OnePlus 5: Photo Review by Alessandro

1. alessandromichelazzi OnePlus 5 Sample Shot Photographer Jul 10, 2017

alessandromichelazzi, Jul 10, 2017 :
    Hello to all the community of OnePlus! :)

This is my first post, so I want to introduce myself: I'm an owner of a studio of photography and graphic design based in Italy. We work with portrait / fashion photography and 3d / CGI rendering.

I had the opportunity to collaborate with OnePlus for the launch of the OnePlus 5: for this purpose, I've shot many pictures during the pre-release period getting out the best of the camera but also giving an opinion of what the team could improve. It has been an amazing experience and you can see the results of these months of shooting on the blog article I've published here:
    http://www.alessandromichelazzi.com/one-plus-5-photo-review-professional-photographer/

Then I've also published a video in which I analyze the shooting mode on the OnePlus 5:

Feel free to write your comment and opinion and to ask questions! :)

Attached Files:

2. sfomin Marshmallow Jul 10, 2017

3. Afazak Cupcake Jul 10, 2017

Afazak, Jul 10, 2017 :
    I see vertical shadows in my camera app! and they are visible when I playback video recordings! anyone having the same issue?

F_Vidya_Sagar_smIe and l_oaf like this.
  4. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Jul 11, 2017

David Y., Jul 11, 2017 :
    Grazie Alessandro, beautiful pictures.

Alessandro is one of our OnePlus 5 sample shot photographers. Everyone here are welcome to ask him questions you most interested about the OP5 camera, be nice and have fun together. :)

OALEXANDER, l_oaf, gaster and 7 others like this.
  5. bpwest80 Jelly Bean Jul 11, 2017

bpwest80, Jul 11, 2017 :
    I captured a ghost in one picture I took with my OnePlus 5 camera. Freaked me out! It's got to be a pretty good camera to capture something that doesn't even exist! It was even in portrait mode!!

Jalaj94, Sand33p, Htsri and 21 others like this.
  6. Anthony Ginepro Eclair Jul 11, 2017

Anthony Ginepro, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Nice collaboration with OnePlus in order to have feedback from demanding professionals,
    When do you use RAW mode instead of compressed JPEG ?
    If you shoot in RAW, which application do you use afterwards (if you can tell ?).
    Finally, what do you think of the landscape mode on OP5 camera ?
    Thanks !

l_oaf and Daasty like this.
  7. mazlum1991 Gingerbread Jul 11, 2017

mazlum1991, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Ghosts are there but never **** with it [e]1f602[/e]

l_oaf and bpwest80 like this.
  8. mr_priyanshu Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2017

l_oaf likes this.
  9. Nithin_Joseph Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2017

Dunnow, G_Kalaidos, l_oaf and 2 others like this.
  10. mywolf2 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2017

mywolf2, Jul 11, 2017 :
    maybe it was a jelly ghost

11. DoubleBock Donut Jul 11, 2017

l_oaf likes this.
  12. alessandromichelazzi OnePlus 5 Sample Shot Photographer Jul 11, 2017

alessandromichelazzi, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Ciao @Anthony Ginepro , your question is very interesting and need a bit of discussion!
    I remember the days back when I got the OnePlus One and I was jumping on the chair since was one of the first smartphones EVER to allow raw DNG capture that could be edited in Lightroom (I did a blog post back on the time: http://www.alessandromichelazzi.com/modern-smartphone-can-raw-dng-shooting/).

Today, I feel the things have changed. Both camera (see Fujifilm that I use professionally ) and smartphone are able to achieve stunning results using the internal algorithm and output the file in .jpg
    Furthermore, when you shot in DNG, 'cause the file is without any processing on it, you lose some powerful enhancement of the smartphone algorithm as the HDR and powerful noise reduction that usually works with average of noise taken in multiple instantaneous shots.

