Pete's Perspective: Two Takeaways from the MWC

1. Pete CEO Staff Member Mar 6, 2018

Pete, Mar 6, 2018 :

Hi everyone,

Hope you have all had a great week.

One of my (Chinese) New Year resolutions was to try to write up something every few weeks and share. In a world where it feels the focus has shifted towards tweets, gifs and photo sharing, I think its great (and healthy!) to sit down with your thoughts and write regularly.

I spent last week in Barcelona for the Mobile World Congress -- catching up with friends and our OnePlus teams in Europe, sitting down for interviews with media, and taking every chance possible to soak up the wonderful city of Barcelona. Our global community grew a lot in 2017, and I can really feel this when I join an event like the MWC. Thank you guys for making OnePlus what we are today.

Of course, I also had to find time to look around the MWC, and see some of the new devices out there. Forever a product guy at heart, nothing is quite as exciting as exploring new products and seeing what our incredible brains can create. The smartphone industry slowed in 2017, and volume actually shrank in China, with more players leaving the industry than joining, and newer entrants finding success particularly challenging. This may sound like the industry no longer offers great opportunity, but we are very optimistic and excited for what's ahead.

This year at the MWC, there was less hype and fanfare around the launch of new devices. Many of the people I had a chance to talk to asked about my thoughts on the trend of smartphones becoming more and more similar. This is the reality of the industry, but I feel this trend for now is only skin deep.

For example, I was surprised at how many of the new flagship devices in our industry are still so complicated to use. As technology advances, our tools should become simpler to use. The smartphone should become smarter by focusing on simplicity. Making great technology function simply is not easy. We try to keep our focus on building simple and intuitive smartphones that really work. Thanks to our active online community of users, we are well equipped with constant feedback on building what really matters.

That's all for now - time to get back in the office, roll up our sleeves and get to work!

Never Settle.

2. idkwhoiam322 Lollipop Mar 6, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 6, 2018 :
    The only things good(new AND things that could make a difference in the near future) from MWC this year were the Vivo apex concept(which may not be a concept but an actual design soon™) and the S9(+) dual aperture system.
    My thoughts on MWC from another thread here:
    "The only reason I didn't like the Samsung S9s was that there was no big change besides that dual aperture, but the initial photos by reviewers don't look that great. The Pixel 2(XL) still takes better pics to me.
    The vivo apex may not be just a concept anymore(https://www.gizchina.com/2018/03/05/vivo-apex-officially-launched/ credits to @pa5t1s). I expect the price to be high.
    Nokia, thanks to HMD, looks to be extremely strong in the coming near future."~
    Additional thoughts:
    The Huawei Matebook X Pro looks good, but seems to be costly, thanks I missed this one @gaster. Some more info on this: https://www.cnet.com/news/huawei-matebook-x-pro-mwc-2018/
    The Lenovo Chromebooks were fantastic as well for the price. A NORMAL Pencil as a stylus? Brilliant!

3. luxuskamel KitKat Mar 6, 2018

4. Cheetosdust Jelly Bean Mar 6, 2018

Cheetosdust, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Hey @Pete, nice to see you around the forums. You posting regularly your thoughts can lead other members of the community to do so.

Since this thread is about MWC, can I ask you what do you think about the Vivo Apex? Do you think that model is something OnePlus could implement in a future phone? Or a variant of it?

5. 97pratyush Honeycomb Mar 6, 2018

BeingIncog, Salt505 and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  6. Dresa91 Nougat Mar 6, 2018

Dresa91, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Let's see how Oneplus will evolve with these findings in the future. But don't forget where Oneplus comes from and who Oneplus is made for, @Pete ! :)

7. jimeetjim Eclair Mar 6, 2018

8. NeVeR_SeTTLe KitKat Mar 6, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Thanks Pete for sharing your ideas and opinions! Love to hear more of you and what you are planning for OnePlus as a company. Bring your ideas and opinions here so users may vote on what you want to bring to the table in future OnePlus devices ;) It's a free world, free speech so let's not keep us waiting :D HAHAHA

pa5t1s, ChrisTerp, JSSilv3r and 7 others like this.
  9. idkwhoiam322 Lollipop Mar 6, 2018

Oneplus 6 will have *cough* *cough* a not *cough* *cough* ch *achoo* :rolleyes:

ledsled, Ed_88, GopalB. and 8 others like this.
  10. NeVeR_SeTTLe KitKat Mar 6, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Quit coughing, can't "hear" what your trying to spill out :p

11. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 6, 2018

youbi, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Welcome back. Nice to hear about that new year resolution. :) I'm sure that most of the community will love more interaction from you.

