[Mega Thread] Project Treble for OP5

1. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 9, 2017

2. sprashant01 Eclair Dec 10, 2017

sprashant01, Dec 10, 2017 :
    OnePlus is saying that it not safe to create pratition via ota so won't it possible for oneplus to implement project treble and those want project treble can manually flash it . can it made be possible ?

3. idkwhoiam322 Jelly Bean Dec 10, 2017

idkwhoiam322, Dec 10, 2017 :
    No, the only way would probably be completely wiping data as well(complete factory reset), but so many people here do stuff without reading anything, and then spam the forum with stupid complaints, I don't think it will happen.

4. Musicfly Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

Musicfly, Dec 12, 2017 :
    I used to use Xiaomi Mi 2S. That device initially does not support upgrading to Android 5, because the system partition is too small. So, they actually published a full system upgrade package so that everyone can flash it. That package merges the data partition back to system partition.

I don't see there's any trouble there. Thousands of people flashed that zip file, and they are all fine. Stop using it as excuses, we all know it is a lie.

The real reason why OP refuse to implement Project Treble is because they do not have time to redesign the system structure. OP5T must be announced before the end of the year, otherwise people will lose their interest because of the announcement of Snapdragon 845. Since OP5T is a slightly modified version of OP5 -- only screen is changed, they can use the entire design of OP5. Nice try, OP.

This work around bypasses Google's requirements (All Oreo phone must support Project Treble). Now we get a semi-finished phone with a broken support on Android Oreo, and they saved millions of time on redesign the system.

Now they can keep focus on designing OP6 instead of investing money on an old phone. Like many people mentioned before, upgrading existing system to support Project Treble won't help them sell more devices. It is not profitable.

In the end, I want to say: well played, OP. This will be the last device I buy from you.

Btw, to those who claim Project Treble will not benefit the users: with project treble, google will take charge of upgrading the system, the manufactures will only supply their drivers. Think about how fast it would be for manufactures to upgrade their phones, because they will never worry about the Android part.

5. Nimit Chopra 59 Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

6. Denis303 Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

Denis303, Dec 12, 2017 :
    Open Google, tipe Project treble, pres search!

7. kaihp Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2017

8. kaihp Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2017

kaihp, Dec 12, 2017 :
    So Project Treble divides the Android OS into the OS Framework and a Vendor Implementation (you could call this a "HAL" - Hardware Abstraction Layer). This means that Google can update the OS Framework without changing the Vendor Implementation, so we get new OS features, improvements and bug/security fixes quicker. All very nice.

But what about the Vendor Implementation? - are there any plans for how the Vendor Implementation gets OTA updated? If not, we're just going to be stuck with the original Vendor Implementation that came with the device in the first place.

I checked the Reddit AMA and a couple of interviews with the Android OS team, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this.

9. felipemendes Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2017

felipemendes, Dec 12, 2017 :
    Same as the OS Framework. Ideally the OS frameworks would be backwards compatible, e.g. an Android P framework would still support and Vendor interface with Android O.

The difference would be that, if the vendor decided to abandon a given device, Google could still keep it reasonably safe and updated (although newer resources can be only accessible through newer vendor interfaces).

10. kaihp Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2017

kaihp, Dec 12, 2017 :
    My concern is not so much new features, but fixes to bug & security issues and as well as general (speed/functionality) improvements in the Vendor Interface layer. E.g., chipset or camera support.

11. felipemendes Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2017

felipemendes, Dec 12, 2017 :
    This would be as bad or as good as today, depending on the vendor.

12. Nimit Chopra 59 Cupcake Dec 16, 2017

Nimit Chopra 59, Dec 16, 2017 :
    ur tipe is also very gud
    well done smartie

Denis303 likes this.
  13. Himanshu0000608 Honeycomb Dec 16, 2017

14. felipemendes Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 17, 2017

felipemendes, Dec 17, 2017 :
    Hey, we're on page 8 and now you ask what is Treble? Also know that it had been explained even here, so, yes, do some search.

15. Nimit Chopra 59 Cupcake Dec 17, 2017

Nimit Chopra 59, Dec 17, 2017 :
    i m not talking about treble i m talking about ur tipe
    its so funny

16. felipemendes Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 17, 2017

felipemendes, Dec 17, 2017 :
    Nothing wrong with my typing, but thanks for the attention.

17. G_Alireza_Amini_ussY Froyo Dec 17, 2017

18. sprashant01 Eclair Dec 17, 2017

sprashant01, Dec 17, 2017 :
    I agree people are careless but if the community is demanding project treble then they should come up with something else, they can ask Google to help other companies how to implement project treble to the recent phone which are launched in 2017 . I don't think it is an impossible task .

19. idkwhoiam322 Jelly Bean Dec 17, 2017

idkwhoiam322, Dec 17, 2017 :
    It actually is, if you know how partitioning works.
    It'll actually divide the partition fine for most devices but the rest will be bricked permanently. So no company would ever take that risk.

20. ibbe96 Eclair Dec 17, 2017