Join our OnePlus 5T AMA now!

1. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

David Y., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Join-our-OnePlus-5T-AMA-now_780.jpg

Hi everyone,

Welcome to our exclusive OnePlus 5T AMA on the OnePlus forums! There's a lot going on these days at OnePlus. We just launch the OnePlus 5T last week. Open sales for the OnePlus 5T begin in North America and OnePlus 5T pop-ups will be held across Europe today. What's more, @Pete and @Louis S. just shared two deep-dive articles about the 18:9 Display and Face Unlock feature in these two days. Do remember to check them out.

Our products are created together with our community. That's why staying in constant communication with you all is important to us. I believe we are the most suitable peeps to answer any questions you have. This is a OnePlus 5T AMA, so (almost) anything goes. What follows will affect the direction of our team's work, so join this discussion to help shape the future!

Joining us today:
    @Carl - Co-founder (Carl will join us at London!)
    @Louis S. - OnePlus 5T Product Manager
    @Gary C.  - OxygenOS Team
    @Adam Krisko - Beta program Project Manager
    @Kale W. - Ecommerce Team
    @tombruno - Customer Service Team

These guys should be able to answer your questions on product, software, sales, after-sales service, and more. You can start submitting your questions now. We’ll start answering in just a few minutes!

Edit 1: Wow that's a lot! We're answering!!!
    Edit 2: Alright guys, wrapping it up for now! Thanks for all of your questions. We'll continue monitoring this thread and popping back in to answer (lucky winners will be selected in 24 hours).
    Edit 3: We just randomly picked 3 lucky winners - @Hardeep12 , @Abhishek Sukumar , @VipulJadhav12 who post their questions during the first two hours, each one will win a OnePlus Travel Messenger Bag. Congrats! And we'll reach out to you very soon!
    Edit 4: This AMA ended at 10 AM EDT on Nov 23.  Thanks to everyone who participated!
    Edit 5: We know many of you are curious about why we didn't support Project Treble on our current devices, so we invited @OmegaHsu to share our rationale [HERE].

2. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    The way we price our products is that we first build the device we envision, look at the costs associated with it, and set a fair price accordingly.

Because we sell direct to consumers, the money we save on channel costs can be reinvested into a better product, but is also what allows us to have fairer prices.

3. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    No, the OnePlus 5 would not benefit from Face Unlock as the front-placed fingerprint sensor offers a great user experience.

4. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    I'll answer the first question to give others a fair chance of being answered.

We'll make a second T device if there's enough new technology that's useful to our users. As of now, we still haven't decided whether we have enough upgrades next year for a T device.

5. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Adam Krisko, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Currently we support level 3.

Maybe sometime in the future. :cool:

Yes the 5T has a notification LED, it's in approximately the same place as the 5.

97pratyush, Shadow0929, aris and 14 others like this.
  6. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    I didn't talk about this at all. Perhaps you misunderstood?

7. tombruno Customer Service Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    tombruno, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hi Luke, Black Apricot StyleSwap is no longer available.

xaser240, Salt505 and Luke-S like this.
  8. Gary C. OxygenOS Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Gary C., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Thanks. That's impressive! I will answer one by one...

OnePlus 5/5T will have the same update cycle like 3/3T.

9. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Not at this moment. There's still a lot to do to become better in our current markets before we enter new ones.

10. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post

11. Kale W. E-commerce Lead Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Kale W., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Thank you for your support. We're putting sales for this region on hold until we're sure our Aussie fans can get the best OnePlus experience. Please keep an eye on our channels for updates on product availability. :)

12. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    We currently do not have plans for this yet.

13. Kale W. E-commerce Lead Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Kale W., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hi, we have different special offers in different regions. For India, have Rs. 1500 Cashback from HDFC Bank for Sales till 2nd Dec., also, 1000GB data from Idea, Free Insurance, Amazon Prime Video and Kindle Credits are available. And along with a new Offer Zomato Gold Membership for 12 months. Enjoy your purchase with OnePlus!

14. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    When we feel it delivers enough user value (probably never)

nilz22, AndreiRadu, deevil and 16 others like this.
  15. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hi, for the answer to this question and more on Face Unlock, please check out this deep-dive by @Pete https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/685962/

16. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Who says OnePlus 5 software updates will be impacted?

17. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Hey I can answer some of these.
    4: No, we have our own version of EAS that we feel is better suited for our devices.
    5: No, we are not currently supporting treble and do not plan to for these devices.
    7: Yes, later.
    8: We will stop when we feel there are no more updates that are relevant for the Open Beta program.
    9: No, Camera software is proprietary. We do not have authorization to distribute this code to anyone.

97pratyush, ModLife, famed69 and 32 others like this.
  18. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Maybe when we're one of the global leaders in the flagship segment. Focus is key.

19. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    We'll announce when it's ready. You will be able to use this on the OnePlus 2.

20. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Despite the fact that we created a larger screen, the pixel density remains the same.

21. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    We do offer trade in, but to be fair the terms are not good. You're better off selling the phone yourself. We're trying to find better trade in partners who can offer better value to customers.

22. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Eventually we will sync the builds like we did with the 3/3T

23. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    We can only make the best product within our abilities. Whether other people call them flagship killers or not isn't something we can control. :)

24. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    In most scenes, using the primary sensor results in photos of a higher quality. The telephoto lens' primary use is only to support Portrait Mode, and to deliver clearer photos when zooming.

25. tombruno Customer Service Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    tombruno, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Thank you for your support. We're putting sales for this region on hold until we're sure our Aussie fans can get the best OnePlus experience. Please keep an eye on our channels for updates on product availability.

pablofg1978 and xaser240 like this.
  26. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Again, answering the first question to give others a chance.

The flip cover works really well with the 5Ts face unlock feature. When you flip it open, the phone unlocked instantly. Everyone I've demoed it to have been surprised!

27. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Including OIS would increase the physical size of our device, which would negatively impact the design and appearance of the phone.

28. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Yes, it will survive day to day situations but not showering or swimming with it.

29. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Due to technical limitations. Display drivers require a certain amount of physical space, which requires it to be integrated within the bezel.

30. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Face Unlock was calibrated for our front-facing camera, ensuring accuracy and reliability. As a result, it is much faster than Android's Trusted Face feature.

31. tombruno Customer Service Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    tombruno, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hi Subhash! We are planning to launch OnePlus 5T via souq.com
    Stay tuned!

32. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Every time we consider releasing a T device, we first determine whether the technology available enables us to deliver a superior product. We believe in sharing the best technology with the world whenever possible.

33. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Not something we're announcing now

34. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Our team will continue to monitor automated DND, and consider its implementation in the future.

Ryster, jferraz, G_Mateo_DxQd and 3 others like this.
  35. Gary C. OxygenOS Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Gary C., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hi tofylion,
    Of course, your 5T will get continuous official updates for 2 years.

36. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    The OnePlus 5T features a new superior secondary camera, with an aperture of f/1.7 allowing for higher quality shots in low-light conditions, among other benefits.

37. tombruno Customer Service Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    tombruno, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hi Again!
    Unfortunately, we don't have the launch time at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

Dhiren Velari and pablofg1978 like this.
  38. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Depends on the blender.

Are you in a cold area?

It uses more battery than if you do not use the feature... For battery impact, it does not use much. You should not see a direct drain.

The 28th

We're investigating AoD, whether or not it's to be implemented, we have not decided.

The device supports Android Pay. As long as you are in an area that uses Google Pay and are not Rooted.

Get a device, I've told you before, you have an invite into the program, but it means you have to use a OnePlus device.

We are teaming up with Qualcomm to provide a good solution. The actual coding explanation is way above my head.

The codename is Dumpling.

39. tombruno Customer Service Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    tombruno, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hello Rizwan!
    Unfortunately, we don't have any plans for No Cost EMI at the moment.

40. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    No, in the past we have experimented with customizable fingerprint gestures. But, these never resulted in an intuitive and pleasant user experience.

41. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    No, cases do not interfere with NFC on the OnePlus 5T.

Dhiren Velari, pablofg1978 and gaster like this.
  42. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Yes, we will continue to offer new updates for the OnePlus 5 camera.

Shadow0929, jferraz, youbi and 7 others like this.
  43. tombruno Customer Service Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    tombruno, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Good idea! ;)

pablofg1978, gaster and kingkw like this.
  44. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    No, we do not support USB video out of any kind. No, it will not be implemented.

45. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    There are currently no plans to increase the 10 lux requirement. We still consider this the best choice for our camera.