Yeah, I guess that when we go full screen on the front there isn't much more to differentiate. For now we seem to have two major trends, the notch all things, where most try to kill the bezels as much as possible and only leaving it for the essential (nevertheless we do get some stupid versions of it that despite the notch they keep a huge bezel on the bottom :expressionless:) and the minimal versions of bezels like the S9 and the op5T. Any thoughts on which team you like best for you next phone? :p

There is also the Vivo Apex that is kind of thinking of it with a different approach, and yeah, it looks great on paper, but the truth is that moving parts on phones is usually a disaster waiting to happen. :sweatsmile:

Yep, the community is surely a great place to get more info about our tastes and expectations for your next products, I do hope you keep those surveys coming. ;)

finaldentiny, Vinkel, pa5t1s and 13 others like this.
  12. G_Asif_Irfan_SMBJ Honeycomb Mar 6, 2018

13. Punk_69 KitKat Mar 6, 2018

Punk_69, Mar 6, 2018 :
    To be straightforward @Pete , just don't put a notch, and don't mess up the camera like in the previous phones (except the OnePlus one), and put a bigger battery, rest all is fine.

And yes great post, would like to see you active in the forums.

Damonp87, Jrocci, woSch and 12 others like this.
  14. G_deepak_shahi_pgne Cupcake Mar 6, 2018

G_deepak_shahi_pgne, Mar 6, 2018 :
    include OIS.
    increase the size of pixels to at least 1.4 micron.
    my old nexus 5 has a pixel size of 1.4 and OIS.
    OP5T seems like a downgrade from that.

15. idkwhoiam322 Lollipop Mar 6, 2018

Well, it's not only the size of the pixels that matter. But on a smartphone, I'd rather have larger pixels than a higher MP camera.

Damonp87, woSch, luxuskamel and 2 others like this.
  16. gaster KitKat Moderator Mar 6, 2018

gaster, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Hey @Pete Nice to see you again posting a thread by sharing your thoughts. I can agree that this year's MWC wasn't something that excited me that much personally. A few things that I liked was the Apex concept with the 91% screen body, the Huawei Matebook X Pro and that Nokia is keep walking forward even with slowly steps, with a few not bad devices in general. Personally I will always want to see a lot of competition that means it will be good for all of us the customers.

From the other side is good that you was able to watch the MWC and its content before the release of the OnePlus 6. That means you got a taste of what's in the game for the 2018 and with the right steps, ideas and work, can be prepared and provide us the best experience from every angle in the upcoming OnePlus 6. I hope and I wish to be another good year for OnePlus. All the best with well and thanks for your time.

17. Abhi Dahiya Honeycomb Mar 6, 2018

Abhi Dahiya, Mar 6, 2018 :
    @Pete All that OnePlus 6 needs is -

1. Better design (unique like OnePlus 3/3T) which was liked by most OnePlus fans. I would say, bring back 3/3T back design if there is any trouble in new design.
    But please, don't copy iPhone design, enough of this.

2. Better camera (not just hardware but excellent software processing to make use of that hardware)

3. Bigger battery, if you can cram more of it.

4. Find a way to relocate fingerprint scanner to front if possible.

5. And please, don't even think about putting that iPhone like notch up front.

Follow these points and OnePlus 6 will be good to go. There is no need for wireless charging, 2k display etc. Dash charging is good enough. 2k display is for you to decide. I don't emphasize so much on that aspect

18. MhmmtAtes Froyo Mar 6, 2018

MhmmtAtes, Mar 6, 2018 :
    the majority wants portrait mode for the front camera.
    why are you showing resistance

19. malidan Lollipop Mar 6, 2018

malidan, Mar 6, 2018 :
    Interesting to hear the CEO comfirm another replica design is on the way.

Many of the people I had a chance to talk to asked about my thoughts on the trend of smartphones becoming more and more similar. This is the reality of the industry,

Never Settle.

20. Dunnow KitKat Mar 6, 2018

Dunnow, Mar 6, 2018 :
    yet another time some higher up in OP says they will be more involved in the forums... see how this becomes smoke again...