Swiping fever. The Navigation Gestures on the 5T and the iPhone X, an opinion

?

About the Navigation Gestures, I...

1. Love them and I think they’re perfect the way they are.

25.0%
  2. Like them, but I think there’s work to be done.

63.0%
  3. Like the idea, however I won’t use them because of what I lose.

6.9%
  4. Can’t stand the concept and will never use them.

5.0%
  1. Cheetosdust Jelly Bean Jan 31, 2018

Cheetosdust, Jan 31, 2018 :
    Spend enough time here in the forums and you start to see trends emerging - people unifying opinions about what they want from OnePlus. Practically since OnePlus 5T was released, there were a lot of threads asking to hide the navigation bar on the Home Screen. It seems OnePlus was reading the same threads as you and me.

As you may already read, yesterday the Open Beta 3 was released and with it came a new functionality called Navigation Gestures. Activating it, dramatically changes the way you interact with the phone, removing the three buttons at the bottom we lived with for a long time. It’s a shock at first, like a deer in the headlights, confused and searching for what is no longer there.

This first impression doesn’t last much longer. From the bottom, you can swipe up to get back Home. You swipe from one of the sides and you get back. And if you swipe and keep your finger on the screen, the carousel with all your opened apps show up. And, for me, having only three major commands to learn is what lead me to believe that the first impression soon will lead to a more fluid experience.

And that was exactly what happened to me. You see, we are creatures of habit. I forced myself to keep swiping away, adjusting how the design works for the user’s advantage. For me, the trickiest gesture was swiping on the left to get back. Not because the Open Beta isn’t fluid, but because it was so impregnated in my brain.

We do these things hundreds of times a day and the act itself is so diluted that we don’t stop to think about it anymore. With the new Navigation Gestures, you have to think about it until, well, you just don’t. What led to write this little post was this: a few hours ago I used my OnePlus 3. Well, the first thing I did within Chrome was swipe up to go Home.

You can argue that they are not intuitive at first. But if you fight them, from my own experience, they - the gestures - will start to work for you, they will start to be part of your muscle memory. They aren’t perfect, though, and that’s ok, since it’s the first iteration of the function on the OnePlus.

For example, it’s slower to get to your opened apps and, more important, I miss changing between the recently used apps. I think OnePlus can do something familiar to what Apple did with the iPhone X - a bar (or some visual indication) at the bottom that you can slide and change between the app you are using and the last one.

And the mention of the iPhone leads to another line of thought. These gestures seem, well, let’s say inspired, by what Apple did. My question is: do you mind it or do you acknowledge the fact that it was a good idea from Cupertino and carry on using it? Do you think that “borrowing” an idea is ok if that idea just works?

My bottom line is: I struggled in the first minutes due to the learning curve. However, persist and I think most of the users will appreciate how clean the home screen now looks. Also, it’ll be curious if buttons vs. gestures will have some kind of effect preventing burn-in. Just remember, if you just hate them, you can always get back to using the trio of buttons. Happy swiping, everyone.

2. NeVeR_SeTTLe KitKat Jan 31, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Jan 31, 2018 :
    Thanks for the opinion bro! Now, I always stated on the forums that OnePlus is copying from Apple, the design, the gimmicks, etc.. I think this should stop. I want OnePlus to be innovative and creative like they were with their first device, the OnePlus One. I would really love for them to come up with new ideas but not borrowing it from other phone manufacturers.

3. BeingIncog KitKat Jan 31, 2018

BeingIncog, Jan 31, 2018 :
    but gestures are new to android, maybe!

4. Dhruvit Jain Honeycomb Jan 31, 2018

Dhruvit Jain, Jan 31, 2018 :
    This is so well written.
    Muscle memory has adjusted my hand to the keyboard with the navbar. Now, without the navbar, the keyboard is lowered and typing has become a little difficult. But as always, we'll get adjusted to it.
    Also, a little indication at the lower panel will help in the swiping process.