46. Gary C. OxygenOS Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Gary C., Nov 21, 2017 :
    6- @Gary C. Could you please fix the Bug Report option for developers? If I try to get a Bug Report on the OnePlus 5, the "Share" notification doesn't do anything.

Thank you for reporting that, we will check it ASAP.

7 -
    @Gary C. On the Shelf, there isn't much sense clicking the + and then selecting the one and only option there (it even goes against Material Design), so please, remove the option and make the + button directly add the option.[/QUOTE]

This is a good suggestion, I will forward it to our product team for further discussion.

47. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    64 and 128 GB devices, that support cloud services, satisfy the needs of the vast majority of our users.

48. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    We're re-evaluating our current implementation. Will it change? Not decided yet.

49. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Never say never

50. Gary C. OxygenOS Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Gary C., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Yes, it is.

Shadow0929, youbi, zwestlie and 2 others like this.
  51. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    We currently don't have plans to use full open source drivers like the prism project.

Dhiren Velari and gaster like this.
  52. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    If Carl is not available, lunch is on me if you are ever in Shenzhen, or we meet at an event.
    I'm sorry, I'm not 100% sure if I understand you. I think you mean if the we will implement the hacking that allows the earpiece to be cranked to 11 and "out put" sound as a faux "stereo speaker". The answer to that is no. And if you do this, and break your speaker we will not cover it, as the earpiece is not meant to play sound that loud.

Mr. BG, youbi, Himalaya Dave and 10 others like this.
  53. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 21, 2017 :
    The SAR values on the OnePlus 5T are the same as the ones on the OnePlus 5.

54. tombruno Customer Service Team Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    tombruno, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hi Carlos, Insurance for North America is not available at the moment.

55. Kale W. E-commerce Lead Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Kale W., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hey, thanks for your support! We will update the trade-in option of 5 in several days, so you can purchase 5T first, then you could trade in your phone for cashback.

56. Kale W. E-commerce Lead Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Kale W., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Thanks for your support! We are always looking to make our products available in new regions, so please keep an eye on our channels for updates on product availability.

57. Kale W. E-commerce Lead Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    Kale W., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hey, thanks for your support! I'd like to reply the first point, we will update the trade-in option of 5 in several days, so you can purchase 5T first, then you could trade in your phone for cashback.

58. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Nov 21, 2017

Stickied Post
    David Y., Nov 21, 2017 :
    Answer hidden in this post:
    The OnePlus 5T - Let's talk about the headphone jack

Answer hidden in this post:
    Let's talk about Wireless Charging

Why not on our own forums? ;)

59. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post

Alvie, SoniaB, youbi and 1 other person like this.
  60. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    Adam Krisko, Nov 22, 2017 :
    We left the fingerprint sensor for a reason. Face Unlock is a great way to unlock your device quickly, but it is not as secure as a fingerprint sensor or pass-code (the best)

I was using a OP5 that I bought so I can play around with roms and root tools. (remember I work with the community devs often) I will always have a rooted device on hand, but it may not be my primary device. As of last week, I switched full time to the OP5T. I am running dogfood builds (internal only builds) for day to day stability testing. I've found more and more I no longer require root, Android if finally maturing enough that OEMs provide the features that I used to be only able to get via root and custom ROMs.

1: I never said that. My words were "We know users are asking a for "stock look" and we hear the users asking for that, but we might not always decide to go that way. Brian even said in the launch, we follow android in our own way. We called it Android Plus. We try our hardest not to break muscle memory, but we will not be "Pure Android" Even Google uses a modified version of android now in the Pixel devices.
    2: No, we received the O version of the patch a day or so before the OBT build went out. We never release code that has not at least gone through our internal testing. Which takes about a week to finish. (it's called aging internally) During this time we test to see if merging any of the code breaks anything else that we have implemented. The patch will roll out later.
    3: The answer is actually very similar to #2. So see above. If the testing doesn't line up to give the patches, they are not rolled into the builds.

