Discovering Portrait Mode with Kevin Abosch

1. diegohnz Social Media Staff Member Aug 9, 2017

diegohnz, Aug 9, 2017 :
    As smartphone photography becomes more popular, our drive to improve the camera you put in your pocket is more important than ever. Whether it’s a shot of a family member, or a random stranger, portrait photography is one of the most prevalent forms of the art. Being able to take great portraits takes a lot of know-how. With the OnePlus 5, we’ve placed the how in the palm of your hands. With the help of famed portrait photographer Kevin Abosch, we’re ready to deliver the knowledge you need as well. Join Kevin on this exploration of his craft, and pick up a few vital insights to improve your own portraits. Watch the video now for tips on how to frame a subject, take advantage of the lighting environment, and more.

Meet Kevin
    Kevin Abosch is an Irish visual-artist and photographer. Throughout a long career, Kevin has taken portraits of some of the most celebrated faces of our time, many of which have found their way into notable museums across the globe. His subjects includes Johnny Depp, Malala Yousafzai, Yoko Ono, Aung San Suu Kyi, and many others. You might have heard of his photo, titled “Potato #345”, which was sold for 1 million Euros in 2015. It has become one of the most famous photographic sales on record. Kevin, who first connected with the OnePlus team in 2016, has a passion for consumer technology and has tested and provided professional insights about the company’s products. Kevin currently lives and works in New York City.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

woSch, iamnihar, simone_lbs and 40 others like this.
  2. dsmonteiro Lollipop Community Expert Aug 9, 2017

dsmonteiro, Aug 9, 2017 :
    The video is missing.

3. sfomin Marshmallow Aug 9, 2017

sfomin, Aug 9, 2017 :
    [​IMG] you are just too fast [​IMG]

4. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 9, 2017

youbi, Aug 9, 2017 :
    Nice video. :) Its always nice to hear it from the "portrait pros".

And yeah, I must say that from all the things the op5 has, the new portrait mode is what I like most. It can really turn a regular picture into an amazing one. :hearteyes:

5. macemoneta Eclair Aug 9, 2017

macemoneta, Aug 9, 2017 :
    I'm still learning to use the camera app to its full potential. The other day I realized you can press and hold on the portion of the image you're interested in to to lock the focus, then slide up and down on the right to adjust the image brightness. It's a great camera app, with a bunch of sneaky features. :)

Kamal Hans, mleahy, gaster and 5 others like this.
  6. Its_RJT Eclair Aug 9, 2017

Its_RJT, Aug 9, 2017 :
    I am totally agree with the video but I can tell you that in OP5 the potraits mode need to improve on the edges of subject as it done with software processing as it loose sharpness at the edges of subject.

7. Its_RJT Eclair Aug 9, 2017

Its_RJT, Aug 9, 2017 :
    I am totally agree with the video but I can tell you that in OP5 the potraits mode need to improve on the edges of subject as it done with software processing as it loose sharpness at the edges of subject.

See the edges of the subject.

Attached Files:

8. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 9, 2017

youbi, Aug 9, 2017 :
    Probably the biggest issue in that pic is that isn't exactly the best scenario to use that mode, since the person was just too far away.

9. F_Kar_Zan_ODku Cupcake Aug 10, 2017

F_Kar_Zan_ODku, Aug 10, 2017 :
    Dear All Developers and all,

In Mynamar, many people bought OnePlus 5 and are waiting for Myanmar Font. Myanmar Unicode is already in OnePlus 5 but need to be optimized again. The most of Myanmar Unicode are wrong and overlapping. Please, kindly help us something Myanmar Zawgyi don't or Unicode. If there has any suggestions to install Myanmar Font, please help us.
    Thanks

10. varma246 KitKat Aug 10, 2017

varma246, Aug 10, 2017 :
    Any solution for shakyhands people bcoz there's no ois in 5.:rolleyes:

Pic's or didn't happen

BTW mr. @diegohnz should have provided portrait shots of celebraties or other things of those which featured in notable museum.(at least one as proof);)

lostLambda likes this.
  11. G_Navdeep_Malik_Ujwk Gingerbread Aug 10, 2017

G_Navdeep_Malik_Ujwk, Aug 10, 2017 :
    ok so now I can ignore the fact OP5 needs a update to fix it up rather focus on the tips and tricks! ( other than portrait mode OP5 camera is very good. it feels OP5 portrait is half baked with other much needed tweaking)

anandsiddharth likes this.
  12. Carlos D. Froyo Aug 10, 2017

Carlos D., Aug 10, 2017 :
    It's true, I think the phone work best from mid to close up portraits not at full shot.

youbi and script like this.
  13. Manjot09 Cupcake Aug 10, 2017

Manjot09, Aug 10, 2017 :
    Really op5 one of the amazing things is portrait mode but it still needs improvement in terms of focussing and showing during the click what's in focus and sometimes it blurs the person during click but pic turns out clear
    fix this issue camera should show.live what's the pic is goin to be like
    the pro mode is awesome best feature is RAW mode

really amazing work one plus team keep it up [e]1f60a[/e]

14. gabriele magliocchetti Honeycomb Aug 10, 2017

gabriele magliocchetti, Aug 10, 2017 :
    oh, wow, where are tips?
    I was expecting tips on shooting settings while he speaks about light and subject
    for me it is useless
    use money to develop and improve sw, not for marketing

TDarwald likes this.
  15. elanglois KitKat Aug 10, 2017

elanglois, Aug 10, 2017 :
    Oooh ... OP5 can do portraits! Can you do portraits with the FRONT camera? Oops! No selfie portraits? Well, my OP3T (with OIS) can do portraits. I can even do selfie portraits !
    1502350777678.jpg
    And that's a night shot, WalMart parking lot. How's the edges?

Incidently, I can change the focus point and amount of focus after taking the picture (before saving). Can OP5 modify the effect?

16. F_Shamik_Patel_eLQW Honeycomb Aug 10, 2017

17. Dunnow KitKat Aug 10, 2017

Dunnow, Aug 10, 2017 :
    shut up, you have a shinny head. :p

[​IMG]

CeeTeePee likes this.
  18. ArijitDas7 Eclair Aug 10, 2017

ArijitDas7, Aug 10, 2017 :
    They should improve the postprocessing of the image..blurry edges look bad. Sometimes the blur is just too much. Also need to look into 1080p video stabilisation and quality

19. Kamal Hans Gingerbread Aug 10, 2017

Kamal Hans, Aug 10, 2017 :
    That's a great shot!

20. elanglois KitKat Aug 10, 2017

elanglois, Aug 10, 2017 :
    Thanks. Someone asked me for a recent picture as I was walking in the door, and took the shot. No setting it up, so special lighting, just decided to try the "Lens Blur" mode on Google Camera. I had tried it on objects to test and figured... let's give it a go!

Its pretty consistent about giving good "Portrait" shots

Datoneplus and Kamal Hans like this.