[Official] Here's how to back up your OnePlus Device

1. Gary C. OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Feb 9, 2018

Gary C., Feb 9, 2018 :
    Backup_forum.png

Friends,

We recently announced the OnePlus Switch, our new migration app to make joining the OnePlus family a little easier. We are happy to let you know we have a new update arriving at the Google Play Store. This past September, we hosted in London our first Open Ears Forum. Our users asked for a simple and intuitive way to back up their OnePlus devices. We took your feedback to heart and have been working hard to find an efficient solution.

We're excited to announce that now OnePlus users will also be able to use OnePlus Switch to backup their devices. While Google apps have offered a limited backup function for a while, OnePlus Switch allows you to generatea backup file and safely transfer to your computer offline. This way, you can quickly backup your device to your computer when you're working with CS, wherever you are. It's also handy for those of you who like to flash new ROMs. Instead of having to redownload each app, you can restore your device in a matter of minutes.

Here's a short video to give a sense of how quick and easy we've made this backup process.

Whether you're a long-time member of the OnePlus family, or making the jump soon, we welcome you to give this app a go! We'd love to hear your feedback.

Never Settle.

nemani22, inkaine, doekus and 254 others like this.
  2. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Feb 12, 2018

youbi, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Glad to see that the Oneplus switch app is learning new tricks. :)

I guess it doesn't fully backups the apps data, but is a nice step in the right direction, I hope soon you can really completely get your phone back to where it was just with a simple steps.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

3. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Feb 12, 2018

An.I.Am, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Finally I don't have to re-download 10GB of apps every time I flash another ROM. :D

4. Cheetosdust Jelly Bean Feb 12, 2018

Cheetosdust, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Hey @Gary C.

thanks for the update, especially this part:

It will also be useful when the next OnePlus device gets here. ;)

5. AnonymousWP Honeycomb Feb 12, 2018

AnonymousWP, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Nice, but does OnePlus Switch encrypt the back-up or is everything in plain-text (although it's not really applicable to some file-extensions)?

6. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Feb 12, 2018

dsmonteiro, Feb 12, 2018 :
    I quite like the app, but app data backup would take it to the next level. Any timeframe for an implementation?

karthikb89, Lirbra, Buzzinga and 26 others like this.
  7. F_Alauddin_Akash_LNID Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 12, 2018

G_plusone likes this.
  8. varma246 KitKat Feb 12, 2018

varma246, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Thanks for the app, appreciate it.

We "need" app data backup option .
    Yup , i used the marvelous/famous words in the forum "we/need" :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

9. luxuskamel KitKat Feb 12, 2018

Punk_69, otto2 and G_plusone like this.
  10. jimeetjim Eclair Feb 12, 2018

jimeetjim, Feb 12, 2018 :
    That's a huge relief! But hope its completely user friendly and not at all tedious! Basic thing to backup.. But always its been tedious to do so.. Hope this is solved this..

11. GopalB. Lollipop Feb 12, 2018

GopalB., Feb 12, 2018 :
    Saw the changelog this morning...
    And already done with the backup too... :)

otto2 and superplus like this.
  12. macemoneta Gingerbread Feb 12, 2018

macemoneta, Feb 12, 2018 :
    App data (reconfiguration) is where I spend the most time these days (about 6 hours for the last phone swap). The apps download pretty quickly automatically with Google's backup. The user data I can backup easily. The app data requires that folks run the tricky adb backup or root their devices and use Titanium. It's always been a weak spot for Android.

abdullaamori, hboa, kapilathi and 6 others like this.
  13. nyzproof333 Jelly Bean Feb 12, 2018

nyzproof333, Feb 12, 2018 :
    My feedback is your company cant be trusted.

Oliver Lutz likes this.
  14. NeVeR_SeTTLe KitKat Feb 12, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Thanks for the update on the OnePlus Switch :) I hope that someday I can experience it, and I think that I will experience this shortly when I will switch over to Freedom OS :D

15. G_FOX_kUVE Froyo Feb 12, 2018

G_FOX_kUVE, Feb 12, 2018 :
    This makes a factory reset way more attractive after a bug!! Thanks OnePlus team! Great Idea

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  16. idkwhoiam322 KitKat Feb 12, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Got the update 2 days ago, it seems to backup quite quickly, never tried the restore though!

MikeG247 and Abhi Dahiya like this.
  17. Dextter Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 12, 2018

18. G_Vinicius_Castro_AERW Gingerbread Feb 12, 2018

G_Vinicius_Castro_AERW, Feb 12, 2018 :
    Back up is pretty useless as makes the backup on the SD card, which does not is supported. So if you make a factory reset you will lose it.
    Also, it should backup the home screen settings and personalization too.

19. 97pratyush Honeycomb Feb 12, 2018

20. rhq15 Froyo Feb 12, 2018

rhq15, Feb 12, 2018 :
    This is an amazing addition to the app. However as it's a new feature, it IS pretty buggy. I started backing up my phone and then decided to cancel midway so I pressed the cancel button. A loading symbol popped up and stayed there however the app wouldn't stop backing up the phone in the background and the backup percentage kept increasing. I closed out of the app and opened up a normal texting app to go on with my day. The phone began completely glitching out. The screen went black and vibrated once or twice. Then the unlock pin came up but the background was completely black, the only thing visible was the number pad. After typing in my pin code the app repeated the exact same thing again. I typed my pin code again and this time Finally the app actually closed out. Very weird glitch, hope you look into it but I have to say, the simplicity of the app is very appealing. Keep it up OnePlus.

Lirbra and biomade55 like this.