2: We are still evaluating different themes and accent colors. We will decide later if we will include them or not.
    3: That solution is good for a flat sided device, it's too big for our sculpted curves[​IMG]
    7: Personally I go home and spend time with my family. But meeting up with friends and relaxing with a few beers is a great second option.[​IMG]

The fingerprint sensor on the 5T is capable of several actions other than unlocking. You can swipe to access notifications and can long press the sensor to access our Quick pay feature if you are in an area that supports the function (China and India only ATM)

We're going to be making changes to it soon to make it more useful for everyone. But, changes can't be made overnight.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017

61. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    David Y., Nov 22, 2017 :
    Wood styleswap covers will be available very soon. Please keep an eye on our forums or social media channels. We will keep you guys updated.

obakesan likes this.
  62. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    David Y., Nov 22, 2017 :
    It's very interesting and impressive.
    As for the Community team, we will see how to do it better next time. ; )

Dhiren Velari, SoniaB, youbi and 4 others like this.
  63. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    David Y., Nov 22, 2017 :
    Hi Chris!

Everything about Australia is amazing. We love Australia. The reason why we didn't officially enter the market is because our internal resource isn't ready yet. We can't guarantee a best user experience for you guys so we had to postponed our plan.

Stay tuned. Hope we can see you in Australia very soon. ^^

P.S. We will continue the after-sales support for those who participated in our Australia Soft Launch program.

Dhiren Velari and SoniaB like this.
  64. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    Anything is possible in the future, but right now, it's not in the plan.

65. Kale W. E-commerce Lead Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    Kale W., Nov 22, 2017 :
    November 28th. Enjoy your purchase with OnePlus!

suhantm and Dhiren Velari like this.
  66. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    Hey otto, I can answer about the beta. At first we will run 3/3T and 5/5T (when those are up and running) concurrently. I answered the second half here.

We aim to make everything as efficient and battery saving as possible.

67. Adam Krisko Beta PM and Dev Relations Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    To my knowledge, no OEM ever released camera blobs source code, and yes, I understand your frustration.

Let me rephrase my answer.

The "blobs" as most people refer to are available to devs already. That being said, to make a custom rom have picture quality as good as a stock rom (the one provided from the OEM) requires much more than just the blob. One often needs access to the proprietary code that is licensed only to the OEM that produced the phone originally. We have no legal way (or right) to give that out to anyone.

68. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 22, 2017 :
    I hope that our team can become stronger and stronger, while we deliver better and better products for our fans.

RonaldM, amsify, Shadow0929 and 3 others like this.
  69. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post
    Carl, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Does our camera do some smart stuff? Yes. Would I call it AI? To be honest, I don't know what AI means yet. I think it will take another five years until we understand the real implications of AI.

For now, and especially when it comes to smartphones, AI remains a buzzword.

70. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Nov 22, 2017

Stickied Post

Dhiren Velari, youbi and meatandy like this.
  71. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 23, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 23, 2017 :
    This was done in order to ensure a pleasant user experience. Using the telephoto lens in Pro mode would not offer a visual advantage or result in higher-quality photos. It is only used for zoom and to create a depth profile when taking portraits pictures.

72. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 23, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 23, 2017 :
    At present, the OnePlus 3 and 3T already support Manual mode, which offers many of the features that are offered in Pro mode. At a later date, we will release Pro Mode on the OnePlus 3 and 3T.

73. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 23, 2017

Stickied Post
    Louis S., Nov 23, 2017 :
    At present, we have no plans to do this.

74. OmegaHsu OxygenOS Team Staff Member Dec 6, 2017

Stickied Post
    OmegaHsu, Dec 6, 2017 :
    Yes, we are happy to share our rationale. Recently, we received requests from users and community members, some of which signed a Change.org petition to support Project Treble on the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T. Project Treble is a really exciting technology, but it is not the right fit for us now. I assure you we’re still updating our devices and will continue to deliver high-quality, stable software updates. That being said, we always welcome feedback, and I want to further shed some light on why we are not implementing Project Treble on these devices.

Project Treble requires a storage partition, by which the Android framework and vendor image are separated. However, because partitions were not required of Android N and previous versions of Android, all of our current devices do not feature a partition. According to our tests, if we were to modify the partition layout via OTA there is a risk that devices will brick during the partitioning. We feel this poses too great a risk for our community of users, which is why we have decided not to implement Project Treble on current OnePlus devices.

While Project Treble can increase the rate of Android OS updates, it mainly accelerates the Android framework updates. We were one of the first manufacturers to release an update to Android O. Our software team is committed to delivering high-quality and stable major OS upgrades, and we will continue to look for ways to improve the quality and rate at which we deliver software updates in the future. That being said, we look forward to the future of Project Treble, and how it will evolve to better support devices ahead.

