RE: Yellow Screen

1. David S. Marketing Staff Member Jun 20, 2014

David S., Jun 20, 2014 :
    A number of threads have been created to discuss the yellowish hue of the screen. We’d like to take this opportunity to give you guys some insights. There are generally two types of concerns: an overall yellowish hue across the entire screen that we will explain in today’s post, and a localized warm hue near the bottom of the phone that will be addressed together with the results of the “Which one is the One” poll/contest on Tuesday.

Yellowish Hue

The yellowish hue that the screen gives off stems from three factors.

First, most display suppliers, in our case JDI (Apple’s iPhone displays supplier), have different factories. Depending on the factory and the batch, the temperature of the screen will vary slightly. We are very strict with our Quality Controls and our screen temperatures are very similar within different batches.

However, this temperature discrepancy exists for most expensive devices in the market, such as the iPhone 5s, the Nexus 5, and the HTC One, despite their strict quality control measures (some examples below).

Second, we deliberately chose a warm IPS screen from JDI because warmer screens display skin tones more accurately in addition to being better for gaming, watching movies, and reading.

Third, the latest update of CM 11S is calibrated to enhance this “warmness” in order to display more realistic colors and avoid fatigue when reading text with white backgrounds.

With the latest software update you can adjust your screen’s hue manually, via Settings > (under Device) Display & Lights > (under Advanced Settings) Screen Color > Custom > Hue.

If you feel these settings are not enough, we’re happy to tell you we are working on making that section more customizable with different colder pre-sets. Just for you to be re-assured that this can be “modified” through software, we have taken two OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black version from the same batch that the phones that are being received now and performed the following test.

We flashed Color OS (China’s OS for the One) in one of them and went to a dark room, downloaded Chrome on the Color OS one and opened it in both devices and typed about:blank in the navigation bar in order to get a white screen. We brought the brightness up to 100% and we took the following picture.

(Left: OPO #1 with Color OS. Right: OPO #2 with CM 11S)

Half an hour later and after flashing CM 11S on the Color OS device and Color OS on the CM 11S device, we repeated the same test. Below you can see the result.

(Left: OPO #1 with CM 11S. Right: OPO #2 with Color OS)

As we promised a few paragraphs before, here you have a few links and images from some of the competitor’s flagships and how their screens differ depending on the batch or factory:

HTC One:

Captura de pantalla 2014-06-21 a les 1.46.03.png

Apple iPhone 5s:

Captura de pantalla 2014-06-21 a les 1.52.25.png

Nexus 5

Captura de pantalla 2014-06-21 a les 1.52.49.png

2. BilalBahamani Level: Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2014

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

3. herbmks Level: Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2014

herbmks, Jun 20, 2014 :
    Thanks for addressing this issue. The haters will finally shut up :)

EDIT: As some people reminded me: haters gonna hate (I was being too optimistic/naive)

EDIT 2: I have my OPO. It might have a slight yellow tint but I am not sure as I can rarely see it so it might be my mind playing tricks on me.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

4. Spexi Level: Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2014

5. Skf123 Level: Lollipop Jun 20, 2014

Skf123, Jun 20, 2014 :
    Wow the Admins are starting to get in contact with us more i am impressed

6. Najuu.s Level: Froyo Jun 20, 2014

corneliu84, tubethai, kacie and 6 others like this.
  7. Bruce Lee Level: KitKat Jun 20, 2014

Bruce Lee, Jun 20, 2014 :
    I had a dream.....and in this dream the talk was over ....everything was fine and we finally received the phone.....and it was before Christmas Eve 2014....

Can we maybe talk about delivery now?!

8. FilthyGrundel Level: Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2014

9. nunomrmartins Level: Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2014

nunomrmartins, Jun 20, 2014 :
    Let's read before any comment
    OK, one concern explained, another one to go.
    Thanks for the update;)

10. dBm Level: KitKat Jun 20, 2014

dBm, Jun 20, 2014 :
    Still kinda missing what half of the complaints are about. The gradient from proper colour to bright yellow at the bottom on some devices.

It's good that you're addressing the colour temperature in general, though!

keen36, Sarahk19, olicoulam1 and 29 others like this.
  11. Hanson Lee Level: Marshmallow Senior Moderator Jun 20, 2014

Hanson Lee, Jun 20, 2014 :
    So you're telling me it's not a manufacturing issue but more of a software default setting?

12. T00Sp00kyFoU Level: Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2014

T00Sp00kyFoU, Jun 20, 2014 :
    Maybe you could have read it before posting to figure that out.

13. pawv Level: KitKat Jun 20, 2014

corneliu84 likes this.
  14. deejay01 Level: KitKat Jun 20, 2014

15. iAmFish Level: KitKat Jun 20, 2014

16. S1423 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2014

17. ronnyh Level: Honeycomb Jun 20, 2014

ronnyh, Jun 20, 2014 :
    thanks for the explanation! I hope you guys won't break ur promise for late June invites! cheers

tabenj likes this.
  18. brittonraya Level: KitKat Jun 20, 2014

19. averyvh Level: Honeycomb Jun 20, 2014

averyvh, Jun 20, 2014 :
    Nice! do any other phones out there have hue-changing built-in? OPO wins again!
    glad to see Oneplus communicating with us.

20. BrettPlusOne Level: Marshmallow Head Moderator Jun 20, 2014