Teach me something

1. Some American Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Some American, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM :
    just jumped ship from my iPhone 6s to a oneplus 5 (blasphemous I know). and while I'm enjoying my time in the platform and still learning it's strengths and shortcomings. there are plenty of things I still don't know about.

I'm by no means a novice. my iPhone was jailbroken and Im very familiar with the inner workings of the platform after 5 years of practice.

so teach me something about the platform. anything really.

my current complaints about the phone are that the call speaker isn't the greatest (iPhones frankly have the best call quality on the market but this isn't a big deal)

my other big one is that I can't select all emails and Mark them as read in one swoop.

regards

Loveit and dec1153 like this.
  2. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Nov 14, 2017 at 4:50 PM

SoniaB, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:50 PM :
    If using Gmail for emails, tap on the left icon of the email and it will change to a 'check' mark. After that you can tap on the icons for other emails and you can mass delete/move etc

Loveit, Some American and otto2 like this.
  3. DrAakash Jelly Bean Nov 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM

DrAakash, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM :
    You can do that with the emails in the Gmail app. Select your mails, tap on the open mail icon in the top right..
    And you'll learn stuff on the go... and anyway xda is the better place of your want to know how things work. You could have a custom rom, multiboot, audio and camera mods, everything.

4. G_chamaka_kumudesh_Fmes Gingerbread Nov 14, 2017 at 5:02 PM

G_chamaka_kumudesh_Fmes, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:02 PM :
    jailbreaking iPhone is far behind from rooting.

I used iPhone 4s in 2013. My first phone and last Apple device. I just forgot apple after i understand the capability of Android.

Go through XDA, you will find millions of ways to use your device on your own way.
    not the way that another company want.

5. indrajit4 Honeycomb Nov 14, 2017 at 5:14 PM

Some American likes this.
  6. M. Elmaleh Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 5:26 PM

7. M. Elmaleh Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 5:26 PM

8. G_Geeky_Hari_IqHr Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 14, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Sohail mujawar likes this.
  9. Themurtuza Honeycomb Nov 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Themurtuza, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM :
    Your selection of oneplus 5 is good, given the fact you are a guy who like to explore things,as it has fastest processor, ample RAM & one of the best OS - oxygen OS
    search n explore oneplus forums, go to xda forums (best place to learn new things about Android).
    Android is pretty much customizable and you are very much in control in Android of ur phone than you are in iPhone.
    Third party apps given more freedom in Android to bring many wonderful features (with a little extra risk of security)

Enjoy oneplus 5 's stock Rom for a while than u can flash many custom ROMs in future, but be careful rooting & flashing ROM is very different & little painstaking, for jailbreaking we had many READYMADE tools, but its not the case with ROOTING & Flashing g custom ROMS
    So study well before going into Root & flash
    & Yes I love Android more than iOS, I used from iPhone 3 to iPhone 6 plus all iPhones.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM

10. Some American Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM

Some American, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM :
    jailbreaking is rooting. in fact you can download a command line and run root commands. the default password for root on iOS is "Alpine"

11. Some American Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 5:55 PM

Some American, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:55 PM :
    I can select multiple mail extensions but there isn't a dedicated "select all" where it highlights all mail in your mailbox

12. Some American Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Some American, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM :
    I'm actually vaguely familiar with running commands for rooting. I'm just out of practice. but of course I'm going to re-familiarize myself on it before hand thanks for the advice. a few people suggested xda so I'll check it out

and yes. the 8gb of RAM was one of the main reasons I bought it. it's blazingly fast. faster than my 6s and I even enabled their turbojava on every application which they have disabled on everything but their personal applications.

13. Some American Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Some American, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM :
    I had options on the iPhone too. I just had to jailbreak to get them unfortunately. especially since it's a fairly strong platform all things considered. I hate apple but like their tech.

I'll check bluemail thanks

14. Vguima98 Honeycomb Nov 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Vguima98, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM :
    the main difference between android and IOS is the personalization.
    you can costumize your android phone in a bunch of ways.
    you can change the themes, the icons, lock screen, app menus, etc
    I really recommend you to go to the Play Store and go to the personalization tab so you can see a bunch of apps to personalize your phone.

15. Vguima98 Honeycomb Nov 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM

Vguima98, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM :
    oh and by the way!
    I don't know if you're into photography, but if you are, in android you have unlimited space to save your photos.
    with IOS you have limited space.
    this is a big deal for me and my girlfriend keeps complaining about not having space in the cloud to save her photos so I've decided to share this with you

16. G_WenZiah_Yvtg Cupcake Nov 14, 2017 at 6:07 PM

G_WenZiah_Yvtg, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:07 PM :
    for the call quality go to settings, Sim and network, and turn on voLTE. The call quality will be as good as iPhone. apple turns this on automatically. hope this helps

17. G_Shitij_Malhotra_Ylwq Eclair Nov 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM

G_Shitij_Malhotra_Ylwq, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM :
    tap on the left colored alphabets to select multiple emails all together once you select your multiple emails than click 2 option from top right corner than all your marked emails will convert to read.

Try this. Android can do anything.

18. Some American Donut Nov 14, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Some American, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:12 PM :
    yes! right out of the box too. it's a nice change of pace.

19. Themurtuza Honeycomb Nov 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Themurtuza, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM :
    You will find many well explained articles here on oneplus forum as well, & on xda also..
    I will give u some example of third party apps.
    You will know how much more u can do with apps, in iOS they don't allow third party apps to use core apps & core architecture of OS so most of them are useless like attractive wrapper of tasteless chocolate.
    Try some of apps like
    Pics art
    Swift keyboard
    U torrent
    Musicolet
    Black player
    MX player
    Shareit
    Truecaller
    Parallel space
    Vlc
    etc etc
    many of these u must have used on iPhone now use again it in android you will understand what I mean, they will do much more in Android with much ease.

20. G_Colin_Dodds_cIwC Honeycomb Nov 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM