Join our OnePlus 5T AMA now!

1. stin00 Froyo Nov 27, 2017

stin00, Nov 27, 2017 :
    Don't buy any Oneplus device if you want proper update support for 3+ years, they will never give that.

2Track likes this.
  2. slyverin_d Gingerbread Nov 27, 2017

slyverin_d, Nov 27, 2017 :
    since both OP 5 and OP5T having same hardware under the hood with same pricing too I hope OP will not obsolete OP5 much before OP5T as this will really upset OP5 user and I hope you guys know upsetting customer is not really good for the company's future sales

3. M1511716420329 Cupcake Nov 27, 2017

M1511716420329, Nov 27, 2017 :
    bought a 5t yesterday and I feel like the charge is draining a little fast . is there any solution for this

4. twaffle Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

twaffle, Nov 28, 2017 :
    So now that people have made the mistake of accidentally adding the Plus 5 wood skins to their 5T order, any ETA would be GREAT before I end up ordering cases I don't want.......... Just give us a general idea for crying out loud.

5. chinmai560621 Cupcake Dec 1, 2017

chinmai560621, Dec 1, 2017 :
    Can you guys improve the smoothness on OOS ? It's snappy but nowhere near smooth. Please check in on the GPU profiler graphs from time to time.

6. mikey Gingerbread Dec 2, 2017

mikey, Dec 2, 2017 :
    One Plus ultimate holding company has OPPO and VIVO for that :)

7. mikey Gingerbread Dec 2, 2017

mikey, Dec 2, 2017 :
    The one and only thing I have a problem with on both the 5 and 5T is the odd way the dialler seems to call people randomly after a call. This happens on any 5/5T I have messed about with.

Any chance of updating the dialler in future?

8. Sambhaji1Choudhary Cupcake Dec 2, 2017

Sambhaji1Choudhary, Dec 2, 2017 :
    Why there was some bezzle at the bottom of the screen in oneplus 5t. Im sure going forward may be in OP6 or 6t we would have that design where bottom bezzle is replaced by screen making it more than 90% screen to body ratio phone. Same could have been placed it 5t az well. Bit disappointed [e]1f625[/e]. This is problem with oneplus they upgrade too little for keeping it for next release. #OptimisticOnePlus5TOwner.

9. OmegaHsu OxygenOS Team Staff Member Dec 6, 2017

Stickied Post
    OmegaHsu, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Yes, we are happy to share our rationale. Recently, we received requests from users and community members, some of which signed a Change.org petition to support Project Treble on the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T. Project Treble is a really exciting technology, but it is not the right fit for us now. I assure you we’re still updating our devices and will continue to deliver high-quality, stable software updates. That being said, we always welcome feedback, and I want to further shed some light on why we are not implementing Project Treble on these devices.

Project Treble requires a storage partition, by which the Android framework and vendor image are separated. However, because partitions were not required of Android N and previous versions of Android, all of our current devices do not feature a partition. According to our tests, if we were to modify the partition layout via OTA there is a risk that devices will brick during the partitioning. We feel this poses too great a risk for our community of users, which is why we have decided not to implement Project Treble on current OnePlus devices.

While Project Treble can increase the rate of Android OS updates, it mainly accelerates the Android framework updates. We were one of the first manufacturers to release an update to Android O. Our software team is committed to delivering high-quality and stable major OS upgrades, and we will continue to look for ways to improve the quality and rate at which we deliver software updates in the future. That being said, we look forward to the future of Project Treble, and how it will evolve to better support devices ahead.

10. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 6, 2017

youbi, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Thanks for the effort on explaining the why. :) This will always be better than ignoring what the community asks. ;)

And currently the state around here is "Lets Treble all things". :D :p

This is really not my area, so I can't really comment on the technic parts you talked about. :sweatsmile: But in theory if it is really a big risk I get the choice. And like you said, as long you keep doing your work, and give fast and good updates, most users will surely be happy also.

11. NovinDavis Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2017

NovinDavis, Dec 6, 2017 :
    If Google says that starting from Android P all phones required a extra partition .. will that mean we will not get any new Os updates ?? Because I remember Google said Vulken API was necessary for nougat for Oneplus One.

And also that how Did phone like Huwai and essential phones get updated to project trebel ?

12. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 6, 2017

rarog, Dec 6, 2017 :
    No, it means that if the first, initial version which the phone is delivered with, is Android P, it has to support Treble. Otherwise it's not required by Google.

They either played the risky game of data loss or did reserve additional space for the Treble partition in advance.

13. NovinDavis Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2017

I do understand all phones with Android o out of box should support Project Trebel. But I don't want things to turn out like Oneplus One . I know we did get updates for almost 2 years. But only reason we did not get Android N i feel is Vulken API
    Steve Kondik once said that if the userbase of the OnePlus One was still enough at the time Android N would arrive, But Google Vulken API support changed things.

14. NovinDavis Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2017

A/B partition. Was available since Nougat for phones like Google Pixel Huwai and Essential phones coming up with extra partition just shows how good there development team is in future proofing device. Maybe in long run Trebel won't make a difference but u should know kernel support for trebel is 6 years. Oneplus may ditch OP5 in Dec 2018 saying 2 major updates are done. And there will be phones like essential which might see another major Android is updates.

15. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Dec 6, 2017

rarog, Dec 6, 2017 :
    I think the bigger problem was rather that Cyanogen was basically dead at the time that N came out. Also Vulkan API is a hardware limitation and not a software one like Treble. The processor has to support it.

16. NovinDavis Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2017

Well no phone with 800/801 got Nougat because of Vulken API .. because drives were not released by Qualcomm.

S1510421030070 likes this.
  17. G_plusone KitKat Dec 6, 2017

G_plusone, Dec 6, 2017 :
    And STOP OTA within two weeks of its release.

F_Alauddin_Akash_LNID likes this.
  18. tibcsi0407 Eclair Dec 6, 2017

tibcsi0407, Dec 6, 2017 :
    So, when Huawei released Mate 9 a year ago, they have seen the future and now they were able to create a Treble-ready Oreo. Essential too.
    Looks like they wanted to make a futureproof phone and you don't want to do that. It is simple as that.
    That makes me reconsider that which will be my next phone...
    It's time to share the sad news with the almost 15k people who trusted you. Who believed the bullsh*t that Oneplus listen to the community and OOS built by the community...

You are just settled my friend...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

19. eachtime Donut Dec 6, 2017

eachtime, Dec 6, 2017 :
    I'm trully disapointed at OnePlus, after a great speech about listening to the community, we now see that is all talk and no walk.
    We're stuck with a phone that will lose support in the future because there are no drivers or some other excuse and all this because they don't have Treble support.
    I don't even understand why OnePlus didn't implement A/B updates in the first place out of the box which has the advantages of removing the risk of updates.
    I only now that in the future I'll probably never get a OnePlus again after this mess

20. batwingnz Gingerbread Dec 6, 2017

batwingnz, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Won't brick if you do it right. Typical low effort OnePlus response.