Reboot / Unable to unlock with fingerprint

1. G_Sydney_De_Vos_ojAe Eclair Feb 16, 2017

G_Sydney_De_Vos_ojAe, Feb 16, 2017 :
    Unable to unlock with fingerprint and forced to enter PIN on random moments. When this happens it shows the same warning as when the device has been rebooted even though no reboot has taken place as far as I know.

[UPDATE] I've come across several posts here talking about random reboots. Maybe this could be the problem here and it seems that many users are encountering this. I experienced this both on Oxygen 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 as well

2. Master_TC Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2017

Master_TC, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Yes i have this issue sometimes too.
    But the phone doesn´t reboot, it thinks it has rebooted. I have locked and immediately unlocked again. The phone wanted the PIN after unlock with fingerproint.

3. wenna Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 17, 2017

wenna, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Same here.... have you got aggressive doze enabled? I'm speculating that maby after aggressive doze has kicked in it shuts down some process involved in this?

4. Lee_G3 Froyo Feb 17, 2017

Lee_G3, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Yes, I see this as well, had it this morning. I know it didn't reboot, as I have a SIM lock enabled, and a reboot would trigger this, but I was not asked to enter my SIM lock PIN. Is it a security thing? I have a work iPhone 5S, with fingerprint scanning enabled, but after some time of not using the fingerprint unlock, it then asks me to use the PIN code to unlock first. Wondered if it could be something similar?

5. Onkar.Singh Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2017

Onkar.Singh, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Guess this may be worth a try >>>
    Please register all sides of your finger while adding your fingerprint.
    Make sure there is no liquid or other material between the sensor and finger when trying to unlock the device.
    Wipe the scanner with a clean cloth regularly.
    Try pressing firmly and, if that doesn’t work, try pressing very lightly. Press the power button for 10-15 seconds to restart the device. Try the fingerprint scanner again when your phone turns back on.
    Make sure your device is up-to-date. Delete all the fingerprints and register them again.

6. Lee_G3 Froyo Feb 17, 2017

Lee_G3, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Unfortunately, it's not an issue with the fingerprint not being recognised. It's just that on waking the device it asks for the PIN to be input, with no option to use the fingerprint scanner.

7. Praty_28 Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2017

Praty_28, Feb 17, 2017 :
    I think its becaue of systemui crash, sometimes systemui stops responding and restarts in the background which causes the phone to soft reboot which you wont notice as it happens very quickly. Some other causes may be the alternative screen lock methods set for example using gestures to lock screen using nova launcher causes same problem!. Unfortunately i dont know of any workarounds that might help fix this issue but i would suggest you try to figure out some pattern maybe after using a specific app the systemui crashes? If nothing is found factory reset would be your last option!

G_Sydney_De_Vos_ojAe and wenna like this.
  8. Lee_G3 Froyo Feb 17, 2017

Lee_G3, Feb 17, 2017 :
    It depends on how you define a soft reboot or systemui crash? If I look at the up time for my phone under status, it shows 190 hours, plus it wasn't a reboot that caused the SIM PIN to be required. It suggests more that the security wanted a confirmation of the PIN before it allowed the fingerprint to be used again.

9. Praty_28 Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2017

Praty_28, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Its not soft reboot actually, i dont know what it's called but its just simply a systemui restart which causes it... it does not power off your device so thats the reason its showing that long uptime.. Im pretty sure thats the reason for it asking for pattern. Im on Resurrection remix rom and i just tried it myself... there's an option inbuilt in the reboot section which is restart systemui after i clicked it i couldn't use my fingerprint for the first unlock which is same as a soft reboot or a reboot! Screenshot_20170217-215947.png

G_Sydney_De_Vos_ojAe and Lee_G3 like this.
  10. rahulmm Honeycomb Feb 17, 2017

rahulmm, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Maybe it is intentional. By making you enter PIN at random times, and at restart, OnePlus is making sure that you don't forget the PIN, in case the fingerprint reader fails in the future.

G_Sydney_De_Vos_ojAe and Lee_G3 like this.
  11. Lee_G3 Froyo Feb 17, 2017

Lee_G3, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Ah ok, could definitely be a possibility then. Not much I can do about it, and not a major pain by a long shot, just a minor inconvenience :)

12. Lee_G3 Froyo Feb 17, 2017

Lee_G3, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Could be that as well. As I say, I know Apple does this after a while of inactivity, and according to Google they will force this after 48 hours of not logging into the phone, for security purposes.

G_Sydney_De_Vos_ojAe likes this.
  13. Master_TC Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2017

Master_TC, Feb 17, 2017 :
    Yes it´s activated

14. mospeada88 Froyo Feb 18, 2017

mospeada88, Feb 18, 2017 :
    On the opposite end, my friend had problem with phone refusing to lock. It took two or more factory resets for him to discover that his Watch or more specifically, Android Wear was interfering/incompatible with his 3T. ;)

15. lostLambda KitKat Feb 18, 2017

16. wenna Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 18, 2017

wenna, Feb 18, 2017 :
    He probably had his watch added as a trusted device.

17. mvha Donut Apr 8, 2017

mvha, Apr 8, 2017 :
    This is the reason. I'm using Naptime form Francisco Franco and agressive doze always put my fingerprint reader off.