Scared away from Oneplus

1. F_Noah_Golly_EdSK Donut Dec 6, 2017

F_Noah_Golly_EdSK, Dec 6, 2017 :
    I have been using an iPhone 6 since it came out in 2014 and have been perfectly happy with it until my home button bit the dust. Being on a budget, many new iPhones were out of reach so the great specs of the 5t really stood out and the screen looked great. But after looking past all the glowing reviews, I began to see the real heart of Oneplus. With their spyware installed on the 5t, plus issues with battery life, the camera and also android in general. From a long time IOS user, android feels much less stable and gets out dated faster, bugs go unsolved fro long periods of time, something that is less common with IOS. With that I canceled my 5T order officially and am sad Ill miss out on trying something new, there is something to be said about reliability and stability that in my opinion, no Android device can deliver.

Ill be upgrading my 6 to a 6s... Boring I know

Am I off base, have other people experienced the opposite? Dose anybody agree with me?

Noah

2. nitramcek Honeycomb Dec 6, 2017

nitramcek, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Well, have fun with iOS.
    I would never even consider buying that kind of boring OS.
    But there is something for everyone.

Punk_69, keithnyc, gauravnema and 6 others like this.
  3. Jeet77 Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2017

Jeet77, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Well, you are scared seeing all the bad press that One Plus got. Thats normal l. First things first, I dont support that OP was collecting user data, so that was bad. Camera on this phone isnt that great, not because of the hardware, but mainly cuz the software isnt that good. You can use Google Pixel camera ported onto OP and see that photos come out better.

Other than these, battery life on the OP5/5T is great. Since you thought of switching from iOS, you need to get used to the ecosystem first. If you do choose to get the 5T or any other android phone, I am sure you are gonna love it : the customisation that android offers is amazing and will surely blow off an iOS user's mind.

Lastly, its your decision about what phone you wana purchase. But the 5/5T are definitely a bang for the buck, their specs top notch and the OS is better than most androids out there.

BEARZINGA, DrAakash, Punk_69 and 6 others like this.
  4. G_Terry_Dougherty_LGsa Eclair Dec 6, 2017

5. F_Noah_Golly_EdSK Donut Dec 6, 2017

Im posting because it was a big change of heart for me, I was super onboard with the 5T then I started compiling what I had read and began to thing maybe android, not to mention the size of the device is also maybe not what I'm looking for. Customization is awesome but in my past android experience, 4.0 Jellybean, it got in the way of the usability of the phone because nothing was really tacked down it seemed. Dose anybody have any positive IOS to android experiences?

Lastly, I really love to tinker, maybe its just me getting older or whatever but my phone is not a place where I want to do so, shouldn't it has been improved to start?

lostLambda likes this.
  6. Ponz_Dawg Cupcake Dec 6, 2017

Ponz_Dawg, Dec 6, 2017 :
    I mean, apple allows 3rd party apps to have your face data so those apps can target you with specific ads. All so apple makes more money on the app store. So if your concerned with security don't buy an iPhone x...

7. Jeet77 Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2017

Jeet77, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Yes, many
    Given the fact, that OP costs way lesser than Apple iPhones and is great at customising, something which you basically dnt have in iOS.

Oreo is nothing like jellybean. However, if at you arr jumping aboard the android bandwagon, you sure have to get used to the things that android offers and there is a learning curve.

Jassijee likes this.
  8. F_Noah_Golly_EdSK Donut Dec 6, 2017

The X is defiantly not something I'm considering, cost and glass back were big turn off. Im not as concerned with the security as much as just the merit of OP...

lostLambda likes this.
  9. kevinkrg6 Honeycomb Dec 6, 2017

kevinkrg6, Dec 6, 2017 :
    If I could afford an iPhone I would like to own one. They always (and probably always will) have the best cameras.

My mouth waters at iPhone photography:
    https://www.ippawards.com/gallery/

My only gripe in addition the the cost, is the cost of apps, and inability to do some extra cool stuff.

that stuff being, like for example, I don't think you can torrent on iOS, can you? Have to buy all my movies....

And cool stuff like, using Linux deploy to run a full Linux terminal on my.android phone so I can write, compile, and run C++ programs for school.

Can't do that stuff on iOS.

But then, on Android, I can't have an iPhone camera.

I honestly would like to have both phones, and just switch my sim every once in awhile so I could have both.

