?

Is the OP5 the OP2 of 2017?

1. Yes

35.4%
  2. No

64.6%
  1. Dvynshu Cupcake Aug 3, 2017

Dvynshu, Aug 3, 2017 :
    it's been 15 days and I haven't seen jelly effect yet....I even tried to carefully look for it....but couldn't find it....

Lester Ang likes this.
  2. wendavid Eclair Aug 3, 2017

wendavid, Aug 3, 2017 :
    being a happy op5 owner 2 weeks already. Bought the phone mainly for its global network support and fast performance (dual 4g sim slots, 34 bandwidth, SG 835 processor and 6G/8G memory, close to pure android experience). Wasn't expecting $479 starting price tag but it is ok compare to other SG835 equipped phones. Don't care much about the camera. it is good enough for my causal use. I use a Nikon dslr when I really wanted to take a photo. My eyes are not sensitive enough to detect jelly effect on my unit. Guess this is a excellent phone for me.

Yearic likes this.
  3. G_Simon_Hooker_aiWf Honeycomb Aug 4, 2017

G_Simon_Hooker_aiWf, Aug 4, 2017 :
    I think that in December 2017 after months of updates and oxygen version of oreo gets released before many other flagships get Android 8. There will be a lot of very happy oneplus 5 owners ....

4. sharan.salem Gingerbread Aug 4, 2017

sharan.salem, Aug 4, 2017 :
    Can't say OP5 is a flop version, but rather i would say it couldn't meet the 'over hyped' expectations. Again that was only regarding camera performance, when it comes to performance.. this thing is a beast let out of cage. Still there is lot of potential to improve the camera performance if it can be addressed by the OP team and release some camera performance improvement OTA updates. You just have to ring the right bells so that the officials hear it. Hope OP improves the camera performance.

Peace
    [e]270c[/e]️

5. franciscoherrera84 Froyo Aug 4, 2017

franciscoherrera84, Aug 4, 2017 :
    The OP5 was as big a disaster as the OP2 for me, if not bigger. The combination of the absolutely unnecessary inverted screen that led to the unseeable "Jelly scrolling", and less than stellar camera in lowlight and bugs including the 911 debacle ruined the phone. I am no longer using the OP5 after just 2 weeks. I used the OP2 for like 6 months, and at the time never thought I would use a OP phone for less time than that. I was mistaken. Such a let down. And to all of those who say, "Oh I dont see that Jelly scrolling, it must be your unit" understand that ALL OP5's have this issue. I see it on every single OP5 on every single YouTube video out there. I really looked forward to a great One Plus offering in 2017, but I will not be purchasing this or any other OP product until they step it up. Rant over.

6. franciscoherrera84 Froyo Aug 4, 2017

Oh man this is the biggest load of crap explanation I've ever heard. So you think it's justified that a company do something to their display setup that will distort and ruin the experience for many of it's users? Your apologist comments are the reason why companies like OP don't learn from their mistakes and feel justified to make stupid decisions like inverting the screen on their sole flagship release for the year. This was a dumb decision on their part that caused thousands of returns and dissatisfied customers all around the world, enough said.

7. F_Jorden_Grewal_QmtA Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2017

8. lostLambda KitKat Aug 4, 2017

lostLambda, Aug 4, 2017 :

download.jpg

Your Navaho name from here forward shall be "he who sows seeds of discontent".

9. franciscoherrera84 Froyo Aug 4, 2017

This is the best post I have seen on this whole damn forum. In my experience, you will state your opinion based on your experience and you will be called irrational and negative with no justification to your views. Unlike you, I have gotten rid of my OP5 because the Jelly scrolling was just too much to bear. I expect more of my smartphone purchases, especially when I've spent close to 500 USD on the top of the line model. And you are right, the One Plus 3 and 3T were far superior phones, and were a pleasure to use. Overhyped, and overrated IMO.

banditknight likes this.
  10. p51d007 KitKat Aug 4, 2017

p51d007, Aug 4, 2017 :
    The BEST laugh-a-minute quote from OnePlus, was posted a few weeks ago, when someone posted a screen shot of a conversation with an online "tech" person from oneplus, saying that while MOST smartphone (or pretty much any) screen refreshes from top to bottom, the screen on the OnePlus5 refreshes from bottom to top, you just have to get use to it.
    What a bunch of lDIOTS that came up with that one! Almost as good as when the first batch of OnePlus One phones came out, with the infamous "yellow stain", they tried to pawn it off on the idea that they set the screen color temperature to a "warmer" color instead of the "cooler" color.
    At least the OP5 has one thing in its favor. Unlike the 2, it isn't saddled with the ill fated SD810 chip that was good for warming up your hands on a cold day :rolleyes:

11. G_aayush_pandey_vxCA Froyo Aug 4, 2017

12. waldwolf Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2017

waldwolf, Aug 4, 2017 :
    I find the most interesting thing about this whole thread, are the large number of OP5 owners posting comments like:
    "I love my OP5, but..............." , continuing with a comment that OP need to fix 'this' or 'that' problem.

