Software Support for OP3/3T: Questions & Answers.

1. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Aug 11, 2017

David Y., Aug 11, 2017 :
    Software-Support_780.jpg

Recently, we noticed lots of OP3/3T users asking questions related to future software support for their devices. To better keep everyone in the loop, we invited @Oliver Z. , our Head of Product to answer some of the most commonly asked questions from the community.

David: Hi Oliver. First, could you please explain why many more updates were released for the OP5 than the OP3/3T in recent times?

Oliver: Sure, we have been gathering plenty of user feedback on the OP5 following the launch in mid-June. We dedicated our efforts in the first 1-2 months after release to better satisfy users’ needs and boost our latest product’s capabilities.

Normally, we release a new Official Release (OTA) update every 1-2 months. If you’d like to taste some of the latest OxygenOS features earlier, and receive updates more frequently, you’re more than welcome to join our Open Beta Program. Currently, we release Open Beta updates for the OP3/3T approximately once every month.

David: Some users asked why some new features, which are available through the Open Beta Program, are not implemented in the stable build releases on the OP3/3T?

Oliver: We’ve always positioned the Beta Program as a public laboratory for new features, feedback, and bug testing. This helps us improve the code of all of our MP builds. We unfortunately, cannot guarantee every feature present in the Open Betas will transition to the Official releases. Often times, even though the feature seems stable enough in the Beta builds, they are not ready or do not meet our quality standards for public release. (And yes, sometimes we test the value of upcoming features through the Open Beta Program for release in new or upcoming devices or later software updates.) In some situations, our limited development and QT resources force us to bring these features to one device first. These features are then introduced on other older devices further down the road. We love how the program has grown, but we do have to admit that we still have room to improve and better optimize the Open Beta Program.

Also, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank our users who have joined either our Closed Beta Program or our Open Beta Program. You have all helped us shape the functionalities and quality of OxygenOS.

David: What are you planning with regards to security updates for the OP3/3T?

Oliver: In keeping with the original schedule, we planned to update OxygenOS on the OP3/3T to version 4.5, with the latest security patch level update, in the next 1-2 months. However, some feedback from the community caught our attention and we decided to tweak it a little bit. We’ll split the update into two parts. First, we’ll update the security patch level to August, which will be released soon. The OxygenOS 4.5 update will be released at the scheduled time.

David: So the OP3/3T will soon catch up with the current version on the OP5, but some features on the OP5 will not be available on the OP3/3T, right?

Oliver: Yes, those missing features are mainly a result of hardware differences, such as the availability of Reading Mode on the OP5, which depends on the RGB sensor. The OP3/3T don’t have that hardware interface, so we are unable to release this feature on these two devices. The same reason applies to the new off-screen gestures and DCI-P3 screen calibration.

David: My last question is very important to OP3/3T users. How long will the OP3/3T continue to receive software support?

Oliver: Android O is going to be the last Android version update we’ll release for OP3/3T. We’ll continue to release security patch updates for the foreseeable future, and offer support for individual application updates. After the OP3/3T have been updated to Android O, we’ll start moving the Open Beta Program from OP3/3T to OP5.

Alright that's all I wanted to ask. Did you find answers to all of your questions? If not, leave your questions in the comments below and we’ll get back to you soon. Thank you all and enjoy the upcoming weekend!

Yours,
    David

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 4:01 AM

2. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Aug 11, 2017

David Y., Aug 11, 2017 :
    Oliver: Rest assured, the official Android O update won’t be the last OxygenOS update for OP3/3T. We will continue to follow up on the feedback from the community and roll out incremental updates.

Oliver: Good question. Project Treble is a brilliant idea to offer better and faster updates. We will definitely keep a close eye on this project. However currently we can’t provide an official response, as Google is yet to release an official release schedule for Project Treble.

Oliver: The touch latency issue will be fixed in the next official release for OP3/3T.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 4:00 AM

3. Sun90 KitKat Aug 11, 2017

Sun90, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Thanks David.

4. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 11, 2017

Plenkske, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Nice interview with great answers, that the OP3/T and OP5 users need to know. Well done :) Keep it up!

5. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 11, 2017

youbi, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :) Transparency is always priceless. ;)

Edit:

I will leave also here the conclusion I got after seeing todays feedback from the community :neutral::

"I have to be honest, things in this community are still able to surprise me even after the more than 3 years I've been here. :openmouth: Users keep asking about transparency, but when they get it they completely ruin its purpose and get stuck in small details that have been long announced and that is what everyone should expect, two major releases for the op3/t, and that is what we will be getting (the op2 didn't really had that much luck, did he? ;):( ). This is standard procedure in the Flagships Android OEM industry ( and sometimes not even that), even google follows it with their pixels, so what's exactly the big news here? :neutral:

No one said that the op3/t wouldn't get updates past the first Android O release (that supposedly will happen this year still), they just said that the Android P wouldn't come to the phone (and that is something that usually would only happen in late 2018 or even early 2019), so I think that there's a clear difference between this or just saying the support is about to end. ;)

This is the sort of events that probably will make Oneplus rethink this transparency approach, because it really seems that some users can't really see past the present day, and that when they see a glimpse of the future, they start screaming that the end of the world is here already. It's almost like if one could see the future and saw that he would die in 50 years, but started freaking out today because he is going to die. I guess some people can't really know the truth, and will just rather live in a blessed ignorance..."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 1:16 AM

6. Vivek2989 Gingerbread Aug 11, 2017

7. everkurt Gingerbread Aug 11, 2017

everkurt, Aug 11, 2017 :
    I was waiting for such an announcement.
    But People who bought OnePlus 3T colette Edition are very short lived.
    3t should postpone the update a bit.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 5:51 PM

8. someshkumarr Froyo Aug 11, 2017

someshkumarr, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Thanks but don't stop updates like OnePlus 2.. We want a stable Android O and not just "Android O".

At least clarify that Android O will be the last update or there will be more support like bug fixing after Android O till Android P

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017

9. Sailor80 Froyo Aug 11, 2017

10. Vaseem99 Gingerbread Aug 11, 2017

Vaseem99, Aug 11, 2017 :
    scriped post, by the way we are not expecting much just fix touch latecy in op3T

11. G_Petjitsu_Petjitsu_NEBY Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

12. Vaseem99 Gingerbread Aug 11, 2017

13. RY4N75 Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

RY4N75, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Well I had a feeling android O would be the last major update which in to say the least a little disappointed in oneplus.

I feel oneplus should provide further updates to this device as not even a year old and is really being killed off due to OP5.

I used what money i could scrape together and even selling other things I had to get the OP3T due to it still being a new phone really and with not being able to work now due to illness I will not be able to purchase the OP5.

It's good that you will still be pushing security patches and I've always felt it's right that these patches should be pushed separate and not built in to the latest build.

It's a hard choice as I love the OP brand and community but I will have to sell my OP3T whist it's still worth money and move to another brand. I don't feel it's fair how OP are quick to drop a device so soon due to a new device. To me it feels like your forcing customers to pay more money.

My thoughts and wish OnePlus all the best

14. ash23 Jelly Bean Aug 11, 2017

ash23, Aug 11, 2017 :
    The 3t shipped with nougat didn't it? Only one major software upgrade? I expected more from you guys, this is a big disappointment

15. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 11, 2017

youbi, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Are you sure about what you are saying? It came out with M. ;)

16. Vaibhav Bhragava Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2017

Vaibhav Bhragava, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Nope, it shipped with marshmallow 6.0.1 as far as I remember

17. OALEXANDER Indian POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 11, 2017

OALEXANDER, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Thank you once again for keeping us updated with announcements on support for our 3/3T users.

18. G_Bogdan_Politaiev_Alqg Eclair Aug 11, 2017

G_Bogdan_Politaiev_Alqg, Aug 11, 2017 :
    True, it's disappointing. But the biggest question is whether 3/3T will get the stable O, not just the very first O. As with N, we see that during the year we got a lot of OOS improvements + 7.1.1. If we get the same with O, it would be at least OK and phone will be officially on the latest software for 2 years in total

19. fdroko Honeycomb Aug 11, 2017

fdroko, Aug 11, 2017 :
    It is good to be informed about the future and how you plan to cope with what is going to happen oneplus

I just wish you the best and that all the devices that promised Android 8.0 are updated as quickly as possible :D

Ankush Jagdale likes this.
  20. Himalaya Dave Honeycomb Aug 11, 2017

Himalaya Dave, Aug 11, 2017 :
    Nice answers . Appreciate the quality time taken to address common queries .
    Thanks for the answers.Hope to see this type of question answer session in the near feature if needed .

thriftshop42 likes this.