Regarding the "Ladies First" Contest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl

Carl Administrator Staff Member

Women make up half the world, and we want to help them be more involved in tech. We understand that our contest was in bad taste, and have therefore pulled it. All participants will be contacted for prizes.

We apologize and we will course correct for the future. At the same time, we would love to hear your feedback on how we can better get women involved in tech.

2. dsmonteiro

dsmonteiro Moderator Coordinator

It's good to see OnePlus addressing people's feedback so fast.

Thank you for this.

3. Dexter Morgan

Dexter Morgan Senior Moderator

I have to disagree with people who said it was sexist. Oneplus was simply trying to give the minority in the forum (women) a chance at some prizes. What's wrong with that? Now I know the rules weren't in good taste ('The top 50 liked pictures'), but they could have changed that. I guess The Verge had nothing better to do than to blow something so simple out of proportions. Thanks for the gesture Oneplus. It's just sad how people will continually find a reason to complain/argue/go against something just because.

4. Sammekl

Sammekl Level: Gingerbread

Should of thought of the consequences before launching the thread and creating false hopes...

5. mandylee

mandylee Level: Honeycomb

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  6. Graham_w_94

Graham_w_94 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

You did good to involve woman, people are just too sensitive!

7. Illiesyna

Illiesyna Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

It's a shame people took it the wrong way... I was just about to post my picture too :( At least I have a nifty avatar now.

8. beleaf

beleaf Level: KitKat

Wise decision removing the contest. It was a popularity contest more than trying to get women involved in technology, especially with how the content was written.

vinter, AmanoJyaku, zzzal and 11 others like this.
  9. 70n

70n Level: Jelly Bean

Fake and gay

10. EvilSpeaks

EvilSpeaks Level: KitKat

Tell them I'm free and single and they will come

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  11. mareoser

mareoser Level: Honeycomb

That is a good question!! if you guys found out let me know!!!

12. Xeph20

Xeph20 Level: KitKat

You had your heart in the good place but it was wrongly executed

beany, volteon, pquirk777 and 9 others like this.
  13. juanardeparis

juanardeparis Level: Éclair

UPDATE:

I just got an update from Carl about the prizes for those who participated:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/for-those-who-participated-in-the-ladies-first-contest.87222/

-------------------

Thanks for the update @Carl.
    I don't think the contest was at all as it has been portrayed in some of the tech blogs like The Verge, hence why I participated. It seemed like a good contest to me, it even encouraged me to subscribe to the forums! We live in a time where 80% of us post stuff to social networks like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, just to receive a few likes. I don't see why doing the same thing in a contest would 'objectify' any women, but I understand that some people might see it that why, therefore I think that cancelling the contest was the right move.
    Keep up the great work!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    signa, Proioxix, solrac.wdc and 19 others like this.
  14. prstorero

prstorero Level: KitKat

I don't think it should have been pulled, but of course many people and media will bash you for it and call it "sexist".

I'll also leave what I posted in another thread "Good grief. So they're giving the minority (women) a much better chance at winning an invite in a predominately sausage fest of a forum, and you have an issue with that? I don't mind if they allow a much smaller group of people a better chance to win...."

15. David_22

David_22 Level: Honeycomb

The intention is what really matters

Abhijeet357 likes this.
  16. Seddary

Seddary Level: Jelly Bean

No woman No cry

euuop, ottovillem, SteveXT and 9 others like this.
  17. WarNeverChanges

WarNeverChanges Level: Gingerbread

18. Bilhouse

Bilhouse Level: Gingerbread

19. jshjx

jshjx Level: KitKat

i dont see anything wrong with the contest. people are just too sensitive! im happy with how u guys went out to try and give out more invites. cheers to you guys! keep it up and dont let haters pull u down

20. Martin Hotmann

Martin Hotmann Senior Moderator

I thing the Women Thread was a cool Idea ;)
    *Thumb up*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.