Open Ears Forum: Camera - Hamburg, Germany 2018

1. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Mar 5, 2018

Jimmy Z., Mar 5, 2018 :

Hallo Freunde,

Last Saturday, we hosted our Open Ears Forum: Camera in Hamburg, Germany. The purpose of this event was to have OnePlus camera team members sit together, face-to-face with our users to hear their thoughts and suggestions on how to improve our camera to a new level.

Why we held the Open Ears Forum: Camera

Over the past few years, we’ve been seeing countless stunning photos that taken by our community, and have been receiving some proactive feedback from our community members as well. As the camera is becoming one of the most magical tools inside our smartphones, and it’s yet to fulfill it’s potential, we organized our first Open Ears Forum which focused on our camera, allowing us to do a deep dive into some key topics so we can better understand our users needs to smartphone camera.

What happened

During the event, we split user attendees into four discussion groups, three groups were assigned a member of the OnePlus team, one group with our special guest – Kevin Abosch. We spent the morning to learn everyone’s impression on our camera, alongside with some prove photos shot by attendee themselves. In the afternoon we started with a 5-round blind test, the goal is to know everyone’s taste towards a good photo, under different scenes or light conditions. Then we discussed what makes a good portrait photography. Each group shared their positive and negative experiences with our portrait mode, and together we dug out some key pain points and new ideas, and seek for improvements. We took overall camera user experience as the last topic, and ended the event by a Q&A section, where questions were answered by Becker, our image algorithm engineer, and Carl.

Thanks for everyone’s input. At the end of the day, we got all feedback presentation papers into a thick stack, holding them in hand and we are more than motivated to make our camera better. Openness is a key part of every Open Ears Forum which is why we filmed the day so that those who weren’t able to attend could see what happened.

Before we share what kind of changes are heading to us, we’d like to invite you and everyone who interested in our camera to take part in an online survey [HERE], your voice can make the difference too.

Thank you!

Update: Actions taking place in 2018:
    • Fix compatibility issues with 3rd party camera apps
    • Camera keeps HDR setting from the last time you used the app
    • Optimize panorama experience
    • Optimize editing experience in Gallery collections
    We will continue to collect more online feedback about our camera. Stay tuned for more changes. Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions!

Never Settle
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018

Szymon K., denniskp28, Hige and 82 others like this.
  2. xAphex Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 5, 2018

maheshzx, djnilse, Shiftok and 19 others like this.
  3. Dunnow KitKat Mar 5, 2018

Dunnow, Mar 5, 2018 :
    I was really glad to be part of it. Thanks for the opportunity.

4. Cheetosdust Jelly Bean Mar 5, 2018

Cheetosdust, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Thanks for the update, @Jimmy Z.

I recognize some of the faces in the picture published by Carl and I believe they were some of the best people to represent the community about the subject.

I really hope you take their feedback in consideration. It’s not like the 5 and the 5T cameras are the worst, because their not. But I think OnePlus can do better - and I hope they will.

The 5T will not be the newest phone from the company in a few months, so please take their feedback and make the cameras on the OnePlus 6 the best you can. I have the 5T, so I hope some of those improvements trickle down to the oldest models, but I’m sure you guys know the priority now is the next phone.

Also, here’s a piece of advice: mind the hype you create around the cameras. If the cameras are overhyped to hell and back, you’ll end up with more disappointed customers who think they are buying a DSLR camera. Now, some of this hype it’s not your fault and some of those customers don’t research what they are buying. But have this in mind.

Now, I can’t wait for the video. I’ll be there to watch it.

You guys now have “a thick stack of papers” with the feedback with some of the best members of these forums. Your turn.

5. otto2 KitKat Mar 5, 2018

otto2, Mar 5, 2018 :
    It was a great experience, i m pretty sure we can await some very interesting innovations.
    Thank you ,Oneplus.

6. Witschi262 Donut Mar 5, 2018

Witschi262, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Thanks for having me there. I really enjoyed my stay in Hamburg.
    @otto2 why can I only read your english with a german accent? :p

GhostOne, GopalB., superplus and 11 others like this.
  7. otto2 KitKat Mar 5, 2018

otto2, Mar 5, 2018 :
    You should hear me speaking czech..... :D

GopalB., leroe, Hydra Bob and 5 others like this.
  8. Kunal_Pratap Froyo Mar 5, 2018

Kunal_Pratap, Mar 5, 2018 :
    I wish you guys soon come to Australia. There is a good market for OnePlus here. Glad it went well. Hope to see some improvements based on the feedback by many people in the forum

Salt505 and otto2 like this.
  9. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Mar 5, 2018

dsmonteiro, Mar 5, 2018 :
    First and foremost, I would like to thank OnePlus for giving me the opportunity to say what I had to say but, more importantly, of hearing it. I would also like to personally thank to @Maggie S. for arranging everything, @Jimmy Z. for moderating the kick *** group I was in, @David Y. as well for, well, for being David. :D Oh, and @Duci for being an amazing host!

It's this kind of initiatives that made me believe once more in OnePlus.

I will try to give a more detailed description of the event tomorrow after I fully recharge from the trip... ;)

10. Salt505 Jelly Bean Mar 5, 2018

Salt505, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Thanks @Jimmy Z. The online survey was fun to fill out and I hope that this input goes for a good cause in the camera department :D.

11. sfomin Marshmallow Mar 5, 2018

12. script Lollipop Moderator Mar 5, 2018

script, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Thank you again Jimmy, Becker, David, Eric, Carl, Kevin, and of course Maggie and Duci.

David was faster....

13. jpswer Jelly Bean Mar 5, 2018

jpswer, Mar 5, 2018 :
    I love that these events are happening so much. Filled in the form, really interesting to see the outcome.

14. Leyart Donut Mar 5, 2018

Leyart, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Fix the watercolor effect. This is THE ONLY feedback you should get back out of this farce of open ears forum.

15. F_Nuno_Relvao_wkhW Froyo Mar 5, 2018

F_Nuno_Relvao_wkhW, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Now think about doing a open ears forum for :

Oreo 8.1
    L1 widvine certification OTA
    Treble support Flashing

FS2Fs partitioniing?

16. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 5, 2018

youbi, Mar 5, 2018 :
    I hope it was a fun and productive meeting. Also nice to see some familiar faces there. I hope that you were able to represent us all and show what this community likes and what doesn't like and what most of us expect from an OnePlus Flagship phone. ;)

Can't wait to see what the next camera updates will offer us. :p and what you guys will be cooking for the next phone.

I also wonder how some of the first face to face meets went. :eek:

You call this the 2016 flagship killer?!? :mad:

Here, you can have mine and try to get it to focus!!!

17. haimgreenberg Honeycomb Mar 5, 2018

G_plusone likes this.
  18. Dunnow KitKat Mar 5, 2018

Dunnow, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Ha, it wasn't even worth it really... won't change a thing, has been so long already I lost all hope regarding that... Too bad x'D

I don't know if he even realized it was me.

19. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 5, 2018

youbi, Mar 5, 2018 :
    I know. :sweatsmile: But thinking about it, I guess it was the first image it came to my mind about the meet. :p :D

Now a bite more serious, I do hope you had the chance to explain what you think that needs to be improved. After all, sometimes there isn't nothing like a face to face meet to get the message delivered.

20. Dunnow KitKat Mar 5, 2018

Dunnow, Mar 5, 2018 :
    Most of us agreed on the same points, I did insist a bit more, regarding video, if @David Y. confirms that we can just chat about whatever happened i'll get into details