Join our OnePlus 5T AMA now!

1. G_Eslan_T_ODzz Cupcake Dec 6, 2017

G_Eslan_T_ODzz, Dec 6, 2017 :
    I don't understand how other companies like Huawei or Essential were able to create Treble ready Oreo. Please change your mind or you will lose many clients and the company will lose credibility.

2. GraveDigger176 Cupcake Dec 6, 2017

GraveDigger176, Dec 6, 2017 :
    For your install instructions of the OpenBeta 1 for the OnePlus 5, they don't work as provided. I follow the steps as provided and the Phone hangs in the rounding points for 20minutes and doesn't boot. Then i booted back in stock Recovery and did a wipe cache and then i try to reboot in the OS, but it hangs on the same rounding points as before and didn't boot. Booted back in stock Recovery again and did the Wipe everything step and dang the Phone boots properly. So my thoughts are, you should be updated your instructions for install Oreo coming from Nougat. The way back instructions from Oreo to Nougat works perfectly.
    And treble is for me not a deal to buy or buy not a Phone, that doesn't matter to me :):cool:

3. lgp Honeycomb Dec 6, 2017

lgp, Dec 6, 2017 :
    No treble is just sad. Please work something out. Other OEMs succeeded. I dont even mind wiping my phone just to get that.

4. gpolydoros Froyo Dec 6, 2017

gpolydoros, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Another fine excuse by OnePlus! So, 500€ for a Nougat device with a Van Gogh camera that never seems to improve, a retarded Alert Slider that can't work with auto DnD rules, a "keep flashing till we get it right" attitude that may result in 30 betas and 3 or 4 consecutive OTA updates with the same changelog, and of course no Treble support...

Geez, these guys couldn't get anything right if their lives depended on it...

G_plusone and Dunnow like this.
  5. CommanderROR Donut Dec 7, 2017

CommanderROR, Dec 7, 2017 :
    I understand the reasoning for OnePlus not wanting to risk OTA repartitioning. However, when the 5T was launched, the requirements for Treble were already known. Adding that partition from the start would have been no problem at all.
    Someone at OnePlus made a conscious decision not to support it. Or they just didn't care enough to loom into it.

It's sort of stupid though. Same as the fact that they launched the 5T with Nougat, while they already had a working build of Oreo for the OnePlus 5 which shares a lot of Hardware with the 5T.

It all come together as the following to me: OnePlus would have gotten my money, despite the weak camera, but like with their previous phones, there is always something slightly fishy about their releases. And their claim that they offer fast Software Updates is a joke. Sure, they're not the slowest, but seeing that they use pretty much stock Android, they should be way ahead of Samsung and others, while in reality they often don't have much of an advantage if any at all.
    Treble would have helped with that, and offering the Update to Android 8.1 right after Google launched it (like today) could have been the first showcase result. Instead, their newest Flagship launched with an outdated OS, will remain on the OS till sometime next year and then might have to go through 8.0 and then 8.1 Updates around the time when the next year's flagships are launched, which will come with Android 8.1 AND Project Treble onboard...

Samurachi, gpolydoros and G_plusone like this.
  6. dcmcc24 KitKat Dec 7, 2017

dcmcc24, Dec 7, 2017 :
    I do not buy your explanation. That is why you have BETA teams. You put treble support in and release it to CLOSED beta members and then OPEN beta members if the closed beta is successful. The beta testers are there to ensure something like a brick would be in a small pool of people!

ninguem98 and CommanderROR like this.
  7. tarkzy Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

tarkzy, Dec 7, 2017 :

8. tarkzy Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

9. Dunnow KitKat Dec 7, 2017

Dunnow, Dec 7, 2017 :
    And then people sell it to you as "they update a lot" while saying "samsung does not update ever"

Yet... samsung provides monthly updates AND they don't need 30 betas to get something to work out of the box.

10. xoqes88 Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2017

xoqes88, Dec 7, 2017 :
    After years of not commenting here I just saw this comment and like "first comment, some fanboy kissing oneplus ***"

Somethings never change

gpolydoros likes this.
  11. Dunnow KitKat Dec 7, 2017

Dunnow, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Didn't MIUI, back in the day they were a fork from CM repos, repartition the SGS or SGS2 to get more space?

