[GUIDE] ONYX: How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery, Root, Take EFS Backup & More !!

1. Gabtek Cupcake May 25, 2017

Gabtek, May 25, 2017 :
    Thank you, I will try to leave it alone for a while.

2. Lancelot_69 KitKat May 25, 2017

Lancelot_69, May 25, 2017 :
    If you are still stuck, your only option is to flash the rom like a dirty flash.

3. Gabtek Cupcake May 26, 2017

Gabtek, May 26, 2017 :
    Thank you for your help. Last night I tried several time to flash stock ROM and install SuperSU, each time my OnePlus x stopped booting. I've tried various versions, I've tried all TWRP option (repair file sytstem, fix context..) Nothing worked. I finally restart from scratch following step by step this Tuto and it works. We lost some configuration (like icon setup on screen) and app configuration... retype pw... but it's not that bad, thanks to the cloud.

Thank you again for your time helping !

Lancelot_69 likes this.
  4. Lancelot_69 KitKat May 26, 2017

Lancelot_69, May 26, 2017 :
    No problem, glad it worked out

5. FarewellFire Cupcake Jul 11, 2017

FarewellFire, Jul 11, 2017 :
    I can only echo the above - tried a step-by-step fro another source and it was basically old and outdated. This just works and I'm now running a beautiful and solid Android 7.1 stock version (Lineage 14.1) on my OPX. Works like a charm, many thanks!

6. jcrnac Cupcake Jul 11, 2017

jcrnac, Jul 11, 2017 :
    Sorry for the late answer. I got the email notification today.
    Yes, I locked the bootloader again in Developer options as you described in your question and wiped the whole phone again.
    As I stated before, I have no clue why it did not work in the first try - despite the fact that the unlock status has been confirmed ....
    Have fun ....

7. jasondurelo Cupcake Aug 4, 2017

jasondurelo, Aug 4, 2017 :
    Screenshot_20170804-061617.png cmd.png Hello. I didnt have to go through unlocking bootloader, as the option to unlock bootloader was already there in my developer option(Please see attached image - 061617.png). So how do I go about getting TWRP recovery. AS the following steps dont work
    Let’s confirm whether fastboot is working. With OnePlus X connected to PC, run the following command in command window. You should get a serial no. with fastboot written after it. If not, you need to reinstall the fastboot drivers from above The drivers are already there.

fastboot devices.
    This doesnt do anything

> Flash TWRP recoveryon your OnePlus X by running the following command.

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.
    It just says waiting for device, even though the device is conncected (see attached image - cmd.png)

> Boot TWRP recovery on your OnePlus X now by entering the following:

fastboot boot recovery.img.
    could not reach till here.

And I have done this 2 times even after factory resetting the phone.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

8. lolka23 Cupcake Aug 29, 2017

lolka23, Aug 29, 2017 :
    Hello guys!

First a big thanks for the original post to help us! I did managed to unlock and root my OPX.

Unfortunatelly there is one problem...I lost my data connection. I have wifi and I can make calls but mobile data is just not working at all.
    I have tried some methods...restart, sim out and back and restart, manually pick the provider and restart etc... nothing works.
    Any suggestion for a solution how to get back my mobile internet connection?

Thank you in advance,

Tom