75. luxuskamel Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2017

luxuskamel, Nov 21, 2017 :
    what about the face unlock feature, will it come to older devices? (or at least OP5?)

76. camohan Lollipop Moderator Nov 21, 2017

camohan, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Thanks @David Y.

My question is : What made the company decide to keep the same pricing for Op5t as Op5, considering the fact that Oneplus 5 is still not obsolete? and 18"9 screen and face unlock is really something exciting over Op5.

77. Abhishek Sukumar Eclair Nov 21, 2017

Abhishek Sukumar, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Congrats Team OnePlus on the successful launch of yet another great device. Also I'm glad about the proceeds of the 5T launch going to F-Droid, Thanks for that!

With that said we all have a lot of questions, here are a few.

1. Should we expect a 'T' model every year from now on?
    2. ‎Will the OnePlus 5/5T share the exact same update cycle like 3/3T did? If yes will Oreo count as one of the 2 major updates for the 5T?
    3. Improvements to panorama stitching and plans to include a manual mode for videos in future?
    4. ‎Energy awareness scheduling(EAS) coming to OnePlus 5/5T?
    5. ‎Will the 3/3T and 5/5T get Treble?
    6. ‎Will features like face unlock, sunlight display etc make it to the 5 (and even possibly 3/3T)?
    7. ‎Will OnePlus 3/3T get Android 8.1?
    8. ‎End of Open Beta for OnePlus 3/3T?
    9. ‎Camera blobs for 3(T) and 5(T) to help improve camera quality in custom ROMs?
    10. Will KRACK WPA2 fix be made available for older devices like the OnePlus X, One? If yes, When? If no, why not?
    11. ‎‎Will you consider a wide-angle lens for the secondary rear-camera in future devices?
    12. ‎Will the next OnePlus have the 3.5mm headphone jack? When can we expect it's removal?
    13. ‎‎Wireless charging and Ingress Protection(Water and dust resistance with IP6X rating) in future devices?

Phew.. that's definitely a lot of questions, but this should help me and hopefully a lot of other people get what they need to know.

Edit: Why is this AMA not on reddit (/r/Android) like it usually is?

Edit 2: "We just randomly picked 3 lucky winners - @@Hardeep12 ,@@Abhishek Sukumar , @@VipulJadhav12 who post their questions during the first two hours, each one will win a OnePlus Travel Messenger Bag. Congrats! And we'll reach out to you very soon!"

Thank you OnePlus and congrats to the other winners!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017

78. VipulJadhav12 Cupcake Nov 21, 2017

VipulJadhav12, Nov 21, 2017 :
    During the launch event of OnePlus 5T, Mr. Pei mentioned some of the mishaps which happened during past's launch events. Considering those what kind of precautions you had to undertake for this event?

79. tarun.konduri Eclair Nov 21, 2017

tarun.konduri, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Why Oneplus 5T is not launched with Oreo update?
    Are you planning to add other cases like light and dark Rosewood cases?

80. KevinT. Froyo Nov 21, 2017

KevinT., Nov 21, 2017 :
    1. With the introduction of Project Treble, can OnePlus 5/5T users expect Android OS upgrades after Android P?
    2. Will the OnePlus 3/3T be receiving Android 8.1 after Google has released it?
    3. Do you have any plans to bring Face Unlock to OnePlus 5?
    4. Are you planning to officially bring OnePlus devices to other markets, specifically SEA region?
    5. Can we expect future mid-year device releases (i.e. 6T for 6, 7T for 7, etc)?
    6. Are there any plans to extend the functionality of secondary camera on OnePlus 5/5T to other camera modes (such as Pro Mode, Timelapse, Slow Motion, Video Recording, etc) for these are not possible on the current version of OnePlus 5?

81. VipulJadhav12 Cupcake Nov 21, 2017

VipulJadhav12, Nov 21, 2017 :
    1. How reliable is the Face Detection System in the OnePlus 5T since it is just implemented at the software level? Moreover, Could we see some security updates in the Face Detection System in near future so that it can be used for payment transactions as well?

2. During the launch event of OnePlus 5T, Mr. Pei mentioned some of the mishaps which happened during past's launch events. Considering those what kind of precautions you had to undertake for this event?