So, my final suggestion would be: use the automatic (yes, i suggest it!:)) with HDR mode for the 90% of the situation. Use the Pro mode with DNG when you want to capture something very difficult to expose and you want to control it, or you want to use long exposure time (like to achieve the silky effect of the water flow).

For editing raw, I use Lightroom Mobile, since with the Creative Cloud subscription I have, I can also sync the files directly through the clouds and edit them on mobile or desktop with the same quality and results.

Shooting jpg and editing them on mobile, instead, I prefer to use Snapseed, since it can give me more option, like a sort layer/photoshop editing. I'm planning some video tutorial how to use it on my youtube channel!

13. Waka_Yama Honeycomb Jul 11, 2017

l_oaf and andber like this.
  14. Anthony Ginepro Eclair Jul 11, 2017

Anthony Ginepro, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Grazie mille Alessandro for your honest feedback and insights in your photo processing ! Jpeg treatments improved a lot in the last few years and even on my DSLR I use it for HDR (more convenient than bracketing and merge pictures later). I enjoy also Snapseed or Adobe Lightroom for the same usage !

l_oaf likes this.
  15. TonioLA Honeycomb Jul 11, 2017

TonioLA, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Your results are impressive... Are you shotting in manual or auto mode?

How can you get this low level of noise in low light?

Ony pictures noise is terrible...

l_oaf and andber like this.
  16. salvo.cagliari Froyo Jul 11, 2017

salvo.cagliari, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Grande Alessandro! Ti seguo su twitter e voglio complimentarmi con te per i tuoi scatti, sei riuscito a sfruttare al meglio le potenzialità di questo dispositivo. Da appassionato di fotografia sto apprezzando moltissimo la modalità PRO di questo smartphone, con i giusti tempi di esposizione ed un treppiedi riesco a catturare degli scatti incredibili durante la notte!

l_oaf likes this.
  17. alessandromichelazzi OnePlus 5 Sample Shot Photographer Jul 11, 2017

Ciao @Waka_Yama and @TonioLA . For night shot picture I suggest to use two way:
    - In Auto mode, keep your hand has much steady and try to capture shots where there's at least a spot of light. Without any light in the picture, I can assure you that even professional camera has difficulties to keep the image very clean. Shooting in Auto mode the device use some automatic noise reduction algorithm that works very good!

- In Pro mode, you could set a low ISO value (like 100/200) and then use a small tripod (I'm using http://amzn.to/2t9EPhL and http://amzn.to/2sLjgoi) to shot with the long exposure time. It's honestly a not shot-and-go solution, but if you want to achieve perfect night shot this is the best way to do it.

About the noise: I can't understand users that complain about it... we shouldn't forget that any recording system has a background noise, that even expensive camera shows noise in the picture. I would say that the level of noise we have with actual smartphone equal the one I had with my previous generation of Pentax DSLR, so not so bad for a device that fit in my pocket! :)

danydm85, CeeTeePee, Qazi.Rza and 7 others like this.
  18. alessandromichelazzi OnePlus 5 Sample Shot Photographer Jul 11, 2017

Grazie mille Salvo! Hai detto una cosa giustissima come da mia risposta poco sopra dove mi chiedevano dritte sulla modalità di scatto in nottura! :)

l_oaf, David Y. and salvo.cagliari like this.
  19. [email protected] Froyo Jul 11, 2017

l_oaf likes this.
  20. salvo.cagliari Froyo Jul 11, 2017

salvo.cagliari, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Esatto, in questo scatto ad esempio c'era davvero pochissima luce ( non badare al soggetto, era solo una prova) ma impostando come tempi di scatto 10 secondi e ISO 250 il risultato è impressionante!

Translation: Exactly, this picture was shot in extremely low light condition, with 10 second of exposure time and ISO 250 and the result is amazing!
    1499777209113.jpg
    ( the subject is really ugly but i was just trying the PRO mode).

Packers, l_oaf, whatnoww2 and 2 others like this.