OnePlus 5: Photo Review by Alessandro

1. JoypadRotto Gingerbread Jul 15, 2017

2. luuxter Froyo Jul 15, 2017

luuxter, Jul 15, 2017 :
    I loved your review, Alessandro! I was wondering if you have some tips to take better photos with the OnePlus 5 or smartphones in general, seeing that you are a 'real' photographer.

3. Drofidnas Gingerbread Jul 16, 2017

Drofidnas, Jul 16, 2017 :
    Too much hype is made about camera functions. It's the same when the Nokia 1020 came out. Far too many complicated features for average people when the majority of everyone's photos end up on Instagram or Facebook, being viewed on small screens. Sure, professionals will play with the settings but I haven't a clue what most of the stuff means, nor do I care and when I have played with them the results are crap because I don't know what I'm doing. It will be left in auto mode like 95% of smartphone users.

TDarwald and meatandy like this.
  4. Johan_Nordén Cupcake Jul 16, 2017

5. tonyw Gingerbread Jul 16, 2017

tonyw, Jul 16, 2017 :
    In which case the photos will be fine because no one will see grain and watercolour painting on small screens

jferraz likes this.
  6. G_Govind_Vaikar_TMAr Cupcake Jul 16, 2017

7. p51d007 KitKat Jul 17, 2017

p51d007, Jul 17, 2017 :
    Understand 100% Most people just want to take them out and take photos.
    I'm just the opposite. I've had cameras of one sort or another since I was a kid in the late 60's.
    I even helped my dad develop photos in a dark room, when he was a newspaper photographer.
    I had a "really important" job. I rocked the developer & stop baths back and forth LOL.
    My first SLR back in the early 80's didn't have any automatic functions. 100% manual. You learned
    by trial and error. Since back then, you didn't see what you shot until you had the film processed, I
    got in the habit when I had the time, to write down in a notebook the frame number and the camera
    settings. After a while, I got pretty good at setting up everything before I took the photo.
    I got my first dSLR in 2010, and just upgraded to a Nikon D7200 about 6 months ago. I don't think
    I've used the "green A" mode but maybe one or two times.
    Most people use auto...it's quick, it's easy and 99% of the time it does pretty good, and as you mentioned
    most people using a "phone camera" don't want to fool around with a bunch of settings, they just want to take it out and use it, and be done with it.

8. abhisingh4k Cupcake Jul 17, 2017

9. SomeOneDudOrg Cupcake Jul 17, 2017

10. G_David_Franson_QUGg Cupcake Jul 17, 2017

11. G_Thue_Wæhrens_PFJO Cupcake Jul 17, 2017

12. KongSothea Cupcake Jul 18, 2017

13. Go2007 Cupcake Jul 18, 2017

14. G_Monco_Carser_waLN Cupcake Jul 18, 2017

15. javimdiaz Donut Jul 18, 2017

javimdiaz, Jul 18, 2017 :
    I disagree on the sub-par quality. The Oneplus 5 delivers amazing results with the x1 f/1.7
    back camera considering the sensor size and the pixel microns.

Also, raw processing is quite smooth thanks to the huge RAM.

1500372592270.jpg

tokektokek likes this.
  16. aris Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 18, 2017

17. jpcaudill Donut Jul 18, 2017

jpcaudill, Jul 18, 2017 :
    Biggest issue I've seen with the camera is with focus. It seems to have a very hard time focusing even in reasonable lighting situations. It eventually gets there but often not before the photo has already been taken. My Nexus 6P was lightening fast with focus and rarely did I have blurry shots. And this is with letting the camera determine where to focus and also forcing it to focus in a certain area. If that was fixed, I'd be content. I do agree the Panaroma's suck.

18. F_Dominic_Mahon_dGYW Froyo Jul 18, 2017

F_Dominic_Mahon_dGYW, Jul 18, 2017 :
    Getting annoyed at the misunderstanding by nonprofessional photographers in this community, this is not a professional sensor but a mid range.

You don't open a mid priced bottle of wine and expect it to be nicer than a more expensive vintage year.. or buy a 9 carat gold ring and expect it to miraculously become 24 carat, do you?

So why are you expecting a mid range sensor to do same, it produces excellent results but is not a dslr camera, and not expected to produce top of range professional results, if you want a pro sensor get a camera, or choose to pay a lot more for your next OP phone.. just saying

TDarwald and Carlos D. like this.
  19. simonlee.ca Honeycomb Jul 19, 2017

simonlee.ca, Jul 19, 2017 :
    Completely agreed. IMO, phone camera is for point and shoot. It needs fast and sharp focus, good depth of field. It should focus to do what it is good at, and not try to do what a SLR can do. Physical limitation dictates, and there are only so much software can do. It may look OK in the eye of a casual user, but not a real professional.