Software Support for OP3/3T: Questions & Answers.

1. cezarvrabie Jelly Bean Aug 11, 2017

cezarvrabie, Aug 11, 2017 :
    No. Even if you install a custom ROM you will still have your warranty.

thriftshop42 likes this.
  2. G_Gustavo_Rocha_gdvn Gingerbread Aug 11, 2017

G_Gustavo_Rocha_gdvn, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Thanks David and thanks to the OnePlus support team. We need of this sincerity and clearly in the information about our devices.

Long life to the Oxygen OS, Long life to OP3T and Long life to the OP5! [e]1f64c[/e]

3. santhanvgqa Froyo Aug 11, 2017

4. dsmonteiro Lollipop Community Expert Aug 11, 2017

dsmonteiro, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Are you on shrooms or any kind of drug?

I don't have anything to do with the forums. So before accusing someone of something, get your facts straight first.

Jackhass, Saurav 100rv, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  5. runboy93 Jelly Bean Aug 11, 2017

runboy93, Aug 11, 2017 :
    I hope "jelly" effect is not an feature that comes with 4.5 update (aka 180 calibration, turning Vsync off) for OP3/3T, basically would mean I cannot use any these phones, including OP5.

(I hope you could design internals better for next version, OP5T or OP6 whatever will it be)

Jelly effect on my test with OP5 caused me first headache, then nauseous feeling and finally throw up on the floor.

It's good to hear that you care about OP3/3T users.

thriftshop42 likes this.
  6. Varangk Eclair Aug 11, 2017

Varangk, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Ohh yeah! Tell me about

7. dsmonteiro Lollipop Community Expert Aug 11, 2017

dsmonteiro, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Okay, so you're a full blown idiot.

Had you actually tried to find out what's happening before accusing me, you'd know that Community Experts are not part of OnePlus not they ever were. You'd also know I was a mod once, but I'm not anymore and have been quite vocal against some things OnePlus has done in the past. You'd even know that you were blocked by the automatic spam filter that apparently has been misbehaving (but was already reported to the community manager according to a mod).

Vector, Jackhass, leveskockaa and 2 others like this.
  8. Arun Sharma Gingerbread Aug 11, 2017

Arun Sharma, Aug 11, 2017 :
    One plus announced at the time of launching oneplus 3 that it will get two major Android updates. It was quiet clear which two major updates OP were talking about. It was launched with 6.0 MM, has already received 7 N and last Android O. After updating one plus 3 to Android O I think OP will full fill it's promise.

Regarding 3t, it was a win win situation for OP, They knew that one plus 3 is a hit, so they improved on the area where they messed up first time that was BATTERY and DISPLAY, also added new color & a camera and finally launched it with the same but a bit improved software back then OOS was on MM . They clearly played it well while launching it. They could have easily launched it with Android N but then this would have forced OP to give Android 9 to 3t and this would have clearly disappointed the people who bought 3. So, they decided to stay with MM. It's the customer who bought 3t should have really thought about it. It doesn't matter when the phone was launched if 3t is getting two major updates then I guess it should be fine, after all biggest Android company GOOGLE supports their flagship till two major updates.

If one plus 5T launches, which I doubt it will. But if they choose to launch 5t it will launch with Android 7 only. and again will receive only two major updates.

What I don't understand is why the 3/3t can't support new off screen gestures. If 3/3t can support V to turn on flashlight why can't it support more gestures..?

9. varma246 KitKat Aug 11, 2017

10. G_Mohit_Jain_aVwJ Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

G_Mohit_Jain_aVwJ, Aug 11, 2017 :
    i mean the rooting process... i am not risking my rs.35000 cell

11. camohan Lollipop Moderator Aug 11, 2017

camohan, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Thanks @David Y. and @Oliver Z.
    I am happy that questions have been answered pretty to the point without leaving ambiguities and leaving users to assume things on their own.
    I am particularly happy with a firm decision and coming out to communicate it about the last update for op3/t. This clearly shows Oneplus has learned from the Op2 fiasco. It also important to acknowledge that the team has not shut down the operations completely and will continue to provide security updates which is more important than handful of UI tweaks which might come in P.
    Overall, I feel this was a very matured Q and A.

12. Lungu Ionut Donut Aug 11, 2017

Lungu Ionut, Aug 11, 2017 :
    So 1-2 months until the next official OTA, plus the last 2 months which have passed, we get 4 months with no official OTA update. Let's ignore 50 mb updates dedicated for the official Android security updates.. GG.

13. RY4N75 Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

thriftshop42 likes this.
  14. pillow35 Jelly Bean Aug 11, 2017

pillow35, Aug 11, 2017 :
    thank you . Good explanation that comes at the right time ... to make people wait

15. Saurav 100rv Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

Saurav 100rv, Aug 11, 2017 :
    You're going too far,
    O is still in the development stage!
    Later versions are not yet planned...
    And you have custom roms too
    So don't get like this

thriftshop42 and otto2 like this.
  16. SimonRam KitKat Aug 11, 2017

SimonRam, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Nope, Moto is poor on updates amigo

redvw and RY4N75 like this.
  17. RY4N75 Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

RY4N75, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Yeah I know I had one. My bad haha

SimonRam likes this.
  18. Saurav 100rv Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

Saurav 100rv, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Rooting is a simple AF thing
    But the processes following it are a little complex, if one doesn't become a "over curious" cat, then nothing will happen to the phone

And dont cry for support for Android later than O, cu they already fulfilled their promise of 2 major Android upgrades
    Started with a marshmallow, now nougat and the upcoming O, pretty much it...

19. G_Saket_Gillurkar_sCVd Honeycomb Aug 11, 2017

hemanth9719 likes this.
  20. noéDefalt Froyo Aug 11, 2017

noéDefalt, Aug 11, 2017 :
    What about "Project Treble"? Are there any plans to implement it properly?

Oneplus might not provide major releases for the op 3/3t after Android O, but it would be a great benefit for the custom ROM developers.

We would experience fewer bugs in a custom version of Android P.

And I think, it's save to say that most, if not all user of op 3/3t/5 will be more than happy to read about that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

mage115 likes this.