The camera appears to be the #1 negative on this "but" list.

banditknight likes this.
  13. showstopper197 Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2017

showstopper197, Aug 4, 2017 :
    So many comments, just one like on the main thread, it's a clear indication of how good OP5 is... No further clarification is needed.

14. G_EVR Honeycomb Aug 4, 2017

G_EVR, Aug 4, 2017 :
    I don't think the OP5 is going to be the OP2 of 2017.

I do think it's not going to be as successful as the 3/3T because of overhyped marketing and less bang for buck.

The 5 got a sales a boost because it was released during a dead period where the major companies were in between flagship device releases. We'll see what happens when the Notes, next generation iPhones, Pixel 2s of the world are announced.

They were going to run into this problem last year as well but got lucky that the Note 7 got knocked out of circulation and the Pixel launch was hurried and half baked. Their 3T was a saving grace, as well.

IMO, people who are first time owners of a OP device will more likely enjoy their 5 much more than people who have owned a OPO or OP3/3T. New owners can appreciate what the 5 brings to the table, but previous owners will only be able to see how much OnePlus has truly taken away.

15. rajeev5252 Froyo Aug 4, 2017

rajeev5252, Aug 4, 2017 :
    i am using op5 since last week...worked hard to see what jelly effect really is. could not see it.. may be some devices have it. but again manufacturing defect does happen with all brands. personally i dont see any drawback in this device. its a value for money device.

16. Bossman1086 Eclair Aug 4, 2017

Bossman1086, Aug 4, 2017 :
    This is silly. The OP5 is on the list of best smartphones of 2017 of most major Android blogs. It's selling well. And it's not missing major features like the OP2 with its missing NFC.

Sure, the OP5 has a bunch of controversy around it, but it's mostly over blown. And once the Pixel 2 releases without a headphone jack, I think more people will look to the OP5. Also, OP has been super quick with updates so far. They've already improved the camera and battery a bunch and it's only been about a month. Not sure what's making you think this phone is a flop or being abandoned...

gallifreyangirl likes this.
  17. jonathanlyng Gingerbread Aug 4, 2017

jonathanlyng, Aug 4, 2017 :
    yet it is the technical reason the jelly effect exists. if scientific truth is a load of crap or fake news to you, can't help you.

18. banditknight Honeycomb Aug 6, 2017

banditknight, Aug 6, 2017 :
    If it is selling well we do not really know. Judging by its constant availability in stock and past OP performance in restocking their store I would not be that optimistic. Still this of the other way it's purely speculation.

When it comes to updates that what you are saying is not entirely true. Actually there was one meaningful update from day one and that was 4.5.7/8.
    Previous updates were purely hotfixes. Many of them doing more harm than good. I guess OP was forced to release most of them due to serious issues. Even the last one still has tons of problems on my device - 4G connection stability, messed up notifications, app freezing among the most serious ones I experience.
    I purchased my OP5 on the very launch day and received it two days later. I installed every single update from day one and I experienced most of the problems they introduced.

How future looks like we will see. OP does not seem to care much about past devices. OP2 was abandoned really early because of its poor sales that was a result of mistakes in hardware design. That means users who paid money to oneplus were abandoned because of OP mistakes. Was that fair?

But if you look at current fate of OP3/T it is not much different. OP3 has not received any meaningful stable update for a quarter.
    I know, I know, open betas... That's why I said stable. OP3/T received open betas and then hardly any of open beta features make it into a stable release for OP3. To me users seem to act as beta testers for us lucky ones owning OP5.

Is this a good outlook for us OP5 owners in a year from now? I do not thinks so. I would not be surprised if still this fall OP released a new/refreshed device using pretty much similarly hardware design with only some "natural effects" removed.

sharan.salem likes this.
  19. latheef shaik Froyo Aug 6, 2017

latheef shaik, Aug 6, 2017 :
    One plus itself is a flop dude...i am sure OP is expert in leaving their customers with buggy OS....

20. G_KOH_MENG_YIT_acZU Cupcake Aug 6, 2017