I also believe CM10 to 11 or something like that played with the partitions. I remember ******* mine up and running two times the flash process to see if the second one had already proper partitions to begin with, but I might be also confused on any other data-migration they did

I believe LeTV and Samsung, both with their respective Odin-like sw allows you to set a new partition table too

So, it's not that uncommon, but again, it's not an OTA either...

rarog likes this.
  12. subaash Gingerbread Dec 7, 2017

subaash, Dec 7, 2017 :
    YOu
    You mean the buggy android o and shitty updates that follows after that. For god sake you guys only have handful of devices to support and you're making shitty excuses saying you can't deliver treble for the flagship. How shitty is this? About "committed to deliver high quality and stable major os " how retarded are you guys. Your codes with your phone doesn't differ much and yet your doing lazy shit work. Come on one plus you're better liar than this crap you've written here. Another device in 6 month time wiith treble will be the worst decision you guys will make and trust me ONE PLUS WILL FALL..... PiSt off ONEPLUS5 owner and EX STILL PIST OFF ONE PLUS 2 OWNER...NO MORE ONE PLUS FOR GOD SAKE. I WOULD RATHER SHELL OUT FEW HUNDRED MORE TO GET A PIXEL DEVICE...

gpolydoros and G_plusone like this.
  13. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 7, 2017

14. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 7, 2017

rarog, Dec 7, 2017 :
    AFAIR you are 100% right on this, but Odin isn't a public tool officially, it's definitely not made for public, and much can be done wrong, I remember "biting my fingernails" when I used Odin some years ago, as this were my first steps with it and I integrated SuperSU into the system image. OnePlus (or actually Qualcomm) equivalent is the MSMTool, I think there it's also possible to work some magic. But this one isn't meant for public either.

And that's the point. People who are doing this gain much more knowledge on what they are doing and whose fault it is, if something goes wrong.
    If something goes wrong via official OTA even for a small percent of people this scales up to many support cases. And I think or hope that OnePlus learnt its lesson after so many people lost their data if they updated OP2 to M, had their data encrypted and had disabled the Google bar. And that one was a problem that they could have solved during OTA with proper scripting and it wasn't that nobody warned them of the problem after the first beta was published and long before it was rolled out for everybody. Remembering that still makes me facepalm.

Dunnow likes this.
  15. subaash Gingerbread Dec 7, 2017

subaash, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Aren't customers are always right still a thing. We are the king. Without consumer there is not selling power. We will blame because one plus didn't give their devices to us for charity. We bought using our hard earned money. Money talks and so does the consumers. So just listen and improve and don't be a one plus biatch.

gpolydoros, ninguem98 and G_plusone like this.
  16. Arlaine Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

Arlaine, Dec 7, 2017 :
    It's sad seeing OnePlus back down on Treble support.

At least offer it as a manual optional update from your website for users willing to take the risk.

When making a backup of your phone is so trivial it feels like a cop-out to say youre worried about users losing their data.

17. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 7, 2017

rarog, Dec 7, 2017 :
    How can you say "always right" in a case where there is no majority, nothing that makes everybody content? Should OnePlus get a list and give different customers different updates just because somebody demands it?
    Imagine you are a car seller and you sell me a normal car that needs the usual E95 petrol. And suddenly I and some other customer start demanding a hybrid car that also can use LPG. And demand it for free. You you take the car back or reconstruct it for free just because I demand it? Despite the car was never advertised as being fit to use LPG.
    You could call me king, but king of fools with such demands.

It's not just as simple as "optional update", they would need to double the amount of compilation time and supported update paths as for every variant without Treble they would need to produce a 2nd update with Treble.
    And please tell me, how YOU, (yes, you personally!) would make use of Treble and what advantage would it give you above the current variant?

18. subaash Gingerbread Dec 7, 2017

subaash, Dec 7, 2017 :
    we are in a world where Tesla is making history with their cars..so they update cars each year..and they support their older cars with software support..one plus can't be lambo but can try being Tesla at least..

19. subaash Gingerbread Dec 7, 2017

subaash, Dec 7, 2017 :
    don't we have beta team for this..how ignorant can a one plus team be..beta team..test treble support with a closed beta and then open it and then push it..is it hard..oh ya .yes for one plus since they are small company with no tech supply..the same shit they say..

20. subaash Gingerbread Dec 7, 2017

subaash, Dec 7, 2017 :
    Yes I'm pist because I bought this phone with my hard earned money. you can't deny that..trusted one plus after one plus screwed one plus 2 support. yet I bought op5 and again getting screwed because of their incompetency is basically makes me to consider my options..I'm pist yes..because I have the right to. you can't take it away..I'm pist..not only me 15k petitioners are pissed ...

tarkzy likes this.