OxygenOS OnePlus 5 bootloop after oreo update

1. fahmin.ahmed Donut Dec 24, 2017

fahmin.ahmed, Dec 24, 2017 :
    hi, im sorry if there is another thread on this but i am unable to find it. i basically downloaded the oreo update on my oneplus 5 and proceeded to update the phone after the update completed and the phone restarted it went into the oneplus boot animation but was then stuck on that boot animation for 20mins. now my phone keeps getting stuck on that boot and wont start. i can still access fastboot and recovery and my phone has an unlocked bootloader.

please help!

2. amicitas Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

amicitas, Dec 24, 2017 :
    I am having the same problem. After receiving the OTA update, my phone has been stuck in the boot animation for about three hours. I finally tried holding the power until my phone turned off, then restarting my phone. It went right back to being stuck in the boot animation. I am unsure how to proceed.

3. surindergill123 Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

G_Nirmal.K_Menon_NaDh likes this.
  4. Android-Andi Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 24, 2017

Android-Andi, Dec 24, 2017 :
    maybe you should mention what version of you have been on previously?
    locked bootloader?
    custom recovery installed?
    rooted?

5. amicitas Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

amicitas, Dec 24, 2017 :
    I was on the previous OTA update (from a week or two ago). Unlocked bootloader, no custom recovery, not rooted.

I have tried wiping system settings and cache, which did not resolve the issue.

6. fahmin.ahmed Donut Dec 24, 2017

fahmin.ahmed, Dec 24, 2017 :
    i fixed the problem. all i had to do was sideload the oreo update again using adb and it fixed it. somewhere during the process the files must of corrupted which i dont understand how it could have happened.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  7. suyang74 Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

8. Deathmist_ Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

Deathmist_, Dec 24, 2017 :
    I have the same problem on my 1+5 128GB here, I was on OOS 4.5.14, was rooted using Magisk, had some modules on as well, unlocked bootloader, franco-r11 kernel & phone won't boot into OOS 5.0. I couldn't access the files from TWRP as my filesystem (for some reason) is encrypted by default, booting into OP recovery didn't help either, just encrypted dir names. I will try the ADB sideload method and report back if I have any success.

9. Deathmist_ Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

Deathmist_, Dec 24, 2017 :
    This is really annoying, I cannot do anything in any recovery as the files are shown either as encrypted text or not shown at all (TWRP). I don't think I'll be able to salvage my data. Better just wipe everything & never touch OOS ever again. It was so troubling from the beginning when I switched to it and wanted to give it a shot; seems like they haven't changed it basically at all. Gonna go ROM hunting now, this is ridiculous...

10. Arlaine Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

Arlaine, Dec 24, 2017 :
    Same problem here, lost everything, tried to recover. Couldn't even sideload through the official recovery, I had to "fastboot boot twrp.img" then sideload from within twrp, was able to get back to oxygenOS 4, got the OTA update, let it do its thing, and now its still stuck in a boot animation after updating

11. Slovaku Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

Slovaku, Dec 24, 2017 :
    Okay,i just updated my OP5 and ...surprise, stuck at loading "dots" ... i'm downloading OnePlus5Oxygen.zip to recover somehow my phone,but its dead from what i see now...

12. vivald Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

vivald, Dec 24, 2017 :
    same issue here: had before the latest nougat version with open bootloader. also tried to flash via adb but still the same. also cannot flash any other rom I think. So maybe this update bricked my phone...

13. amicitas Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

amicitas, Dec 24, 2017 :
    I tried sideloading the newest OTA. The installation showed as successful, but went right back to the stuck bootloop. I then tried sideloading an older version of OxygenOS 4.5.15, however this fails at about 47%.

14. amicitas Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

amicitas, Dec 24, 2017 :
    I was eventually able to load 4.5.15. My phone now gets past the boot loop, but gives me an "Encryption unsuccessful" screen. This has me worried that I may have lost all the data on my phone. Unfortunately (and stupidly) I did not make a backup of anything before allowing the OTA update.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

15. apu2009 Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

apu2009, Dec 24, 2017 :
    I'm in the same situation as @amicitas. Had the most recent OTA update, with an unlocked bootloader but no custom recovery or rooting. Stuck in the spinning atom animation with red/white circles. Very disappointed that this happened, going to try and sideload and will post back.

16. Slovaku Cupcake Dec 24, 2017

Slovaku, Dec 24, 2017 :
    I'm lucky...i managed to recover my dear phone.
    So you have to do something like this (worked for me)

Put your Oneplus 5 in SIDELOAD (to transfer flash file from PC to OP5)
    you need to download ADB driver
    I downloaded OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_019_all_1710311604_e278653ff79644a5 and moved it to C:/adb folder
    (When you install adb driver,you will have C:\ADB\ , open command prompt (Using SHIFT + right mouse click -> Open command promt window here)
    Rename OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_019_all_1710311604_e278653ff79644a5 to ONE
    In command prompt (with your phone in SIDELOAD MODE type this:
    ADB SIDELOAD ONE.ZIP
    and wait.

F_Yasin_Hasan_oTBq and Jeet77 like this.
  17. 3p1phany Cupcake Dec 25, 2017

3p1phany, Dec 25, 2017 :
    There's a thread on this over on XDA that might help some of you. Read the thread, don't just follow the instructions at the top as it may not work. There are some solutions depending on your situation deeper in the thread.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/official-stable-oxygen-os-5-0-update-t3724247

Best of luck. Since I held off to see if there were issues I think I'll just wipe and lock my bootloader then do a stock update and worry about twrp/root later.

18. apu2009 Cupcake Dec 25, 2017

apu2009, Dec 25, 2017 :
    Just finished sideloading on OSX. It's not booting so far, still stuck in the spinning circles.

What I started with: Latest OTA, unlocked bootloader, no rooting. Tried updating via OTA while connected to the dash charger, got stuck in the spinning circles after the update "completed". Decided to sideload...

What I did:
    Downloaded the update file to the desktop
    Opened up my terminal
    Booted the OP5 into recovery
    Selected the option to install an update from ADB
    Back in the terminal, I typed:
    adb sideload ~/Desktop/OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_027_all_1712231851_8d16de8.zip
    Once it finished, I selected the option to reboot on the phone.

Been waiting for 10 minutes now, still stuck. Beware and do your backups.

@3p1phany I'll check that thread now, thanks for posting it.

19. asch99 Cupcake Dec 25, 2017

asch99, Dec 25, 2017 :
    @Slovaku what version of OxygenOS were you running prior to you attempted upgrade to Oreo? 4.5.14 or 4.5.15?

20. apu2009 Cupcake Dec 25, 2017

apu2009, Dec 25, 2017 :
    Well, the sideload didn't work so I had to do a complete factory reset. What a load of BS. On the plus side I have a nice clean install now, but got damn it what a waste of time. If you haven't updated already, I'd say wait to have the issues resolved.