[Survey] How should we revamp Alert Slider?

1. Zero L. Product Marketing Staff Member Sep 27, 2017

Zero L., Sep 27, 2017 :
    Hi friends,

We recently got an interesting message from fb07, who has been with us since our OnePlus One days. He reflected on everything he loved about the OnePlus 5 (which we love hearing about!) except the Alert Slider. His opinion was that it's pretty useless for most people (really?) right now and suggested that we rethink the function of the Alert Slider.

screenshot.png

I also got a lot of feedback in Vito's last deep dive thread on Gaming DND vs Alert Slider. Some users said they just want two options, Vibrating and Silent. Others wanted Ring /Vibrate/Total Silence or the ability fully customize these 3 options.

That's why I decided to hold a survey to get a sense of what everyone really wants. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion. Let's keep working together to create better products.

Survey Link: https://goo.gl/forms/5eD8FvMrQkaXkLas2

Thank you.

2. karpersmurf Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2017

3. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 27, 2017

superplus, Sep 27, 2017 :
    Oh great stuff, there have been lots of things proposed already for being able to customise the alert slider as users see fit (@Maximus Decimus Meridius had a good thread on it), but I for one would already be very happy if we regained the original functionality of the alert slider, so I can have a "completely silent" mode, a "vibrate only" mode and a "normal" one, without having to use @GeertBerkers' app (however great that is! find it in his thread here)

4. enzodolan Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2017

enzodolan, Sep 27, 2017 :
    I think what is available it perfect, maybe the option to remap some of the options to do other things?

5. jkb114 KitKat Sep 27, 2017

jkb114, Sep 27, 2017 :
    #LetUsVibrate!!!! OMG it's actually happening

6. Jitesh Saitawadekar KitKat Sep 27, 2017

7. BeingIncog Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2017

BeingIncog, Sep 27, 2017 :
    ditto, i've zero problems whatsoever with 1+3T, I just want after sale services to awesome!

8. F_Andrea_Ippolito_ZsRS Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 27, 2017

F_Andrea_Ippolito_ZsRS, Sep 27, 2017 :
    I couldn't agree more.

@Zero L. If you make any changes to the current behaviour, please make them backward compatible for users (like me) who are totally satisfied with the way things are now.

(I voted for the option: leave it the way it is, btw)

Thanks!

9. Adrian Jugaru Froyo Sep 27, 2017

Adrian Jugaru, Sep 27, 2017 :
    I don't mind using the current configuration, but I can see why people ask for ring / vibrate / silent, it is quite convenient and straightforward.

10. sechinov Gingerbread Sep 27, 2017

sechinov, Sep 27, 2017 :
    No physical button for Alert Slider. Set Ring/Vibration/Silent/Do Not Disturb via a software setting.

11. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Sep 27, 2017

SoniaB, Sep 27, 2017 :
    #LetUsVibrate
    @Zero L. :smile:

12. luxuskamel Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2017

13. BeingIncog Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2017

thriftshop42 likes this.
  14. G_Elias_Eskelinen_NoNI Froyo Sep 27, 2017

G_Elias_Eskelinen_NoNI, Sep 27, 2017 :
    I for myself love the alert slider. However, with the current configuration of settings we lose one amazing feature that is Scheduled DND. Bring scheduled DND to the mix and it will be perfect! The ring/vibrate/silent options for the alert slider + software setting for DND idea might be a good way to do this.
    Of course, some more customisation options won't hurt either!!

15. Ashy1 Eclair Sep 27, 2017

Ashy1, Sep 27, 2017 :
    Alleluja. It could be really nice in the Ring/Vibration/Silent option if we could switch to DND mode with Volume Up, similarly before you changed the Alert Slider (DND -> Vibration with Volume Down).

Thank you. I hope this option will win!

16. Zero L. Product Marketing Staff Member Sep 27, 2017

Zero L., Sep 27, 2017 :
    Winner winner chicken dinner! :cool:

17. RSPBLR Gingerbread Sep 27, 2017

RSPBLR, Sep 27, 2017 :
    Make all 3 customizable. Let a user decide what he needs to do with the 3 modes !

18. camohan Lollipop Moderator Sep 27, 2017

camohan, Sep 27, 2017 :
    There are literally so many thread and suggestions made on the alert slider since a long time on forums.
    Strange it caught attention now from a non-forum source.o_O
    Nevertheless, its always better to be late than never. :rolleyes:

Kerrod, elhasi, Rajasankar and 16 others like this.
  19. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Sep 27, 2017

rarog, Sep 27, 2017 :
    #LetUsVibrate!!!

Bring back the old behaviour (allowing silent and vibrate modes in the lowest position) and let the people choose the behaviour for the other 2 slider positions. If one of the upper positions is silent or vibrate, then perhaps skip it in the normal mode. Customisation all the way!

20. BeingIncog Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2017

BeingIncog, Sep 27, 2017 :
    LoL