Feedback for shelf

1. Twinkling82 Eclair Oct 21, 2015

Twinkling82, Oct 21, 2015 :
    I adore Shelf so far, I really like the idea of a grid layout for info and apps you use often. I like that I can add widgets in particular, so I can have what I want in it. My pet peeve is that I can't expand the size of the window, so as an example, I can only see like 2-3 email headlines if I add the gmail widget.

Same goes for many of the other widgets I tried adding briefly.

Since I assume Shelf is in beta from what I understand (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygen-os-cool-new-software-features-on-the-oneplus-2.332369/), this thread could be useful for Oneplus to make Shelf even better, so if any of you other Two owners have any feedback on Shelf, please do so in this thread.

Poz1, PrajwalK, benluca and 6 others like this.
  2. Dr.TicTacToe Gingerbread Oct 21, 2015

Dr.TicTacToe, Oct 21, 2015 :
    Shelf is a thoughtful addition by oneplus:)...some small glitch i saw was with greetings.
    Suppose i used my cell last before 12am and left it alone, in the morning it still says 'good night'. Then if i open the clock app and then re-visit shelf it shows correct greetings.
    And yes @Twinkling82 it would have been better if we could have resize widget window option in shelf...may be in future updates:rolleyes:

islamtaalab and Gaurav Rohilla like this.
  3. bonnygeorgea Honeycomb Oct 21, 2015

bonnygeorgea, Oct 21, 2015 :
    Yeah resize option would be a welcome addition. I love the header image and thing,hope it will get better with time.

4. Twinkling82 Eclair Oct 21, 2015

More feedback;

While I don't think this would be feasible because of the nature of android widgets, I'd love if the look of the widgets would just fit the Shelf design.

Alternatively (list will be updated as we go);

Suggestions for Shelf-contained info:
    • Google Keep
    • latest book active (Kindle and Google)
    • Google Now.
    • Spotify player

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

5. E_Wulff Froyo Oct 21, 2015

E_Wulff, Oct 21, 2015 :
    I like the feature but I've experienced a few flaws. I find it quite difficult to scroll in shelf, often times it clicks the widget instead of scrolling. And I couldn't add my own header image before I downloaded Piktures. It crashed when choosing Photos or a different app such as Tidy.

And I still haven't figured out when and how the weather service updates. At the moment, it hasn't updated for 6 days.

6. Twinkling82 Eclair Oct 21, 2015

About the weather, it goes to the mobile site of Accuweather when clicking on it. I assume downloading the Accuweather app will open up functions such as updates and location (currently, it is tied to a city across the country instead of the city I live in).

I will test.

Test concluded. Accuweather website finds my city, the app does not, which explains why the mini-app in Shelf shows the wrong one - it most likely extracts info via the Accu-weather API.

Perhaps extract info from the website instead to have a more finetuned experience?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

7. jeneiran Donut Oct 21, 2015

jeneiran, Oct 21, 2015 :
    Shelf is amazing! It actually helps clear out the clutter that I usually have on my homepage because now, its all listed there on Shelf.

8. benluca Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2015

benluca, Oct 21, 2015 :
    Same sentiment, almost to the word. Shelf is a fantastic feature, I also hope that future updates will increase the fluidity and flexibility of it.

9. Martino1plus Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 21, 2015

Martino1plus, Oct 21, 2015 :
    Shelf is great, however I would prefer if I could have my own choice of apps rather then frequently used
    :)

10. Twinkling82 Eclair Oct 21, 2015

I've read you can change the apps there, but I just tested it, seems it's not live yet. I'd like to have self chosen apps in it's own "window" to keep frequent.

Martino1plus likes this.
  11. The_Phantom_DJ Gingerbread Oct 21, 2015

The_Phantom_DJ, Oct 21, 2015 :
    Hmm. After I got my OP2, I immediately downloaded a launcher from the Play Store. You've got me curious enough to use the default launcher for a while to see how I like Shelf.

I kinda hate having to organize all my app icons again, though. Is there anything that will automatically sort them into folders for me? (I had been using Everything Me, which did a decent job of organizing my apps)

12. mwayner KitKat Oct 21, 2015

mwayner, Oct 21, 2015 :
    I was pleasantly surprised by it's usefulness. Forgot it's existence until I accidentally swiped and found all my favorite stuff listed there. No need to go poking through folders or screens to find what I use most often.

13. Twinkling82 Eclair Oct 22, 2015

14. Twinkling82 Eclair Oct 24, 2015

Twinkling82, Oct 24, 2015 :
    This seems to be unstable. It's now random which city it shows. Sometime it's right, sometime it shows a city I was in or it shows the city across country.

BUG REPORT
    Changing the image in the header works sometimes when choosing from the Google photos app but atm I get an error when saving the image.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

15. Bajtar Donut Oct 30, 2015

Bajtar, Oct 30, 2015 :
    one question , I'm not able to remove anything from shelf. Tapped something two times and now can't remove. Any idea?

16. The_Phantom_DJ Gingerbread Oct 30, 2015

The_Phantom_DJ, Oct 30, 2015 :
    FYI -- I was using Shelf, but Microsoft's new "Arrow" launcher has been working really well for me this week. You might want to check it out...

17. alterazn Cupcake Dec 3, 2015

alterazn, Dec 3, 2015 :
    Some suggestions are:
    • Make it possible to customize what apps show up on the frequent list
    • Resizing the widgets(for widgets that can be resize)
    • Customizing the panels behind each widget ie. Changing the colors or adding a picture(the gray background doesnt look good with some transparent widgets)

18. d1beats Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2015

19. Twinkling82 Eclair Dec 4, 2015

Twinkling82, Dec 4, 2015 :
    That's a bug in your end, not a missing feature. :)

20. TheHooDooer Cupcake Feb 29, 2016

TheHooDooer, Feb 29, 2016 :
    Yep, yep, yep. All of this sounds fantastic. I can see myself using Keep so much more often.