Join our OnePlus 5T AMA now!

1. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 7, 2017

rarog, Dec 7, 2017 :
    You can't betatest hardware problems, problems what will occur randomly.

How are you "getting screwed"? Having Treble doesn't guarantee you longer software updates. Absence of Treble doesn't mean there are no updates coming. Somebody (OnePlus or any custom ROM developer) still has to make those updates. Neither me nor you are custom ROM developers and thus don't have any direct advantage from Treble.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  2. nickelodeon Honeycomb Dec 7, 2017

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

G_plusone and Dunnow like this.
  3. G_Paul_Townsend_YOnK Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2017

G_Paul_Townsend_YOnK, Dec 7, 2017 :
    I wonder if OP software engineers have sink tested it in their own labs and, if so, whether bricked devices are actually being seen by them?

It seems to me OP deliberately released the 5T w/o an additional partition so it couldn't ever be updated to Treble. I'm still loving my OP3 but with all the recent issues I'm starting to think it maybe wise to look elsewhere for its replacement next year.

gpolydoros, ninguem98 and tarkzy like this.
  4. G_Paul_Townsend_YOnK Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2017

G_Paul_Townsend_YOnK, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Of course you can beta test hardware problems, if none of the closed beta group have an issue then it's unlikely the open beta group would. If it's released just as a beta and you download it at your own risk I can't see the issue anyway. If it's actually bricking devices and flashing them doesn't bring the phone back to life then that is a different problem.

5. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 7, 2017

dsmonteiro, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Can you afford what a phone with those specs would cost? Or more importantly, are you willing to pay that amount of cash for a phone?

And what imaginary processor would you use to support UHD at 120Hz?

ninguem98, theshinybeast and rarog like this.
  6. tibcsi0407 Eclair Dec 7, 2017

tibcsi0407, Dec 7, 2017 :
    They didn't even want to include treble. If they would want to, the OP5 would already have the partition, since everybody knew that Treble comes.
    It was announced in May, or earlier..
    https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/05/here-comes-treble-modular-base-for.html

Maybe they are just too amateurs to do that, or the real boss (BBK) doesn't let them to do that.

gpolydoros, ninguem98 and G_plusone like this.
  7. Dunnow KitKat Dec 7, 2017

Dunnow, Dec 7, 2017 :
    And certify each one of them...

Teslas are 180.000$ cars that play with their owners lives if something goes wrong.

And teslas are not phones. And they dont need to maintain user data if something goes wrong, becaus its decentralized and on the ckoud. I dont want my pictures and setup on OnePlus cloud.

The problem is REPARTITIONING the device and the HUGE risk of data loss.

OnePlus already played with that once. Amd we bit their hand for it, due to a few users having their phones turned to paperweights.

dsmonteiro and rarog like this.
  8. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 7, 2017

rarog, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Maybe you are just too amateur to imagine, that phones are finalised several months before their release. OnePlus 5 was officially released on June 20th of 2017. And this means that everything was finalised some months before May, because parts have to be bought, sometimes months in advance, they have to be assembled and delivered to warehouses around the world. It not like this is done in the last second with the snips of the fingers. With OP5T that's slightly different, as it was release in November of 2017 when Treble specifications were known, but again I think OP tried to keep everything as similar to OP5 as possible software-wise to reduce the maintenance complexity.

I had the case of a dad who lost all the pictures of his newborn kid and all I could say - sorry, phone can be made functional easily, but all your pictures are gone. It was quite a bitter pill and made me sad. And of course, he could have done backups and so on, but he didn't, he just updated his phone and everything was gone.

ninguem98, youbi and dsmonteiro like this.
  9. nickelodeon Honeycomb Dec 7, 2017

nickelodeon, Dec 7, 2017 :
    New GPS chips will be inexpensive like Bluetooth 5 will not raise the price of the device.

Project Treble will be sported form cheap devices that will be introduced starting January 2018 on CES and February on MWC.

Don't be supersized that mid range smartphones will come with 1 Gigabit LTE in a few months.

Technologies like 120hz refresh rate and UHD Premium playback will cost more but also are major technological breakthrough, I understand that some will not be pleased to pay the price but I can't justify a 500 euro price tag in 5T that can't give as an extra freaking partition on the internal storage. All the major custom ROM developers will look away from smartphones that don't support Project Treble.

