OnePlus 2 CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 v2.1

1. Pete CEO Staff Member Jun 17, 2015

Pete, Jun 17, 2015 :
    810_Forum.png

Today, I am proud to share with you that our eagerly-awaited OnePlus 2 will come loaded with the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 810 v2.1 processor, engineered for OnePlus and our next generation flagship phone. Just like we did with the OnePlus One, our engineers debated endlessly over which CPU would be the perfect fit for the 2. While we played around with other options, we always came back to the 810. Its speed and ability to multitask while maintaining optimal battery performance remain unmatched amongst others in the industry.

Dubbed as the “ultimate connected computer processor”, the 810 v2.1 puts desktop-grade computing power into the palm of your hands. With eight CPU cores and 64-bit computing, we chose the 810 to be the driving force behind the OnePlus 2’s impressive specs. When paired with the 2, this means better video, a quicker camera, and an unbelievable gaming experience.

Features that the 810 supports include streaming 4K Ultra HD video, amazingly crisp and fast photos with one quick snap, immersive 3D gaming brought to you by the first-in-class Adreno 430 GPU, high-quality video streaming that uses less bandwidth, and exceptional battery life.

Last year, when we were building the foundation of OnePlus, our focus was on working with the best companies and partners. We refuse to compromise on either quality or performance, and we believe that Qualcomm and their engineering team will deliver the best user experience to OnePlus users because they always have. When companies trust each other, great things happen.

Although there have been reports that the 810 runs warmer than its predecessors, we assure you that we have taken all the necessary precautions and beyond to prevent this from occurring in the 2. We worked very closely with Qualcomm’s engineers to integrate an improved version of the chipset (v2.1) in the OnePlus 2, and fine-tuned both hardware and software. The 2 will be “cooler than ever”.

Inside the 2, the 810 consists of several CPU processors. Layered on top of these processors is both thermal gel and graphite placed across different areas of the phone. This graphite ensures that heat generated from the processors will dissipate evenly, as opposed to being concentrated and leading to performance issues. After rigorous testing, the 2 meets the industry standard for phone temperature, even with hours of use.

As for software, OxygenOS has been optimized to work beautifully with the Snapdragon 810. We’ve created a proprietary technology, which handles a variety of tasks for the chipset inside the 2. Of the aforementioned eight CPU processors, these vary in size for different tasks in the phone. For example, one or two of the larger processors would be used for graphics-heavy gaming, while in contrast, the small processor would be used for simple text messaging. In layman’s terms, one of our ROM’s features is to intuitively know which processor should be used for what task, and it avoids using two or more processors that are right next to each other.

The OnePlus 2 has been a long time in the making. To be quite honest, we’re excited about this one, and we’ll be revealing what’s inside the 2 piece by piece. The 2 packs some outstanding specs that need to be powered by more than just any processor, and we couldn’t be happier with our choice. The Snapdragon 810 v2.1 is just the beginning of something beautiful.

2. J0han Jelly Bean Community Expert Jun 17, 2015

J0han, Jun 17, 2015 :
    Welcome back to the forum @Pete!

It'll be interesting to see how well the OnePlus 2 will perform in daily use. I'm still impressed by how smooth OxygenOS runs on the OnePlus One. Considering this, I've set my expectations about the speed of the OnePlus 2 very high. Taking into account that the Snapdragon 810 should improve the power management as well it's a done deal.

This phone will be a beast just as long as the SoC can keep itself cool without compromising speed!

3. astrogabba Gingerbread Jun 17, 2015

4. joantheboss3 Honeycomb Jun 17, 2015

5. Maximus Decimus Meridius Lollipop Senior Moderator Jun 17, 2015

Maximus Decimus Meridius, Jun 17, 2015 :
    Thanks! @Pete! Long time no see!

@dsmonteiro i told you: revised sd810! :)

Interesting! :D so we need a matching screen with it!

:rolleyes:

can't wait!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

portree2k, jmhashmi, lllzh and 21 others like this.
  6. johnbocalig Eclair Jun 17, 2015

Eley31, Jupeeeeee, portree2k and 3 others like this.
  7. Neil McCluney Jelly Bean Jun 17, 2015

Neil McCluney, Jun 17, 2015 :
    Brilliant - can't wait to buy

portree2k, d3gn and giman1 like this.
  8. Sparkolo Jelly Bean Community Expert Jun 17, 2015

Sparkolo, Jun 17, 2015 :
    Being honest I don't really know if I'm happy or not.
    Snap 810 is well-know for its heating issues, but it's still better than ANY Mediatek SoC (just think about modding).
    This being said the S810 v2.1 should be the same one of the Xiaomi Mi Note Pro, a great phablet without many issues. I hope that hardware & software optimization will result in a good and cool performer.

Now let's hope in a FHD screen, 'cause I've yet to see a 2K phone with a GREAT battery life (like the One) :p

9. Squartes Eclair Jun 17, 2015

10. risky1301 KitKat Jun 17, 2015

11. kpaton Honeycomb Jun 17, 2015

kpaton, Jun 17, 2015 :
    Glad to see the fix to the over heating problem. I'm excited for the 2!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015

12. ninjasumit Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 17, 2015

crist125, portree2k and d3gn like this.
  13. RemiC Froyo Jun 17, 2015

14. marcvento12 Jelly Bean Jun 17, 2015

15. geneticmaterial Froyo Jun 17, 2015

16. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jun 17, 2015

17. JasonOnTwoWheels Honeycomb Jun 17, 2015

portree2k, d3gn and mantas001 like this.
  18. legoalcubo Donut Jun 17, 2015

portree2k, d3gn, caldrich and 3 others like this.
  19. Waterdroid KitKat Community Expert Jun 17, 2015

Waterdroid, Jun 17, 2015 :
    Ohh you bet it is!

[​IMG]

20. tiagomadeira Eclair Jun 17, 2015