Step by step guide to flash TWRP & install LineageOS (no root required)

?

Does this guide work?

1. Yes

82.9%
  2. No

11.4%
  3. No, but I know why and i'm gonna tell you!

5.7%
  1. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

Habib.khan316, Feb 22, 2017 :
    Some basic terminology:
    ~Custom ROM: Just another Operating System (OS). Eg. LineageOS, OxygenOS...
    ~Custom Recovery: This is what you use to install custom ROMs. Eg. TWRP, CWM...
    ~System Recovery: Pre-installed recovery software that comes with your device.

All Android devices ship with a recovery environment preinstalled. This recovery software can be used to restore the device to factory default settings, update its operating system, and perform other diagnostic tasks.

You don't need to ROOT your device to install custom ROMs & custom recovery.

In this guide I will teach you how to:
    * Flash TWRP (custom recovery)
    * Install LineageOS (custom ROM)
    * Install GApps

MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE YOU PROCEED! YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA!

>>>
    teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

2. Turn OFF UPDATE RECOVERY in DEVELOPER OPTIONS.
    - this step is important so that once you flash TWRP, your device doesn't replace the custom recovery (TWRP) with the system recovery.
    - to access DEVELOPER OPTIONS: go to SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>tap on BUILD NUMBER 7 times to enable DEVELOPER OPTIONS.

3. Also enable ANDROID DEBUGGING.

Screenshot_20170222-080923.png
    4. Download & install any universal ADB driver:
    http://www.koushikdutta.com/post/universal-adb-driver

5. Download the latest TWRP for OnePlus Device:
    OPO - https://dl.twrp.me/bacon/
    OPX - https://dl.twrp.me/onyx/
    OP2 - https://dl.twrp.me/oneplus2/
    OP3 - https://dl.twrp.me/oneplus3/
    OP3T - https://dl.twrp.me/oneplus3t/

6. Copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to 'recovery'
    - ADB folder is usually located in your C drive. You will know its the right folder if it has the files named 'adb' & 'fastboot' in it.

7. Connect your device to the computer

8. In the ADB folder, hold SHIFT+RightClick and click on 'Open command window here'.
    -This will open Command Prompt.

1.png
    9a. Type the following line in the command prompt window:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    -You should now be in fastboot mode.

9b. Type the following line in the command prompt window:

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    -This enables you to install the custom recovery (TWRP in this case) and also custom ROMs (in short, unlocks bootloader)

***WARNING: You will loose all your data! MAKE SURE TO BACKUP***

9c. Type the following line in the command prompt window:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    -This will flash the Custom Recovery (TWRP) image to your device.

9d. Type the following line in the command prompt window:

Code:
    fastboot reboot
    -Your device will restart.

10. You should now have the custom recovery installed on your device. To go into custom recovery mode (TWRP):
    a. POWER OFF device
    b. VOLUME DOWN+PowerButton

You should now have TWRP Recovery installed on your device.
    <<<
    >>>
    Lineage-OS.jpg

11a. Download LineageOS:​
    OPO - https://download.lineageos.org/bacon
    OPX - https://download.lineageos.org/onyx
    OP2 - https://download.lineageos.org/oneplus2
    OP3/3T - https://download.lineageos.org/oneplus3
    - If you wish to use any other OS, this is where you would download your prefered OS instead.

11b. Enter recovery mode: STEP 10

11c. Click Wipe>Format Data
    This step will completely format your device and turn it into a CARROT! :p

11d. Connect the device to your computer and copy the LineageOS ZIP file onto the device.

11e. Enter into TWRP mode again if you restarted your device (STEP 10). Click on INSTALL folder and install the LineageOS file.

You should now have LineageOS installed on your device.
    <<<
    >>>

images.jpg

Now that you have 'clean' LineageOS installed onto your device, it doesn't come with any of the Google apps (aka GApps) pre-installed in the OS; not even the Play Store! It ain't totally necessary for you to Flash GApps onto your device as you can separately download the apk files and just install them but for those of you that prefer having 'official apps', just follow the steps:

12a. Website for GApps:
    http://opengapps.org/

12b. Identify the platform you are using:
    ARM: OnePlus One/OpenPlus X
    ARM64: OnePlus 2/OnePlus 3/OnePlus 3T

12c. Identify the Android version you are running.

12d. Choose & Download the variant you wish to install onto your device.
    -This part is completely up to you depending on users who want the absolute minimum GApps installation available (Pico Package) to those who want to have all Google Applications that were ever shipped on a Google device (Super Package).

12e. Move the downloaded package to your device.

12f. Enter TWRP Recovery mode (STEP 10)

12g. Click on INSTALL folder and install the GApps package.

You should now have GApps installed on your device.
    <<<

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

deathray, mladen77, asma12 and 36 others like this.
  2. Claud1u992 Donut Feb 22, 2017

Claud1u992, Feb 22, 2017 :
    First of all thanks for the guide. Second, isn't it required after all of the steps enumerated to flash GApps?

