half-split photos Workaround - read this!

1. T3STY Honeycomb Jan 26, 2015

T3STY, Jan 26, 2015 :
    As many of you know there is an issue with the One where the non-stock camera apps would create a half-split photo with a lighter half on the left side.
    I don't know if this issue is the same for everyone, for me it only happens when I'm taking photos in landscape mode and I am using the flash light. This is an example:
    _IMG_20150126_181030.jpg
    When I use the flash light but I am in portrait (vertical) mode it works just fine:
    (edit: sorry, you can notice the issue still persists in this photo. I think I have uploaded the wrong photo. The third one is pixel-perfect though)
    IMG_20150126_181113.jpg
    So I thought of this workaround: you set your camera app and your device's screen rotation to be locked in portrait mode so all your photos will never be shot as landscape, thus, not triggering the half split issue:
    IMG_20150126_181245.jpg
    I know it might not be great that you have to use this trick, but it definitely solves the issue for good for a day-to-day use. With your gallery app it takes two steps to rotate the image.

You might be wondering, why does this issue happen? Personally I have no idea. What I suspect though is that in landscape mode the camera sensor shots the single photo in two rapid bursts where the first takes the left side and the second the right side of the photo. It might be unnoticeable when the lighting is constant, but with a flash light the gap between a burst and the other is long enough for it to be noticeable. However this does not explain why portrait and stock camera photos come out just fine, so, it will remain a mistery until OnePlus will unveil it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

jfracaro and JBowes like this.
  2. T3STY Honeycomb Jan 26, 2015

T3STY, Jan 26, 2015 :
    In the second photo I have uploaded, the issue still persists. I thought I shot it in portrait but I think it still got it in landscape mode.. sorry for that. However, you can see the third photo is just pixel-perfect.

jfracaro likes this.
  3. oneminusone Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 26, 2015

4. oneminusone Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 26, 2015

5. DufferDan Gingerbread Jan 26, 2015

6. T3STY Honeycomb Jan 26, 2015

T3STY, Jan 26, 2015 :
    I confirm, FV-5 camera Lite does not have this issue for me as well :)

7. jfracaro Cupcake Feb 24, 2015

jfracaro, Feb 24, 2015 :
    Does anyone have any more insight in regards to this matter? I'm notice the banding only happens when shooting with the flash. It doesn't matter if the camera is in portrait or landscape mode. The banding also happens with both the stock CM12 camera and Google camera.

NV Zahid likes this.
  8. ItsBrock Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 24, 2015

ItsBrock, Feb 24, 2015 :
    I'm getting this too, with flash. Glad I'm not the only one. I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure.

jfracaro likes this.
  9. T3STY Honeycomb Feb 25, 2015

T3STY, Feb 25, 2015 :
    Guys, search the forums, this issue is as old as the One and hasn't been fixed since. Happens on some camera apps, not on others (camera FX works fine, sometimes whatsapp's camera also works fine).

10. jfracaro Cupcake Feb 25, 2015

jfracaro, Feb 25, 2015 :
    I performed another test and the banding is happening within VSCO Cam as well. So, it's more of a hardware or OS issue (I'm running CM12 nightlies.)

I'm trying to work with tech support, but because I bought the phone off of Craigslist...well some of us are familiar with the customer service debachle with that regards. I'll post updates when I receive any insight on the matter.

P.S. - IMO, using another camera app is a 'work around' not a solution to a bug, or hardware issue that can be addressed from the manufacturer or OS design side.

Other Threads with the same issue:
    Bug Report on JIRA:
    Conclusion: It's faulty drivers. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

muffi47 likes this.
  11. Nyan_ Jelly Bean Feb 25, 2015

jfracaro likes this.