[GUIDE] OnePlus 5: How to Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup and More !!

1. Julianwijers Cupcake Jul 11, 2017

Julianwijers, Jul 11, 2017 :
    @funkwizard i have downloaded a zip for a mod that ebables the front facing speaker to be used for music too, but i don't know how to get the mod working. can you help me?

2. papolytic Gingerbread Jul 11, 2017

3. sarang Bakshi Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2017

sarang Bakshi, Jul 12, 2017 :
    I have rooted my op5 after updating it to latest software, now I wanted to know what happens if op releases further incremental updates Ota.
    How to update my oos then as I can't update Ota.
    Will there be any zip file available for such updates to be flashed in twrp? Does op release such zip files?

4. winwinc81 Cupcake Jul 12, 2017

winwinc81, Jul 12, 2017 :
    Hi Funk Wizard, thanks for the guide...the guide is comprehensive..

i have a china version of OS (bet its hydrogen) and do not have google. i would like to flash oxygen into the china bought phone as google is needed, however i do not want to really so call root it (or rather unroot back in future) so that i have stock oxygen and get OTA updates as and when. which part of the guide i should follow then?

i can flash oxygen into the china bought OP5 aint it?

alternatively can i just do the simplest adb method flash from command prompt to the oxygen full OS is good enough?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

5. MomZo Gingerbread Jul 13, 2017

MomZo, Jul 13, 2017 :
    I am also interested by the last request. I'm about to buy a Chinese Oneplus 5 and I would like to directly switch it to OOS. How can I proceed without unlocking the bootloader?
    Install ADB drivers > download ROM zip from O+ website > save it in the internal storage > reboot in Recovery > flash with sideload command > factory reset > first boot to OOS.

Anything wrong or to change in the process?

Thanks for your help.

6. C0ntroller Gingerbread Jul 14, 2017

C0ntroller, Jul 14, 2017 :
    I read this is because of an old version of fastboot. Got the same problem. Downloaded it fresh (the 15 seconds adb installer from xda) and it worked.

7. sarang Bakshi Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 19, 2017

sarang Bakshi, Jul 19, 2017 :
    I have rooted my op5 after updating it to latest software, now I wanted to know what happens if op releases further incremental updates Ota.
    How to update my oos then as I can't update Ota.
    Will there be any zip file available for such updates to be flashed in twrp? Does op release such zip files?

8. ivivdim Gingerbread Jul 19, 2017

ivivdim, Jul 19, 2017 :
    You have to download and flash "Signed flashable zips" (NOT OTA incremental update zips) - https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/oneplus-5-mirrors-official-oxygen-os-t3628190

pinto123 and sarang Bakshi like this.
  9. sarang Bakshi Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 19, 2017

10. Nittz Donut Jul 21, 2017

Nittz, Jul 21, 2017 :
    I own the 6GB Ram version of the phone and wants to root it so as to use Titanium backup to restore all the contents of my previous phone.
    But the Problem is that we are still going to get some big OTA updates regarding camera and maybe more bug fixes.
    I know the general procedure for rooting the device i.e. first unlock the bootloader then install a custom recovery then root.
    I just wanted to ask if I just install back the stock recovery after rooting the device then will I get the Ota updates?
    And I am sorry if any similar question has already been asked, I searched but didn't find any. Thanks

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  11. ZachDaChampion Cupcake Jul 21, 2017

ZachDaChampion, Jul 21, 2017 :
    You get OTAs just fine even with TWRP installed. However, you update files are the full system, so they are larger than regular ones and it gets rid of TWRP, so you'll have to reflash it after.

otto2 likes this.
  12. F_Ron_Poppe_WtRF Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2017

F_Ron_Poppe_WtRF, Jul 22, 2017 :
    the OTA arrives as normal, however it detects root and downloads the full rom... i recommend booting directly into TWRP not using the updates reboot to install option... once in TWRP install the update from the .ota folder and reflash root file (SuperSU or Magisk)

otto2 likes this.
  13. BooBzi Honeycomb Jul 22, 2017

14. Hllywd Cupcake Jul 22, 2017

Hllywd, Jul 22, 2017 :
    I tried that and it didn't work. Is there some other steps involved? I'll try re-downloading again & give it another try.

15. noquarter French POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 23, 2017

Funk Wizard likes this.
  16. Hllywd Cupcake Jul 24, 2017

17. Funk Wizard KitKat Moderator Jul 24, 2017

noquarter likes this.
  18. Funk Wizard KitKat Moderator Jul 24, 2017

Funk Wizard, Jul 24, 2017 :
    Don't recommend using it as it will damage the ear piece speaker so stay away from it.

All the incremental updates need to be installed as full zip instead of OTA as the device is rooted. I will update the instructions when it's out.

Both of you can follow the below.
    Yes you can flash OOS over H2OS via stock recovery.
    Just download the full rom 4.5.6 zip
    Place it to internal
    Reboot to stick recovery wipe cache
    Select the file to install from internal
    Confirm the flash
    Wipe cache again
    Reboot to OS and you are done

winwinc81 likes this.
  19. winwinc81 Cupcake Jul 26, 2017

winwinc81, Jul 26, 2017 :
    I wish to revert that I have successfully flash from hydrogen to oxygen. thanks

Funk Wizard likes this.
  20. OlMightyG Cupcake Jul 27, 2017

OlMightyG, Jul 27, 2017 :
    Hi,
    is there any way to just get root access without having to unlock the bootloader?