A man can dream.

lostLambda and F1512297759891 like this.
  10. F_Noah_Golly_EdSK Donut Dec 6, 2017

Yes, pretty much every iPhone produces amazing photos with little fuss or software updates, thats a great feature. I also use I message on my mac and its really handy. A 5" 5T would really be a sweet spot, 6" is just really large no matter how small the bezels. Like many, I'm priced out of new iPhones and also need a headphone jack for work as well, Its lame to not dip my toes into whats new but like the title says, I got scared away, Android juts feel unfinished in some areas... This definitely comes from my lack of recent experience with the OS but my concerns never really got mended my reading the forms on here...

11. G_Akeen_McKinnon_PEpJ Froyo Dec 6, 2017

G_Akeen_McKinnon_PEpJ, Dec 6, 2017 :
    I had a OnePlus 5t since day 1. Im not new to Android (far from it) but this is my first OP. I love this phone. The software is near stock and is bloody fast. Dash charging is amazing and battery life too. I plug in my phone with more than 50% battery with about 2.5-3 hrs screen on time. (Moderate use I guess) They may be creeping or not but I'm not a security nut. I try to keep my card info and that kinda stuff out of the wrong hands obviously, but I can't deny or prove that OnePlus is creeping. the phone itself is awesome. The only bummer is that I wish the vibration motor had a bit more "oomph" but every else is awesome. Treble is a bummer but not a deal breaker since OoS is so stable. My 2cents.

lostLambda, Jassijee and nitramcek like this.
  12. shayanzahedana Froyo Dec 6, 2017

shayanzahedana, Dec 6, 2017 :
    well I mean spying on us and ditching promises isn't exactly bad press! plus knowing that the stolen data can possibly be going to the Chinese Communist party to rank us by our view of them is scary!

lostLambda likes this.
  13. shayanzahedana Froyo Dec 6, 2017

you will soon regret!

14. shayanzahedana Froyo Dec 6, 2017

dude you are tied to the apple ecosystem having an android phone will be a pain in the *** for you! just go for iPhone!

iamelton likes this.
  15. G_Akeen_McKinnon_PEpJ Froyo Dec 6, 2017

G_Akeen_McKinnon_PEpJ, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Maybe, or maybe not. I got into OnePlus for the support the devices get from not only OnePlus but outside devs as well. OnePlus might fail me but they won't.

shayanzahedana likes this.
  16. shayanzahedana Froyo Dec 6, 2017

yeah I guess!

G_Akeen_McKinnon_PEpJ likes this.
  17. B1511688001447 Gingerbread Dec 6, 2017

B1511688001447, Dec 6, 2017 :
    I can see your point and for a long time iOS user, even harder to switch. But you have to consider that android has a gazillion oem's so it can never be tailor made as iOS except for the pixel range of phones.

IOS is like a action figure and android a lego version of the same. It takes some time and heart but you can make it your own unlike iPhone's that all look alike even on the software front. Functionality on both is arguable.

Both these are for people with different preferences. IOS for an out of the box finished system and android for the ones who want to get their way with their device.

P.S. - I've never owned an iOS device but have used some just to get a first had experience with it.

18. Girdhar Agrawal Cupcake Dec 6, 2017

Girdhar Agrawal, Dec 6, 2017 :
    why you all r wasting time
    y r u worried about security
    what r u going to save on your phone
    r u celebrity or terrorist
    ha ha ha

19. Hydra Bob Gingerbread Dec 6, 2017

Hydra Bob, Dec 6, 2017 :
    To each their own. I buy OnePlus because I enjoy the freedom and control of Android, rooting, custom ROMs and whatnot. The phones have decent specs and I'm not worried about their software since I don't use it. If that kinda thing doesn't interest you then you'll probably be happier with something like an iPhone or a Samsung if you can afford it.

lostLambda and keithnyc like this.
  20. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Dec 6, 2017

keithnyc, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Hey Noah:
    I guess everyone has different tastes, right? https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/why-the-oneplus-5t-is-worth-it.708410/

Like others have noted, I like the OP5 (and obviously the enhanced T version) specifically because I'm not locked into Apple's environment. I love the openess and flexibility of the Android OS in general, and the current OP's OS is smooth and operating very well for me. I love being able to buy a bloatware free, contract free unlocked phone with the 5T's specs (including facial recognition and the larger screen) for WELL under $1000.

Punk_69 and Hydra Bob like this.