Let's Talk About OxygenOS Analytics

1. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Oct 13, 2017

Carl, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Friends,

We take our users - and their data privacy - very seriously. We want to take this opportunity to tell you a little more about data collection on OnePlus devices; explain what we are collecting and why; and map the changes we will make going forward to address your concerns. While data collection is a standard industry practice, we realize that our users have the right to understand how and why it is done. Please know that we take this matter seriously and will proactively take steps to improve going forward.

OnePlus devices using OxygenOS securely transmit analytics in two different streams, usage analytics and device information.

The reason we collect usage analytics through the user experience program is so we can better understand general phone behavior and optimize OxygenOS for a better overall user experience. At any time, users can opt-out of usage analytics collection by navigating to 'Settings' -> 'Advanced' -> 'Join user experience program'.

The reason we collect some device information is to better provide after-sales support. If you opt out of the user experience program, your usage analytics will not be tied to your device information.

We'd like to emphasize that at no point have we shared this information with outside parties. The analytics we're discussing in this post, which we only look at in aggregate, are collected with the intention of improving our product and service offerings.

By the end of October, all OnePlus phones running OxygenOS will have a prompt in the setup wizard that asks users if they want to join our user experience program. The setup wizard will clearly indicate that the program collects usage analytics. In addition, we will include a terms of service agreement that further explains our analytics collection. We would also like to share we will no longer be collecting telephone numbers, MAC Addresses and WiFi information.

We take privacy very seriously and do not share analytics with third parties. Our intention has always been to better serve our users. Looking ahead, we will continue working directly with our users to do so. We appreciate your patience and feedback.

Edited on 10/30/17: All data that was collected on OxygenOS versions where we didn't have an opt-in prompt in the setup wizard will be deleted before the end of November. All analytics data is anonymized and used in aggregate - never individually or shared with third parties. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017

2. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Oct 13, 2017

dsmonteiro, Oct 13, 2017 :
    I'll grab popcorn for the posts below.

Good to see you addressing this, though, @Carl.

Fun fact, no one talked about phone numbers:
    Damn, just read Chris' blog and you did collect phone numbers. Why would that remotely help on after-sales?

@Carl, you said
    So how exactly do
    help to
    ?

Because I don't see how the massive collection of phone numbers, SSIDs and MAC addresses can help with that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

3. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 13, 2017

Plenkske, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Actually, right now Oxygen OS already has this. Or, are you gonna change something in the wizard ?

4. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Oct 13, 2017

rarog, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Does this also mean an update for the OnePlus 2 to address this problem?

5. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Oct 13, 2017

anymore, otto2, pa5t1s and 4 others like this.
  6. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 13, 2017

7. G_plusone KitKat Oct 13, 2017

G_plusone, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Come on Carl you already have all our numbers now.
    What's left to collect :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

8. MrMysakovich Honeycomb Oct 13, 2017

9. smartbuddy Honeycomb Oct 13, 2017

smartbuddy, Oct 13, 2017 :
    After getting caught, you are saying :

Why did you collect this private information without Consent of the customers? What's the guarantee that one plus will not sell the phone numbers to marketing companies?

Forger, toruvinn, ihonize and 31 others like this.
  10. Bartnl Lollipop Oct 13, 2017

Bartnl, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Thanks for addressing Carl!

Funny........27 minutes old post and only the die hard forum members have replied.....

11. Josmulnor Gingerbread Oct 13, 2017

Josmulnor, Oct 13, 2017 :
    I appreciate the post Carl, but let's be clear. You didn't take privacy seriously when you are collecting MAC adresses, telephone number, etc.
    You said the setup wizard is for usage analytics.
    How will we know you're not collecting device information any longer?
    Because that's my real concern. I don't mind sharing with you usage analytics because it's true it helps you improve, but personal information is the real matter.

Thanks in advance.

12. uminium-al Cupcake Oct 13, 2017

uminium-al, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Where can I get a dump of all the data my device was sending to you?
    Edit: And where I can ask to delete all my personal data you collected?

13. Funk Wizard KitKat Moderator Oct 13, 2017

script, pablofg1978 and Sun90 like this.
  14. meatandy Marshmallow Oct 13, 2017

meatandy, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Thanks for reaching out , Carl
    I'm glad to see that you were willing to be as transparent as possible.

15. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Oct 13, 2017

Carl, Oct 13, 2017 :
    It has this on the OnePlus 5, but we're applying it to other OxygenOS devices too now.

In addition, we're adding a description in the settings menu for the user experience program to let people know what sorts of data we'll be collecting.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017

16. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Oct 13, 2017

dsmonteiro, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Did he, though?

Was he, though?

We still don't know why on Earth telephone numbers, MAC Addresses and WiFi information were collected to improve after-sales support. It makes absolutely no sense.

ihonize, snjohn, Jac_Q and 48 others like this.
  17. kyzerdroid Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2017

kyzerdroid, Oct 13, 2017 :
    was clear from the beginning but thanks for reacting so quick to the internet:) should be sticky post

dorusonic and meatandy like this.
  18. luxuskamel Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2017

Dhiren Velari and pa5t1s like this.
  19. eye842 Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2017

eye842, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Well thanks for taking it to the forum and write a few words about it.

So I should expect an update for my OP2?
    Could you throw in Nougat or Oreo while you at it:D Just kidding I know you haven't got a clue what OP2 is.;)

How come you don't call me?:confused:

20. m.avogadro Froyo Oct 13, 2017

m.avogadro, Oct 13, 2017 :
    @Carl I'm now expecting to have:
    • a way to completely disable analytics (Experience Program only or both streams): I want to be the sole owner of my data
    • a way to see what data has been collected since now
    • a way to delete collected info

MvD66, ballytom, Jac_Q and 60 others like this.