As for the imaginary processor that supports UHD at 120Hz IT IS NOT IMAGINARY
    https://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_full_specs_snapdragon_845-news-28620.php
    Xiaomi will be one of the first manufacturers to use it in there top 2018 line in few months from 5T announcement.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

G_plusone likes this.
  10. Hudster2001 Donut Dec 7, 2017

Hudster2001, Dec 7, 2017 :
    I have the one plus 5T, I've had it for a week and love it, would I recommend it to someone else? No. The treble thing is a deal breaker.
    Oneplus will be losing a lot of potential customers over this I think.

L1uck likes this.
  11. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 7, 2017

12. nickelodeon Honeycomb Dec 7, 2017

A few lines below

13. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 7, 2017

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/26/phones-updated-support-project-treble-continuously-updated/

Check the list. Google. HTC. LG. Nokia. OnePlus. Samsung. Sony.

All these brands are not implementing Treble on their devices that weren't released with Oreo.

Check the launch prices on the models from the brands above. Every single one of them except two of the Nexuses had a higher starting selling price.

rarog likes this.
  14. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 7, 2017

You keep insisting on that one. That's for VR, as the spec sheet clearly states. It also clearly states that only 60Hz is supported in 4K displays.

And again, check online for 4K 120Hz panels. I can only find a mention from Samsung for 3.5" displays made specifically for VR. There aren't any 4K 120Hz displays for smartphones.

15. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 7, 2017

Project Treble has nothing to do with the cost of the device. It will be implemented on every single device running Oreo. It's not available on devices that run on previous Android versions. And as you can see, other brands are also not implementing it. In fact, most aren't.

rarog and theshinybeast like this.
  16. nickelodeon Honeycomb Dec 7, 2017

Sorry my mistake, thanks for the info. But that doesn't change the fact that technologies like 120Hz refresh rate displays and UHD Premium playback are coming on 2018, probably in Oneplus 6 in less than 6 months, even that are not supported both at the same time.

17. Dunnow KitKat Dec 7, 2017

Dunnow, Dec 7, 2017 :
    but that is the point.

If I lose data, it's provably application data, I have my dropbox, dropsync, google drive, google photos and mega stuff already safe, but, people doesn't know they can enable a backup, it's not as obvious as iPhones make it to be.

I would not mind saying, OK, lets have OP potentially brick 5% of the devices, knowing everyone has backups, but it's not like that.

I mean, we all know I'm far from pr0 OP doings, but cmon... the last thing we need now is a company that bows to pressure for things that will not be OK for everyone.

I don't even know if OP still ships with their gallery, but, for me, the install / setup process should already trigger the user to enable google photos backups. (And still, photos fails to automatically backup new folders, it puts a notification, but people doesn't know what they are touching most of the time)

Google should just release a "on click backup" solution. Where it basically enabled APP data backup + automatically connects apps that can use drive backup (whatsapp-like) and multimedia in google photos.

Then, if OnePlus fucks up playing with partitions would be "as simple" as just reflashing the OS

rarog and dsmonteiro like this.
  18. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Dec 7, 2017

UHD with 120Hz won't be a reality before 2019, perhaps not even then. I do believe that we might start seeing some 1080p and QHD displays with 120Hz, though, thanks to Razer.

UHD however doesn't seem to make any sense and isn't having any traction in the smartphone market. I for one don't want to spend extra for a feature that makes no sense to me, especially with mobile VR being as underdeveloped as it still is.

19. G_juan_sebastian_caicedo Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

G_juan_sebastian_caicedo, Dec 7, 2017 :
    This is easy, this could be an excuse in the 5, but in the t? jajajajs oneplus please......you won't support project treble because this will stop the argument to present a device every 6 months....the next oneplus 6 will go out with Oreo so yes oneplus will support treble and we will see @carlpei saying , we listen our community we never settle so now we bring treble support....xD I bought the 5t after the 5 with all my love , leaving my 3t , but now with all my love I will sell my 5t to buy a essential phone. because I trust in a phone who was a shit his first days but after listen the ppl and do the things right like updating the camera and all ,they say we will make the effort to be inside treble that is never be settle , no this. could be an excuse in the 5 ..the partitions but in the 5t ....lol sad really..

20. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 7, 2017

rarog, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Indeed. As much as I dislike Apple ecosystem, the backup possibilities are one of the biggest advantages over the Google ecosystem with possibility to restore everything, apps, data, files. And they should do it for the sake of user safety. Because John Doe doesn't care for backups until it's too late. And this would truly help solving migration problems.
    Today an advanced Android user still needs TWRP + Nandroid backup or root + Titanium Backup to migrate from one device to another. But I wouldn't want to explain my grandmother how to do this. And I couldn't explain it.

youbi and Dunnow like this.