Habib.khan316 likes this.
  3. 80smactonight Donut Feb 22, 2017

80smactonight, Feb 22, 2017 :
    I like this guide, but for some reason it still doesn't install the twrp when I boot too the recovery. Could u help me?

Vignesh1100969 likes this.
  4. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

Thats right! Sorry I forgot to write that part, I will update the post when I get back

5. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

Did you follow step 2 and disable 'update recovery' in developer options?

6. LukasBoscher Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

7. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

it works for all the OnePlus devices

8. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

I have updated my post. Please let me know if you see any problems or anything i should add to the post.

9. hubertchan Froyo Feb 22, 2017

Jaxsky and Habib.khan316 like this.
  10. 80smactonight Donut Feb 22, 2017

80smactonight, Feb 22, 2017 :
    Yea I did, but is still doesn't work, maybe I should not use the option of advanced reboot

11. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

Advanced reboot shouldn't be an issue. As you can see bellow, even I have enabled it on my device since my Volume Down key doesn't work anymore. So to enter recovery mode I use advanced restart option.
    Screenshot_20170222-225334.png

Anyways try the following and let me know if it works:

1. Have you unlocked your bootloader successfully? (STEP 9b)
    2. Have you flashed TWRP recovery file to your device successfully? (STEP 9c)

You can watch this guy on youtube and follow his steps too-->

12. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

good to hear! kindly answer the poll and give the post a like :D

13. ibrahim52 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

ibrahim52, Feb 22, 2017 :
    Thanks Habib for sparing so much of your time to post everything in precise details. Ill take out time to give it a try this week. I hope I take a good full back up of data before experimenting the steps, but I just wanted to check with you if the "root" isn't required for all those steps then if there is an update by lineageos I just have to update through twrp without requiring any root, is it ?

Habib.khan316 likes this.
  14. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 22, 2017

Hey Ibra!
    Rooting your device means giving your OS root access to various Android subsystems. You can look at rooting an android device like jailbreaking an iphone. By rooting you get full access to the subsystems that control your system which otherwise is protected. For example: you can tweak GPU/CPU settings to over-clock/under-clock. Android devices are very powerful systems but are usually under-clocked by manufacturers to maintain it at a 'safe' operating environment. There are many more uses for rooting devices but it's not required to flash an OS.

When LineageOS rolls out new updates they will be available OTA (Over-The-Air). You wont need to flash the new update every time. The only time you will need to flash an OS is if you are planning to change the OS or let's say you want to roll back to a previous build. Then you will just need to follow the steps from STEP 11 onwards (assuming you have TWRP Recovery already flashed).

I suggest you play around with your device to get the hang of it and you will know when you've come accross the right settings/OS suited for you.

One more thing I prefer doing when backing up is i use different cloud storages. Even if my phone crashed out of the blue, I am not worried since all my stuff is backed up. Eg. My gallery is fully auto backed-up by Google Photos, my contacts are auto synced with my google account, my apps are synced with Google Play. This gives me the freedom to mess up and not have to worry about a backup.

I hope this has helped you understand a bit more and hope to hear from you how it goes :D

PS. the hardest part in all this is flashing TWRP. Everything else just falls into place after that

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

wilsmits likes this.
  15. Spannaa KitKat Feb 23, 2017

Spannaa, Feb 23, 2017 :
    @Habib.khan316 - If you want TWRP stick after fastboot flashing it for the first time, don't "fastboot reboot" straight after installing it.

If you do, it'll be replaced by stock recovery even if you've toggled the switches correctly in developer options.

Ignore step 9d and go straight to step 10

16. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 23, 2017

Habib.khan316, Feb 23, 2017 :
    I've never faced an issue with the current method but it could be the case for @80smactonight

But I will make sure to include this in the guide

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

17. Spannaa KitKat Feb 23, 2017

Spannaa, Feb 23, 2017 :
    The TWRP not sticking issue has caught hundreds of people out over the last couple of years - it first started when cm12 appeared.

theshinybeast and Habib.khan316 like this.
  18. wilsmits Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2017

wilsmits, Feb 23, 2017 :
    helpfully noob proof explanation for me :)
    Thanks keep up the good work and never ever settle guys!!!!!

Jaxsky and Habib.khan316 like this.
  19. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 23, 2017

I know of this issue and it has happened to me too, but it was because I had done something wrong in the process of flashing. Since I've been using this method I've never come across the problem of the recovery not sticking.

That being said, it is an important issue other people should be aware of so I will update my guide soon.

Thanks for your contribution! :D

ibrahim52 likes this.
  20. Habib.khan316 Gingerbread Feb 23, 2017

Thank you on your feed back!
    Kindly answer the poll and give the post a like :D

ibrahim52 and Jaxsky like this.