[GUIDE] How to Unroot your OnePlus 3 / 3T and go back completely to stock

1. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 21, 2016

calvinistmac, Jul 21, 2016 :
    Here is version 3.0.4 of this guide!

VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ!!!

These instructions will work with the following versions of OxygenOS:

3.1.2 - 4.5.1 for the OnePlus 3
    3.5.3 - 4.5.1 for the OnePlus 3T
    Open Beta 24 (for the OnePlus 3) or Open Beta 15 (for the OnePlus 3T)

I will not support Open Beta 26 (for the 3) or 17 (for the 3T) for now. OnePlus changed the bootloader and did some under the hood tweaking. My guide, my rules. If you decide to attempt to re-lock the bootloader with Oreo you void support from me. I will not be installing Oreo on my daily device for at least a few betas so I cannot help you until then.

MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT ROM FOR THE CORRECT DEVICE OR YOU'LL END UP WITH A BRICKED DEVICE.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for bricked phones or lost data. Please do the appropriate backups of your data and read all of the instructions posted here before you attempt. If you aren't comfortable doing this then don't do it.

MORE INFO: If you post here asking for help (which is fine by the way), I may or may not be able to help you. I don't have your phone in front of me to help you troubleshoot and I cannot magically fix it over the airwaves. If you follow my steps to the letter you should be fine. Make sure you don't skip anything, and please read the DISCLAIMER again for good measure. I've had a lot of posts asking for help and I can't help everyone unfortunately.

EVEN MORE INFO: I don't look at this thread all day, every day. If you're asking for support from me and don't get it right away that's the reason. I'm sorry for any inconvenience but it's the way it works. I'm a stay at home dad so that takes up most of my day. I do check it when I can though. Again, sorry if any inconvenience has been caused by my lack of appearance and posts here. Fortunately there are plenty of others who peruse this thread that are just as knowledgeable so someone will get to helping you if I don't.

WHY YES EVEN MORE INFO: If you want to downgrade back to MM just use the unrooting process I've outlined here with a MM OOS ROM (version numbers are in the orange text up top).

That being said, here are the instructions (all commands are typed on a computer using a terminal app (Linux or Mac), or Command Prompt in Administrator mode (Windows)):

1. Download the current OxygenOS (Stable or Open Beta) full zip from the OnePlus support site: http://downloads.oneplus.net/ PRO TIP: rename your downloaded file to ota.zip, it'll make typing the commands a bit easier. If you have a OnePlus 3, then download the OnePlus 3 files. If you have a OnePlus 3T, then download OnePlus 3T files.
    2. Download the stock recovery for your device: http://oxygenos.oneplus.net.s3.amazonaws.com/recovery_op3.img - OP3 Recovery
    http://oxygenos.oneplus.net.s3.amazonaws.com/recovery_op3t.img
    - OP3T Recovery
    3. Boot into Fastboot Mode (I believe it's power and volume up, or use the extended boot menu from Android to boot here)
    4. Fire up a terminal app or the Windows Command Prompt in Admin mode and make sure you're in the folder/directory where you downloaded the above files on your computer.
    5. Type: fastboot devices -- Just to make sure everything is working. If you see a serial number you're golden. If not check all of your drivers (mostly Windows users will have this issue). There are threads on how to install the drivers within the forums. If you use Linux or a Mac you should already know how to get the proper files on there.
    6. Type: fastboot flash recovery recovery_op3.img (or recovery_op3t.img if you have a 3T) -- This will flash the stock recovery back to the phone.
    7. Boot into the stock recovery and select the install from ADB option. Once you do that the phone will go into adb sideload mode. After that type the following: adb sideload ota.zip.
    8. Once the zip is done sideloading, reboot the phone until it gets to the main setup screen.
    9. Reboot your phone into fastboot mode (restart the phone, then hold volume up when it's rebooting) then type fastboot oem lock and follow the prompts on the screen. This will erase the phone. The phone will boot into recovery with chinese characters and wipe the phone clean. When it's done it'll reboot.
    10. It should boot into stock, unrooted OxygenOS. Congratulations you did it! Enjoy your stock, unrooted device!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

2. damiandd Honeycomb Jul 21, 2016

damiandd, Jul 21, 2016 :
    Can you make a video on this ....

3. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 21, 2016

calvinistmac, Jul 21, 2016 :
    I wish I had the equipment. Maybe eventually. :)

4. pramanayhoga Donut Jul 22, 2016

pramanayhoga, Jul 22, 2016 :
    To go back to full stick rom, Is this steps works :
    1. Download full Rom.
    2. Flash it in twrp.
    3. Flash stick recovery using fastboot.

This is my first oneplus device, so have no experience at all here.

5. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

calvinistmac, Jul 22, 2016 :
    Either you didn't read post #1 or you didn't understand it. What you just said here will not bring it back to full stock. If you follow what I said above in post #1 everything will work fine. If you do what you said it'll be a hack job. Don't do what you just said. Please follow the instructions in post #1 to bring it back to full stock.

6. ritchiedrama Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

ritchiedrama, Jul 22, 2016 :
    Where are we typing fastboot devices? Are we supposed to be doing that on the phone or in a program?

I installed ResurrectionRemix and would like to go back I think (so I can use dash charge) - so would your instructions above work?

7. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

My above instructions would work. You're typing the commands on your computer. Make sure you follow them in order or you can really mess things up.

8. ritchiedrama Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

Yeah, but where? lol you didn't specify thats why I'm confused brotheer :D

And if I do everything as above in your list, it'll be as if I've just unboxed the phone?

9. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

Not trying to be short but if you read the instructions carefully, I did say to fire up a terminal app (Linux or Mac), or the Command Prompt in Administrator mode (Windows), and yes if you do everything above in my list it'll be as though you just unboxed the phone. Fresh and new. Sorry if the instructions weren't completely clear.

10. ritchiedrama Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

I just didn't know what terminal app is. But if you'd said command prompt, I would, lol.

So basically I'd go into the folder those files you said to download, open a command prompt from that folder with those files in and go from there with instructions.

Do I not need to remove the Custom ROM I've installed first? or anything like that thats the part I'm concerned about.

11. ritchiedrama Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

My phone is stuck on you are in sideload mode, when i type adb sideload ota.zip it says starting on port 5037 started successfully and then device not found :/

12. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Are you on Windows?

13. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

You don't need to remove the custom ROM as this procedure completely wipes the phone clean.

14. ritchiedrama Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

Sorted it, had to keep unplugging phone and re-plugging in, drivers kept failing, weird as how it detected it before, and thenn when it got to thatr part didn't.

Thanks for the help mate. Hopefully this worked now.

G_Niklas_Iivari_PHOh likes this.
  15. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

No problem, glad you got it sorted and glad to help! I'm going to try and get this thread stickied.

16. ritchiedrama Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2016

It all worked out fine. Now I can get back to setting my phone up. Stock feels more professional and polished, as much as I liked the other ROM i did it mainly to seee if it improved battery and tbh, it didn't.

17. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

Yay! Glad it worked out! I was tempted to try Resurrection Remix myself but with the bugginess that people were encountering, I was hesitant. I did try an unofficial Cyanogenmod and that was fine except for signal issues (there is a fix but I didn't do it). I also tried an official AOKP nightly but that darn near hard bricked my phone. I left it rooted on OOS for a bit but things were getting weird so I went back completely stock for now. Maybe I'll go with an official CM13 nightly once it drops in the next day or so to give it a try.

SatriaPerdana and Sun90 like this.
  18. pramanayhoga Donut Jul 22, 2016

pramanayhoga, Jul 22, 2016 :
    Yes i did read your first post completely and fortunately i know all step what you said.
    As i said before, in oneplus device i dont have any experience at all, but in other device and other Rom i usually using steps like i mentioned.
    Emmmm... It seems i was wrong to understand your thread title. Steps that i mentioned are not completely back to stock (because it Will still unlocked bootloader) but only completely unroot.

Sorry for my mistaken.

19. calvinistmac Jelly Bean Jul 22, 2016

No problem, and sorry if I came across short. Have a great day!

pramanayhoga likes this.
  20. dswwong Gingerbread Jul 24, 2016

dswwong, Jul 24, 2016 :
    Can the originator of this thread please elaborate on point 4.
    I don't quite understand what it means.