Dear OnePlus

1. Dunnow KitKat Mar 20, 2017

Dunnow, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Am I the only one here that thinks they could've just said "ok, you don't have access to a computer, I'm starting an RMA procedure, confirm your personal data so we can send someone to pick up the device" ?

I mean... for not having stores everywhere in the world, is the least they could do for the guy, considering that the device is under warranty and I see no REAL reason to format it before accepting it as an RMA.

@Adam Krisko

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017

wenna, pa5t1s and srb034 like this.
  2. Dunnow KitKat Mar 20, 2017

Dunnow, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Maybe not from china, but certainly someone will. They expect us to install a remote desktop program so THEY can start downloading stuff on your computer and doing things with our device.

BTW, such program has reported to be able to inject viruses AND it also give FTP control, which means, they could, potentially, be pulling files from your computer, without you even seeing the mouse moving around and opening stuff.

Not that it's GONNA happen, but... There's no proof either that it's not gonna happen. In fact, the simple idea that they can open my downloads folder and see whatever I might or might not have in there, triggers an alarm to me. Even if it's only to go and move the downloaded file to the desktop (which BTW, triggers an alarm too).

Actually, anyone but me in my computer triggers an alarm. The thing here is, they FORCE you to do that procediment, instead of offering it to you. As you can see, they don't keep any kind of communication past "go get a computer then".

That is in no way acceptable. One should not be forced to have access to a computer to properly proceed with repairs and assistance.

But that's just my opinion...

pa5t1s and srb034 like this.
  3. Austin-FV Froyo Mar 20, 2017

Austin-FV, Mar 20, 2017 :
    first of all, after reading your paragraph i felt bad for you. But OnePlus is just trying to help you with your problem because there is no other way to fix it. then later you say that they don't want to keep there warranty. The thing is you never said you wanted a refund or a warranty you just said you had a problem with your phone.

further more I agree that it's a lil sketchy that they would take control of a PC to fix the problem. but if you really wanted your money back i think you should have asked first.

4. cmitchellshaw Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2017

cmitchellshaw, Mar 20, 2017 :
    that escalated quickly...

let's see if I can help. can you boot into recovery?

5. tonimarijanovic Cupcake Mar 20, 2017

tonimarijanovic, Mar 20, 2017 :
    the moment I saw your username I knew what was happening and your "mental status".
    kosovo je srce _____? :)

srb034 likes this.
  6. cmitchellshaw Jelly Bean Mar 21, 2017

cmitchellshaw, Mar 21, 2017 :
    actually, I was running CyanogenMod on my OP3 and a bad update wiped out my recovery. The phone would not boot. Not into recovery. Not into the bootloader. Nothing.

I did a remote session and was back up and running in less than an hour.

Just so you'll know...

[edit]
    But, just to put in the for-what-it's-worth column, I used a spare hard drive to install a fresh Windows session (I'm a Linux user) and only used it for that session before formatting it afterward. I don't trust having strangers in my laptop...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

Dunnow and whodatboi like this.
  7. G_John_Huyghue_nrEA Eclair Mar 21, 2017

8. Ieiijnkdmsk Froyo Mar 21, 2017

Ieiijnkdmsk, Mar 21, 2017 :
    Cmon dude!!! Oneplus is not gonna HACK your friends PC. They are asking so that they can flash your phone. They have started this remote assistance so that there's no need to walk all the way to Service Centre for any software issues.
    Other alternative is go to the Service Centre.

otto2 likes this.
  9. ymcamazda Eclair Mar 21, 2017

ymcamazda, Mar 21, 2017 :
    I wonder if Google and Apple do this????
    Of course they do!! And not only them, if you are connected to the Internet or GSM signal or sometimes even without it. Manufacturers, mobile networks or spy agencies, all of them can have access!
    BTW how you want someone to help you when you will not aloud them to look into the problem or touching your phone?

otto2 likes this.
  10. whodatboi KitKat Mar 21, 2017

whodatboi, Mar 21, 2017 :
    I do not know where you live, but try a local library. I'm sure they have computers. also, apple has stores all over the place. they would have you pay for the repairs because it's out of warranty. same goes for Google except they don't have stores. OnePlus is just trying to give you a free option. I'm sure if you want to pay for the repairs and shipping etc like you would for Google they'd be happy to help you. just straight up tell them that. no matter what the company is, if the warranty is up; they ain't helping for free.

11. pa5t1s Lollipop Mar 21, 2017

pa5t1s, Mar 21, 2017 :
    @Dunnow
    I don't like 'intrusive' software neither, and you're totally right about the potential risks. BTW, I was not aware it's one of the procedure... My solution was to RMA, anyway :)

Dunnow likes this.
  12. Dunnow KitKat Mar 21, 2017

Dunnow, Mar 21, 2017 :
    Yeh, sadly, it is.
    Whenever I open a ticket, first thing I say is that im not installing any remote desktop app. They can give me whatever file they want to install on my phone and the steps to fix it. Problem is that they also have sw that comes from qualcomm and has a 32char or so password that they dont want you to have, and that is why they insist on it. Past that is, send the device, and pay for the tra sport. If its under warranty, maybe, its free. Depending on how they decide to act. Ive seen users report oneplus claimed water damage and even refused to return the phone unless you also paid that shipping back... A user in here reported one month og going back and forth just to get his device back. They wanted more to return the phone than what OnePlus charged for the original shippment... Lol

Anyway, im not staying without a phone for a month, some of us depend, till some degree, on it for our job and personal life, if I ever rma, better oneplus send a phone to me and Ill send mine after... But thats not gonna happen anyway...

srb034 and pa5t1s like this.
  13. Robert_Trance_Varga Gingerbread Mar 21, 2017

otto2 and Horsault like this.
  14. Damian_Larkin Honeycomb Mar 21, 2017

Damian_Larkin, Mar 21, 2017 :
    So, you know that Microsoft do this too. Remote session to control someone's PC to try and fix a problem. How is this any different, besides the company being slightly less well-known. And also may I ask, who in this day and age doesn't have some sort of PC?

15. Horsault Lollipop Moderator Mar 21, 2017

Horsault, Mar 21, 2017 :
    Maybe he doesn't understand when they say "PC" they can act on a Mac as well. [​IMG]

otto2 and pa5t1s like this.
  16. Dunnow KitKat Mar 21, 2017

Dunnow, Mar 21, 2017 :
    Microsoft is not a shady company that users third party softwares and contractors to do such job.

And they are not chinese. That is the key word here.

17. ilovesoneplus Jelly Bean Mar 21, 2017

ilovesoneplus, Mar 21, 2017 :
    I have a tablet,no need 4a PC

18. Dunnow KitKat Mar 21, 2017

Dunnow, Mar 21, 2017 :
    if Apple is right, the PC usage will be only dedicated to companies and very particular users by 2020 or so so... xD

19. ilovesoneplus Jelly Bean Mar 21, 2017

ilovesoneplus, Mar 21, 2017 :
    Like I said it's mainly what I've read on here,glad u got yours sorted :)

20. Damian_Larkin Honeycomb Mar 21, 2017

Damian_Larkin, Mar 21, 2017 :
    Well I mean that includes Laptops and the Microsoft Surfaces tablets since they run full windows