Camera Rear camera Auto focus issue while on video

1. sajeed Honeycomb Jan 17, 2017

sajeed, Jan 17, 2017 :
    Having the latest op3t with 4.0.1 and I find that while taking video with the rear facing camera camera is very unstable with Auto focus. I can say most of the time we didn't get clear video. Is any body facing the same? What setting to keep with camera regarding focus?

2. G_mfaiz_pawaskar_PTEH Cupcake Jan 19, 2017

3. Dunnow KitKat Jan 19, 2017

Dunnow, Jan 19, 2017 :
    everyone is facing that issue. trust me. Every single device running OxygenOS has that issue.

People will tell you they are fine, but it's not true. They just don't see it, use it, or mind it.

This is something I've been reporting for years already (yes, it's present in OP2 and OPX aswell) and no one seems to care much about it.

There's tons of bug reports and people speaking about this, and the company has done nothing to address this issue.

4. Dunnow KitKat Jan 19, 2017

Dunnow, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Here's more threads like this one:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...-video-recording-needs-to-be-improved.481482/
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/auto-focus-hunting-in-video-recording.482326/
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/op3t-front-cam-wobbles-a-lot-in-video-recording.481712/
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/autofocus-while-recording-video-is-really-bad.481243/
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-3-video-recording-very-choppy-with-movement.459905/
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/video-recording-bug-what-to-do.435912/
    (There's quite a few more, it's nothing new)

And then there's hundreds of comments around other threads commenting on that issue, probably about 40% of my posts make reference to that one issue.

Either no one cares, or they tell us our HW is broken, to factory reset or that their device "works just fine" which is 100% impossible seeing how many people does notice the issue. Cannot be related to the hardware itself when you see so many different users affected by it.

Maybe @Adam Krisko or @Carl himself want to do a public appearance for this particular topic and give us something more beside the "we are working on fixing bugs"? Because this issue has been there for YEARS already. I fail to see how this has been "been dealing with".

Now it's time to tag interested people on this topic or could chip in on for how long this has been reported for (@dsmonteiro could tell you for how long I personally have called on this issue)

@malidan @Mr. BG @Tobikage @gusuraman @Helen (which is no longer with us, but she got a few PM's from me...) @Waterdroid who seemed interested in the progress on certain things @sfomin also was there most of the times

Maybe this time this issue gets the attention it needs?

5. Mr. BG Lollipop Jan 19, 2017

Tobikage likes this.
  6. Dunnow KitKat Jan 19, 2017

Dunnow, Jan 19, 2017 :
    of trying? caring?

or just me? T_T

malidan and Mr. BG like this.
  7. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 19, 2017

malidan, Mr. BG and Dunnow like this.
  8. Waterdroid KitKat Community Expert Jan 19, 2017

Waterdroid, Jan 19, 2017 :
    I'm facing this issue myself on my OnePlus 3, so there's that. I have no ways to contact or influence the developers whatsoever. It's an increasingly annoying waiting game, but luckily I mostly use the frontcam..

Dunnow, Alvie and Mr. BG like this.
  9. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 19, 2017

Tobikage, Jan 19, 2017 :
    I doubt anyone at OP is concerned about the remaining bugs on the OP2.

Thy can't even get shit fixed on the 3 / 3T.

10. Dunnow KitKat Jan 19, 2017

Dunnow, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Yup, sadly enough, I'm usually right when reporting issues... I think that the problem is that when I say such things, then so many hardcore fanboys come in to say "it's not true" or "it doesn't happen to me" (to then notice they just don't record... which is a different world XD) and then, OnePlus says, oh it's fine and dandy.

Heh that selfie life

oh, that is obvious, but the thing is... it's a problem on the OS, it happens on the 3 and 3t also...

This issue (plus the draining battery one) has made my experience with OnePlus horrific. I could stand with the others but these 2 are just not acceptable...

malidan, Waterdroid and Tobikage like this.
  11. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 19, 2017

youbi, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Thread moved to op3 op3t general support.

Hi,

I'm not sure what type of videos you are talking about, but if it the elements you are recording aren't moving that much you can always try to lock the focus (by pressing a bit on the screen until the circle turns gray. That way it will keep that focus for a while. If the things you are recording are moving objects then it won't really help this trick. :(

I'm not sure how's the op3 focus, haven't tried one, but in the op2 (despite being a bit better now it still definitely has some work needed to be done in that department).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

meatandy likes this.
  12. Mr. BG Lollipop Jan 19, 2017

Mr. BG, Jan 19, 2017 :
    [​IMG]

I hope you will get old too someday.

13. Tobikage Marshmallow Jan 19, 2017

Tobikage, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Aren't we all getting older everyday ? :p

14. Alvie The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jan 19, 2017

meatandy likes this.
  15. Mr. BG Lollipop Jan 19, 2017

Mr. BG, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Why didn't I think of that... :rolleyes:

Alvie, Dunnow and meatandy like this.
  16. rahulkawtge Donut Jan 19, 2017

rahulkawtge, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Hello brothers , do not worry about this its all because during a video shoot outdoor sometimes the aperture do not seem to be proper due to daylighting and trust me even i faced it but chill if its a bug ull surely get an update soon and it's just because of the aperture and no need to worry it happens in my samsung s7 edge too

17. Dunnow KitKat Jan 19, 2017

Dunnow, Jan 19, 2017 :
    update soon is when exactly? If you read my reply, you would've noticed i've been reporting this for more than a year.

my s6edge does not wobble at all. And tho I do not own an s7, I've played with one for quite a while and I see no issue in video. In fact, even at 60fps "darker" video looks better than OP at 30fps...

18. Mr. BG Lollipop Jan 19, 2017

Mr. BG, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Yeah, Soon™️.

I've only been waiting since November 2015,

OP2 owners even three months longer.

It's not going to happen smileyface...

19. malidan Lollipop Jan 19, 2017

malidan, Jan 19, 2017 :
    Yep it's a never ending saga. I'm just amazed not matter which review you watch, they never seem to mention it.
    I suppose the review units must have better camera hardware or better camera software;)

20. Dunnow KitKat Jan 19, 2017

Dunnow, Jan 19, 2017 :
    it's all about the money and reliability.

if a youtuber gets a review unit 3 months before launch, he gets tons of views, which equals tons of money for him.
    if said youtuber, criticizes something, then, as OnePlus already demonstrated with certain tech blog, will not send more units, by taking this stance, other companies see that the youtuber is no longer trustworthy (to sell their product) therefore, they stop delivering goods to such youtuber.

Then the youtuber, doesn't get the views to get the money he wants, so, they are forced to just either lie, minimize the issues to "i'm sure it will be updated" "its early review of sw" just like MKBHD did and keep saying how good everything is.

Curious enough, the SW version that MKBHD got when the reviewed the OP2, to say an example, was a version that broke the camera app every time you used the flash.

It's curious that a youtuber like him never mentioned that.
    I also doubt he didn't notice all the BT music streaming issues OOS has.

Same thing with every other selled out youtuber.

malidan likes this.