3. With the launch of the OnePlus 5T, I just want to ask one question which is also one of the most common questions that I've encountered is, What is better, OnePlus 5 or the OnePlus 5T?. Because according to me and my brother, OnePlus 5T is what OnePlus 5 should have been at the launch back in June.

4. Inspite of "bezel-less" 6.01-inch Full optic AMOLED screen with the 18:9 aspect ratio and 2160x1080 pixel resolution, why didn't we see any increase in the pixel per inch on the OnePlus 5T?

5. I appreciate the motive which was shared by Mr. Pei via twitter for retaining the wired dash charging for the OnePlus 5T, but then I was expecting a significant improvement in the battery power taking into consideration the increased power consumption due to new 6.01-inch "bezel-less" screen.

6. Could you explain about the parallel-app management in the new OnePlus 5T?

7. Being a "Flagship Killer" smartphone, OnePlus 5T should have been with Water Proof & Dust Proof features. I really don't know why OnePlus compromised on this?

82. Notch_1608 Honeycomb Nov 21, 2017

Notch_1608, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Really wanna see 4, 5, 6, 7 be answered.
    Moreover, will there be unified device development for the 5/5T like the 3/3T?

83. camohan Lollipop Moderator Nov 21, 2017

camohan, Nov 21, 2017 :
    The AMA is specific to Op5t. The only valid questions are #4 and # 5.

84. qmaster312 Cupcake Nov 21, 2017

qmaster312, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Does the Oneplus 5T have Widevine L1 and with that support Netflix in HD? The current Oneplus phones don't have it and I would like to know this before buying.

85. neikees Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2017

86. standard f Eclair Nov 21, 2017

Quinnaay, Hkray and quza like this.
  87. PhiliPdB Donut Nov 21, 2017

tomcaniels likes this.
  88. ushai Eclair Nov 21, 2017

ushai, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Are you guys implementing Project Treble on the Oneplus 5T? If so, will you be able to extend it to the OnePlus 5?
    Will the two devices be maintained as if they were the same like it happened with OP3/3T?
    Will you commit to a support window like Google does?
    Are you really implementing EAS on the OnePlus 5 / 5T like it was rumored a few months back?
    Will you bring Daylight Display to the OnePlus 5 as well?

yaparla15 likes this.
  89. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 21, 2017

dsmonteiro, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Hey gang!

A few questions:

• Are you guys implementing Project Treble on the Oneplus 5T? If so, will you be able to extend it to the OnePlus 5?
    • Will the two devices be maintained as if they were the same like it happened with OP3/3T?
    • Will you commit to a support window like Google does?
    • Are you really implementing EAS on the OnePlus 5 / 5T like it was rumored a few months back?
    • Will you bring Daylight Display to the OnePlus 5 as well?
    • Will the OP3 and OP3T get Android 8.1?
    • Will the new software features present on the OnePlus 5T (like Face Unlock) come to previous models?
    • According to geekyranjit, @@Carl said Face Unlock won't work on previous phones do to hardware limitations. Is this true? If so, which hardware is missing on previous phones? The OP5T and OP5 share the same front camera sensor, Sony's IMX371.
    • Are you going to implement other fingerprint sensor gestures, like swipe up to open the app drawer?

90. kingkw Froyo Nov 21, 2017

kingkw, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Really excited to have ordered my first one+ device today! Are there any features on the 5t that you think people maybe don't know about but is extremely useful? Also how many Android updates will it get this was one of my concerns coming from iOS but you guys seem on top of it!

Thank you!

bonus question if possible are there any new soft goods in the works with how well received your backpacks were?

@Carl

91. camohan Lollipop Moderator Nov 21, 2017

camohan, Nov 21, 2017 :
    I can answer the first part. @Brian Yoon clearly mentioned they do not want to hurry up with Oreo and give a version with bugs.
    To me it is perfect, quality over quantity.

David Y. and Punk_69 like this.
  92. sekoHarry Gingerbread Nov 21, 2017

sekoHarry, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Some small questions and a long big post ...
    Firstly congrats for the success OnePlus team

.Why can't we use telephoto lense in pro mode for the OnePlus 5

.Is face Unlock of the 5t coming to 5 coz we see no hardware changes in both of them and its just a matter of software?

