it happen...

no dude, this is now how it works.

Hydra Bob, SimonRam and malidan like this.
  20. malidan Lollipop Jan 2, 2018

malidan, Jan 2, 2018 :
    Software processing can not make up for the lack of OIS, even Google realised that after trying to go without it on their 2 previous devices.
    Only a tripod or your hand in a plaster cast can do that;)

Hydra Bob, TurboBot and pari5289 like this.