OnePlus Two: Oxygen OS, Encryption & OTA Updates

?

Would you prefer to have the Oxygen OS or CyanogenMod on the OnePlus 2?

1. Oxygen OS

31.7%
  2. CyanogenMod

68.3%
  1. a212 Cupcake Sep 10, 2015

a212, Sep 10, 2015 :
    Hi guys,

I've had a OnePlus One for while now and I love it. Managed to convince a friend to pick up the OnePlus Two, but I hadn't realized that it ships with Oxygen OS and there is no official CM ROM for it yet.

He needs to run IBM Notes Traveler on the OP2 for work, which I believe, requires the phone to be encrypted. Following are my questions:

1. Is there a way to run IBM Notes Traveler without having to encrypt the phone?
    2. If the phone has to be encrypted, what is the right way to do it in Oxygen OS?
    3. Once the phone is encrypted, does it affect the performance?
    4. After encryption, if there is an OS update, will it be possible to install it without having to wipe the phone?

Appreciate any input, thanks!

2. vito Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 10, 2015

vito, Sep 10, 2015 :
    I love OxygenOS for its almost stock overall design and also for the usefull tweaks that come with.

For the encryption question, I'm sorry but I don't know. But it should be possible I guess.

3. ceccorubik Honeycomb Sep 10, 2015

ceccorubik, Sep 10, 2015 :
    I think you can do encription and there won't be problems in the future because oxygen is an official rom so it must support encription. You can do it from settings then security

4. Gamm86 Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2015

Gamm86, Sep 10, 2015 :
    Neither, they both suck.

Know that OTA's are likely to fail if your phone is encrypted.
    The chances of getting stuck in a bootloop are very real!

5. rathernicelydone Gingerbread Sep 10, 2015

rathernicelydone, Sep 10, 2015 :
    My OPO has Airwatch MDM installed so I can receive work email, calendar etc and so my work can remote lock, wipe etc in case it gets stolen. My phone received the latest Cyanogen update OTA and installed perfectly. I've never had a boot loop. I'd be surprised if MDM couldn't be installed on Oxygen...

6. a212 Cupcake Sep 10, 2015

a212, Sep 10, 2015 :
    Will I be able to run IBM Notes Traveller with Airwatch or is this more of an IT solution that needs to be purchased and deployed?

7. rathernicelydone Gingerbread Sep 10, 2015

rathernicelydone, Sep 10, 2015 :
    Well IBM Notes Traveller is now IBM Verse and that is available on Google Play Store so I would think yes. I installed Airwatch via Google Play Store and followed the instructions my company gave me so I guess they have implemented an IT solution that has been purchased and deployed. Note my company asked me to use the Airwatch version of Mail and Calendar not IBM...

8. Pdajah Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 10, 2015

Pdajah, Sep 10, 2015 :
    For encryption, under Security settings, you need to provide a password and be connected to the mains. The impact on performance is on first booting the device, there is a delay as it does the unencryption prior to normal use. After that no real impact.

a212 likes this.
  9. JPA380 Eclair Oct 1, 2015

JPA380, Oct 1, 2015 :
    Hello

Same situation for me : OPT with oxy 2.1 (just loaded) but still not able to instal Notes Traveler that i need for work :(
    After downloading APK installation fail
    Does your friend found a solution ?
    Thanks

EDIT : finaly instal IBM Verse from Play Store, and it works perfectly

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

a212 likes this.
  10. a212 Cupcake Oct 6, 2015

a212, Oct 6, 2015 :
    Did you have to encrypt your OP2?

11. JPA380 Eclair Oct 6, 2015

JPA380, Oct 6, 2015 :
    No just instaled IBM Verse and follow the instructions given by my company. To be honest i still have an issue with push options. I need to look better in the setting. Actualy mail are comming every 15 mn. If i select "real Time" no Mail :-(. I keep surching...

12. slabodnick Froyo Nov 3, 2015

slabodnick, Nov 3, 2015 :
    My OnePlus 2 is encrypted and honestly, I don't see any real performance issues. I also had an encrypted OPO and the only time I noticed performance problems was when I would play back downloaded movies. On OP2, haven't seen any issues. I would still prefer not to encrypt just because I have OCD about performance, but ultimately, I haven't had any problems and battery life has been pretty good. Easily getting me through a day of mixed calls and music for work. Even on the busiest days of phone use (I travel for work), I can expect to have 20% battery by end of day.

Updates also have been fine. On OPO there was an issue when going from CM11 to CM12, and I just wiped my phone. For OP2, everything has been smooth.

islamtaalab and digglesworth like this.
  13. rezn Cupcake Mar 29, 2016

rezn, Mar 29, 2016 :
    Hey guys. So I got my son the OP2 about a month ago, mostly because I wanted one and also for the price and performance of the OnePlus phones. A couple days ago my son decided to Encrypt or Encrypt lock his phone. And now we aren't sure how to turn this off? Is there anyway to do so? Even a full wipe etc. He is 13 now and I had previous taught him how to use my BlackBerry Z10's and Z30's. Both of which he did great with.

14. IlMiSeR Eclair Mar 30, 2016

IlMiSeR, Mar 30, 2016 :
    I'm a Notes/Domino administrator, I can say that if your admins managed to force device encryption they probably are avoiding rooted devices, so keep oxygen.