OP2 Oxygen OS 2.1 Encryption

1. sixdaysandy Eclair Sep 25, 2015

sixdaysandy, Sep 25, 2015 :
    Does anyone know, or can the Devs or Tech Support tell me whether Oxygen OS 2.1 on the OP2 uses Qualcomm Hardware Encryption, like CM on the OPO or whether it still uses the legacy AOSP software encryption?

Just asking as I'd like to encrypt my OP2 but don't want to have to suffer the performance hit of the AOSP software encryption implementation.

2. jonathanblim Froyo Sep 25, 2015

3. nirmalkurienmathews Gingerbread Sep 25, 2015

nirmalkurienmathews, Sep 25, 2015 :
    You're likely to suffer the performance hit with your device.. Encryption is still not a good idea with Android when you consider the performance. I don't think OP is using any Qualcomm hardware feature as I heard they tried to use a cheap version SoC with OPT.

4. sixdaysandy Eclair Sep 27, 2015

sixdaysandy, Sep 27, 2015 :
    I can confirm live chat support is terrible. Just kept on saying the phone supports both software and hardware encryption, and didn't seem to understand what I was saying.

I'll raise a proper support ticket and see if I get any sense out of them.

exphk likes this.
  5. jonathanblim Froyo Oct 2, 2015

jonathanblim, Oct 2, 2015 :
    any update on this? Very curious, as I used the encryption on OX 2.1 and don't really notice a difference but then again I didn't spend much time without it and I was on OX 2.0.3 at the time so hard to tell.

6. exphk Eclair Oct 3, 2015

exphk, Oct 3, 2015 :
    Hi mate, please do let us know the answer if you get it.

7. sixdaysandy Eclair Oct 4, 2015

sixdaysandy, Oct 4, 2015 :
    Still waiting for a response from the support team, will post an update if/when I get one.

8. kc3cjr Eclair Oct 5, 2015

9. sixdaysandy Eclair Oct 12, 2015

sixdaysandy, Oct 12, 2015 :
    I got an answer, which wasn't the one I expected.

"Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting customer support from OnePlus. I am Yoyo from OnePlus Headquarters in Shenzhen.

Please know we did not develop Qualcomm encryption in OnePlus Two. We apply arm64 hardware accelerated encryption in OnePlus Two.

Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Yoyo"

So neither of the things I expected. So I encrypted today anyway to see if I noticed a difference. So far I haven't noticed any change in the speed or responsiveness.

I ran AnTuTu benches pre/post and again negligible differences overall (actually higher post enc).

If there's any tools anyone would like me to run on an encrypted device to compare let me know.