TanujP, isetnt, leomeu and 11 others like this.
  5. NeVeR_SeTTLe KitKat Jan 31, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Jan 31, 2018 :
    Gestures are new to Android? :eek:

6. idkwhoiam322 KitKat Jan 31, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Jan 31, 2018 :
    I think pie controls are better, they essentially do the same thing, and the user can choose the hot area themselves. I agree about the burn in part, but what about the status bar icons like battery? They would still cause it, it's probably not noticed because they are there in 95% apps.

7. V1511447954247 Eclair Jan 31, 2018

V1511447954247, Jan 31, 2018 :
    Ahhh! Relieved by the last line I read! Though its a good move by op, I would suggest them rather than copying from any other manufacturer, try to innovate in your own way. Coz copying something leaves behind some features that only the parent manufacturer has!
    I was shocked when I read we can't change between the apps! I was literally thinking how would I survive without that! And damn u said the last line n m enlightened!

Pslyman and meatandy like this.
  8. Martinplus Eclair Jan 31, 2018

9. Dhruvit Jain Honeycomb Jan 31, 2018

Dhruvit Jain, Jan 31, 2018 :
    Reboot is the only option.

10. Cheetosdust Jelly Bean Jan 31, 2018

Cheetosdust, Jan 31, 2018 :
    The Verge just published an article about this, “Every phone should copy the iPhone X’s gestures”.

“I want the iPhone X’s gestures on every touchscreen device I use. I want every Android phone maker to copy what Apple’s done and implement it on their devices. It’s very obvious that we’re moving towards a world of devices that have no borders and are entirely screen, and gestures are by far the best way to navigate this new world”

Interestingly, the subtitle is “Good artists copy, great artists steal”. ;)

11. LastLeg Honeycomb Jan 31, 2018

LastLeg, Jan 31, 2018 :
    I just switched to the gestures and I'm pretty sure I could get used to this pretty quickly. The increase in screen size while small is pretty noticeable.

12. Martinplus Eclair Jan 31, 2018

Martinplus, Jan 31, 2018 :
    Is it just me or noone else thinks this is a problem?

savvas katemidis likes this.
  13. Dhruvit Jain Honeycomb Jan 31, 2018

14. JelleZon KitKat Jan 31, 2018

Birrozza likes this.
  15. G_plusone KitKat Jan 31, 2018

G_plusone, Jan 31, 2018 :
    The on screen ones :D

So there would be a lot of threads asking them for op5 and the op3/3T :rolleyes:

L30nF., Bharanivijay and meatandy like this.
  16. SyberianXGamerz Honeycomb Jan 31, 2018

SyberianXGamerz, Jan 31, 2018 :
    My thought are that if ideas are great then borrowing is not a problem. I mean to say that there was a first device to have an 18:9 ratio, and then every device like the idea of more screen and less bezels so they borrow it. So in short I want to say that borrowing an idea that is very convenient to the user is not an bad idea.

Borrowing good thing is not a bad thing, and each and every device do, due to convenience of the user. And if they don't apply the new feature in their device, then they are considered as flaws.

for example : iPhone X started the trend of Face-ID, and every device borrow the idea for the convenience only.

Final : The thing that give the user a convenience, should not be ignored but should be applied

[ If you want to reply this comment then please read the full comment, and reply with some positive vibes as possible as you can [e]1f60a[/e] ]

[ And I hope OnePlus is reading this comment, which is based on my mind, suggestion, idea only. ]

17. NeVeR_SeTTLe KitKat Jan 31, 2018

G_plusone likes this.
  18. Henry Nosek Eclair Jan 31, 2018

Henry Nosek, Jan 31, 2018 :
    it should be a swipe up from the right to do recent apps, rather than having both sides be back

19. Straynart Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 31, 2018

Straynart, Jan 31, 2018 :
    I use LMT [on XDA Forum] since my Galaxy S3, and I find it more convenient to use the Pie control on the side of the screen. The thumb is more likely positioned near the left or right border than the bottom of the screen.

20. idkwhoiam322 KitKat Jan 31, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Jan 31, 2018 :
    Yes that's kind of what I meant by letting the use choose the hot area, thanks.

meatandy, Nezumi_ and Straynart like this.