Wants(For OnePlus 5 and 5t) -

. We need a switch or something so we know when we are shooting images in 2x .. its from the telephoto lense and not the wide angle.(Oneplus 5)in auto mode

. A separate column in the camera app for either using wide angle or telephoto lense (Oneplus 5)no matter what the lighting pro mode should let us use the telephoto lense

. 1080p 60fps stabilization (Both)

. At least 720p ...240fps slow motion if not 1080 ..120fps

. Face Unlock for OnePlus 5 even if its a tad bit slower please remove the swipe to unlock (from the smart lock face detection)

. The on-screen navigation buttons need to be transparent in OnePlus 5t while in any app so it looks more pleasant and not so ugly like the present

. GPS hunting issue to be fixed in the OnePlus 5 and we hope it isnt there for the 5t

. The time needed to open the shotononeplus wallpaper is too long even on a high speed data connection

. Fingerprint scanner on OnePlus 5 is Fast..alot Fast but theres a subtle vibration felt when u keep your finger on the sensor and after that vibration the display lights up (Can you just match those.. the vibration and display lighting up ... It will make it feel more faster... Either delay the vibration or increase the display on speed)

. I'm running out of the things that i want and just wanna start praising actually [e]1f602[/e]

.Can we have the old ambient display option rather than the second version (How i used the first one ... Keep the ambient display on with the sensor so whenever i put my phone in the pocket remove it its lit but keeping double tap to wake on also lets me interact with the display at the same moment not there on the OnePlus 5

Appraisal (OnePlus 5)

.Battery life is amazing lasts me 1.5 days with 1 complete charge

.The name "Dash Charger" should be changed to "Lighting Fast Charger". .. i never thought smartphones will charge so fast hntil i had OnePlus 3

.The Amoled Display is just amazing with DCI-P3 calibration .. eyes never get burnin or something

.Camera ...OMG It's amazing!!!! Just cant express myself but I'll be posting all my shots on insta and see how many get selected for shot on OnePlus ;)

.This phone is Fuc**ng Fast!!!!!!

.App install times are ..eye blinking speed fast

. The horizon curve of this phone as u call it.... Is the only sole reason to make it feel so premium

.Animations are so amazing ..Top Notch ahm.. (Iphone X)

.the tactile feel of the keys !!! Wow .. i keep clicking them by turning the phone off ... Its just so soft and feedbackie

. Telephoto camera needs a bit improvement it doesnt feel 20mp just sharpening going on ... But the thought of even having a telephoto lense on a camera is amazing !!!! I wished this thing from past 5-6 years and it happened!!!

Design suggestions-

..1... Headphone jack-. If u keep it for the OnePlus 6... Keep it at the position of the speaker of OnePlus 5 i mean swap those positions ....

Headphone jack on the left and speaker at the right...

Why if u ask here is the answer
    .. While playing games in landscape mode the speaker is muffled and its a ugly feeling ...yeah ugly its like my hands are vibrating... And there will be no problem in keeping the headphone jack there as the aux cord can go through our fingers while gaming

...2... Camera placement -
    It looks beautiful on this phone the OnePlus 5 Currently sexy! <In words but while gaming it feels a very awkwardly placed as it just spoils the gaming experience as
    ‎ Camera > gaming. ... I dont want camera to even have smudges so thats why

..3... Please keep the curved design of OnePlus 5 its the best part of the phone!!!

Hopefully u read some points if not all amazing device overall please bring the face Unlock to OnePlus 5 no matter what! Its just the last thing i would like if u cant give those^

Overall the best phone of 2017... OnePlus 5t and followed by OnePlus 5 amazing job OnePlus team!!

It feels home with u guys coz u guys are so open not like apple Samsung and everyone else just release the phone and fuc* it we dont care ...you guys are truly amazing ... Please do not keep on replying to people for the features they ask like theres some hardware limitation... We all know it isnt and its a great marketing strategy in a way (as i am an MBA in it and ik how it does to ur team) but providing them with it will give u more success than other things..

Cheers OnePlus team keep on the good work
    Cheap phones are getting great and amazing!! A flagship killer(for me) at 540 dollars ... Aha hell yes!

Vishesh_Sharma likes this.
  93. dcmcc24 KitKat Nov 21, 2017

dcmcc24, Nov 21, 2017 :
    Does it have a notification led?

Shadow0929, JoeWheeler and kingkw like this.