Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole Q. Brand Person Staff Member Mar 21, 2016

Nicole Q., Mar 21, 2016 :
    Hmm

2. Nicole Q. Brand Person Staff Member Mar 21, 2016

@nicoleqiao
    So, @Mike says that you would explain why we do not have Vo-lite and ViLTE on our OPO's, OPT's and OPX's. Do share ... :)[/QUOTE]

Alright. I will try to explain a bit on what is happening. And I would be appreciated if you guys can understand that the following content are just 'nicole-talking', which don't stand for any OnePlus official perspectives. And please correct me if anything's wrong:

So here's the thing: ‘have VoLTE’, is a very complex concept to explain and a not-easy goal to reach.

In terms of technical specs, supporting VoLTE is actually not so hard, but there's still a long way to go for users can actually use it. Why? Because VoLTE is carrier-specific, we needs to meet the carrier's requirements firstly then our users will be able to actually use it.

I was involved in some discussions with carriers and the requirements were just ... a lot.

Both parties will have to reach to a mutual understanding on certain terms, then we need to run all kinds of testings; get certifications; then conduct field testings (like figure out if it is okay if you want to call your friend who has a Nexus on Verizon with your OnePlus phone via AT&T network).

The whole process normally takes several months. If we are talking to several carriers at the same time and conflict occurs (in terms of requirements), we will have to spend more time in development and compliance.

Anyways, our development team has been dedicatedly working on this for a long time. Although I cannot reveal when and where it would happen, but It will happen :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

3. Maximus Decimus Meridius Lollipop Senior Moderator Mar 21, 2016

Maximus Decimus Meridius, Mar 21, 2016 :
    I rlly like your content. This really is an inside look and wouldnt mind seeing more tails about tech and how it is made! :)

SoniaB and Mr. BG like this.
  4. camohan Lollipop Moderator Mar 21, 2016

camohan, Mar 21, 2016 :
    Thanks @Nicole Q , its always nice to hear and learn more about how things work at back-end, to appreciate the efforts and understand the reasons for delay. When it comes to India or any country for that matter, it is really difficult to understand the requirements, specially when the country is wired by so many service providers.

Bringing VoLTE to India would be of a real advantage to Oneplus. I am sure the team are doing ther best. Keep us updated whenever you feel to share.

5. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 21, 2016

Plenkske, Mar 21, 2016 :
    Thanks for explaining this in detail !

Another question, the category of LTE has always been 4 on all OnePlus devices, right ? Is it hard to make that higher ? I think all the CPU's you guys have used support a higher LTE cat.
    This is not only for VoLTE but also for LTE-Advanced data connection :) in other words 4g+

SoniaB and Mr. BG like this.
  6. Mr. BG Lollipop Mar 21, 2016

Mr. BG, Mar 21, 2016 :
    Thank you for explaining :)

To me it am seems very tedious, wishing you success, very rocky Road I think.

I hope you'll get there by the time the OP3 is due.

7. Nicole Q. Brand Person Staff Member Mar 21, 2016

Yes. OPO, OP2, and OPX are all carrying CAT-4. To make it higher depends all if the technology is mature enough to be adopted. Meanwhile, the device cost will certainly increase. So when we are planning the phone specs, a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration to reach to a balance point.

This year, most of the devices would have more advanced LTE infrastructure/support.

SoniaB, Tobikage and Plenkske like this.
  8. IlCieco Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2016

9. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 21, 2016

Plenkske, Mar 21, 2016 :
    Thats great to hear ! Thanks :)

10. Vamshinoora Cupcake Mar 21, 2016

11. nilrb Jelly Bean Mar 21, 2016

nilrb, Mar 21, 2016 :
    Naturally.
    Everything needs to have some thinking behind the adoption especially the cost!!

12. batcha76 Gingerbread Mar 21, 2016

batcha76, Mar 21, 2016 :
    What are they going to do in this forum? They are one of among us. That's all. No use

13. dbthakur Eclair Mar 22, 2016

14. Mr. BG Lollipop Mar 22, 2016

Mr. BG, Mar 22, 2016 :
    O Rly?

Source link please...

15. bombadier KitKat Mar 22, 2016

bombadier, Mar 22, 2016 :
    No way man did I just read actual Oneplus employees actually participating in some tech chat with the little people ? if so I salute the new starts

SoniaB, Tobikage and Mr. BG like this.
  16. bombadier KitKat Mar 22, 2016

17. jkb114 KitKat Mar 22, 2016

jkb114, Mar 22, 2016 :
    You have no evidence either way

18. bombadier KitKat Mar 22, 2016

bombadier, Mar 22, 2016 :
    5 days and we will see
    The burdon of evidence is with the original statement

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

19. Steven G. E-commerce Staff Member Mar 23, 2016

Steven G., Mar 23, 2016 :
    Hi all!

Thanks for your welcome & Mike's intro! It's really great to have such straight communication with you guys!

Yes as Mike said I'm currently taking care of E-Commerce Business issues, from production planning to last-mile delivery, also some user web experience issues - all these are trying our best to ensure you get your phone on time, in full, with comfortable experience. It's more like back-end operations but I'm eager to hear your voice and communicate with you directly. Not only for business, but a family.

Let's think, talk & happy together to make the difference, also create the amazing :)

Never Settle,
    Steven G.

Gaston NP, youbi, jpswer and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr. BG Lollipop Mar 23, 2016

Mr. BG, Mar 23, 2016 :
    Welcome Steven :)

Is it mainly about logistics? To be honest it is not quite clear to me.