The OnePlus One Battery: Long Lasting, Compact and Reliable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete CEO Staff Member Mar 9, 2014

Pete, Mar 9, 2014 :
    A few days ago, we spoke a bit about our decision to choose the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 for the CPU. Ultimately, it gave us the best of the 800 series – speed, performance, and compatibility – while not compromising the battery life.

The battery was another big decision for us. Our foremost concern was implementing a battery that would last long enough for a full day of normal, daily tasks without users having to worry about lowering the brightness, closing all their apps, or disabling Bluetooth or data services.

We also wanted the battery to fit in a slim, compact body that is easy to hold, operate and carry around.

With these two goals in mind, we ultimately decided on a 3100 mAh non-removable battery for the OnePlus One.

The decision was clear for us. A removable battery would have meant adding a protective layer to the motherboard as well as extra circuitry, resulting in a smaller battery (2500mAh, 20% less battery juice!) or a significantly thicker phone.

With our configuration, the battery will last long enough to get even the most active users through an entire day of use without adding bulk to the overall build and design.

As we have been working closely with CyanogenMod from the very beginning, the battery on the OnePlus One will be specially optimized to be as long lasting and efficient as possible.

Stay tuned for more on the OnePlus One!

2. Adam Krisko Community Manager/Admin Staff Member Mar 9, 2014

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

3. Chinda Level: KitKat Senior Moderator Mar 9, 2014

4. Frederick Level: Jelly Bean Mar 9, 2014

g8or91, alkeram, iabom and 1 other person like this.
  5. VictorVector Level: Éclair Mar 9, 2014

VictorVector, Mar 9, 2014 :
    Thanks for the update Pete! That battery will be plenty big enough. I am also really excited to learn what this new "mystery tech" will be!

ravard and iabom like this.
  6. ved prakash Level: Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 9, 2014

ved prakash, Mar 9, 2014 :
    while the battery is up to expectation, yet you have increase my curiosity towards the "mystery tech" ??
    how it will affect battery life?? let us know at the earliest :confused::confused::confused:

7. ML_Heng Level: Honeycomb Mar 9, 2014

ML_Heng, Mar 9, 2014 :
    @Pete thanks for releasing the information before midnight Asia time.

Share with us the mystery tech, hope it will be some fast rapid charging where we can fully charge the phone within 1.5 hrs.

Duke Stevenson and iabom like this.
  8. ram gupta Level: Jelly Bean Moderator Mar 9, 2014

ram gupta, Mar 9, 2014 :
    Awesome.Been waiting for this announcement the whole day.3100 is plenty big .Now for the mystery tech.

alkeram and iabom like this.
  9. Grayson Bianco Level: Froyo Mar 9, 2014

alkeram, Duke Stevenson and iabom like this.
  10. Sparkolo Level: KitKat Senior Moderator Mar 9, 2014

Sparkolo, Mar 9, 2014 :
    Great news! Just keep in mind that the N1 have a 3610mAh battery and it's 5.9". The OPO will most likely be a 5/5.2" phone, so the battery consuption related to the screen will be lower!
    With this mistery technology they're developing with Cyanogen probably the battery life will be greater than the N1. And that would mean the only smartphone to last more than one entire day. Pretty impressive!

EDIT: Assuming that it will have a 1080p screen, the 2k consumption is not known yet :p

alkeram, djmfire, iabom and 1 other person like this.
  11. GregOrevo Level: KitKat Moderator Mar 9, 2014

GregOrevo, Mar 9, 2014 :
    Great ^^ And the mystery tech's mystery remains o_O Excited!

From OnePlus official FB :

BAttery.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

momo1234, alkeram, tommyx and 4 others like this.
  12. Armand Level: Jelly Bean Mar 9, 2014

Armand, Mar 9, 2014 :
    The same :D

13. Andrew Z Level: Ice Cream Sandwich Senior Moderator Mar 9, 2014

Andrew Z, Mar 9, 2014 :
    3100mAh sounds like a great battery. Of course I would liked to have removable one of a larger capacity, but I do understand that it is technically not possible with current technology.

What I would really like to see is the ability to change the battery in case of its deterioration and not to be forced to pay more than the price of device itself.

Mystery tech sounds like some software enhancement.

14. AasifMaqsood Level: Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 9, 2014

momo1234, alkeram and iabom like this.
  15. Allanitomwesh Level: KitKat Mar 9, 2014

16. Frederick Level: Jelly Bean Mar 9, 2014

Frederick, Mar 9, 2014 :
    Since the back is not removable, I have a feeling that there will be no micro sd card slot.

17. Utkal R Pradhan Level: Cupcake Mar 9, 2014

Utkal R Pradhan, Mar 9, 2014 :
    I understand the logic behind non-removable battery.

But Will @Pete guaranty that, if something wrong happens to battery only then OnePlus will replace the complete phone throughout the whole life of the phone?

Many with me are ready to compromise on thickness but the battery should be replaceable. This is the first thing which compromised on the freedom of the user :(

2+2=5, capSAR273, Aillaqua and 5 others like this.
  18. Adam Krisko Community Manager/Admin Staff Member Mar 9, 2014

Adam Krisko, Mar 9, 2014 :
    Not necessarily, the sony phones have non removable backs but have an SD card slot.

19. Adam Krisko Community Manager/Admin Staff Member Mar 9, 2014

Adam Krisko, Mar 9, 2014 :
    That's actually a good question @Pete, or will this have to do with the select service stations around the world?

20. Sparkolo Level: KitKat Senior Moderator Mar 9, 2014

Sparkolo, Mar 9, 2014 :
    If there's a problem and the phone is in its warranty period probably you can send the phone to them and they'll change your battery disassembling and reassembling the phone. But I hope this great battery they're advertising will not have any issue ;)