Dear Oneplus: The alert slider sucks and the solution is very simple

1. m4r1k Froyo Jul 27, 2016

m4r1k, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Sorry i don't agree. I've found it very nice and I change the slider everytime that I need it without opening a dedicated menu. It is exactly like on iPhone and I love it!
    So if a software solution will arrive I hope for an hardware overwrite

2. G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr Froyo Jul 27, 2016

G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Uhhh no it isn't exactly like on iPhone. The two positions on the iPhone switch are Software Controlled and Silent. I'm here saying that our slider should be MORE like the iPhone's, with the added bonus of having a third position.

Also, implementing it the way I requested wouldn't change anything for you at all. You would still use the slider exactly as you do right now.

The only difference would be that I would have the option of automating the modes when the switch is in the All position.

LammyPictures likes this.
  3. Professorchaos1 Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

Professorchaos1, Jul 27, 2016 :
    This. Everything else is just banter.

4. JasonMR Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2016

JasonMR, Jul 27, 2016 :
    I'm happy as it is, but thanks anyway.

srlawren likes this.
  5. F_Marco_Bortone_MbnR Gingerbread Jul 27, 2016

F_Marco_Bortone_MbnR, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Considering that now slider is correctly overrided by and, op can easily add stock Android dnd automation OR you can use some app that does the same

6. Khara8339 Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

Khara8339, Jul 27, 2016 :
    U realize it probly takes less than half a second to switch modes. Are you really that busy, that 1 second inconveniences you lol. It. Must suck to live a life like that

Using the slider 6 times a day (or even 50 times a day if needed) is super convenient. You don't even need to unlock your phone. You just reach in your pocket and switch modes in literally 1 second.

7. yery Donut Jul 27, 2016

yery, Jul 27, 2016 :
    The problem is not about time, is about not having to worry about whether your phone is silent or not. Indeed, I need 1 sec to change the alert sider, but I have to remind to change it. Many times a day. A similar situation could be when you park your car, you leave it and then after 5 min you wonder: "Did i close it?". With a tasker (integrated in the OS) you don't even have to think 6 times a day to change your volume modek, it's automatic. Always given that you have a regular schedule.

8. G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr Froyo Jul 27, 2016

G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr, Jul 27, 2016 :
    You know what else doesn't require unlocking my phone? Having it do all of this automatically like my other phones have been doing for the past two years.

The problem is not the time it takes to move the slider, it's remembering to do it all 6 times every day. Otherwise I get notifications at work or in the middle of the night. Or I forget to turn it back on and miss important notifications.

9. LammyPictures Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

LammyPictures, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Yup. It's bloody useful having the phone automatically shut up after a certain hour of the night.

10. amartens181 KitKat Jul 27, 2016

amartens181, Jul 27, 2016 :
    You realize you could be supportive of logical features that would not impede your life at all :)

G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr likes this.
  11. Khara8339 Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

Khara8339, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Sucks. Don't forget then lol

12. G_A_Scott_XJzs Froyo Jul 28, 2016

G_A_Scott_XJzs, Jul 28, 2016 :
    I imagine a lot of OP3 owners are waiting for Dash to hit CM.

13. Professorchaos1 Honeycomb Jul 28, 2016

G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr likes this.
  14. remedy Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2016

remedy, Jul 28, 2016 :
    When it breaks it will be time to move to CM.

15. Wild Penguin Cupcake Mar 20, 2017

Wild Penguin, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Hi,

Sorry for bumping but this is still an issue (with the newest OTA released 3/2017) - also this seems to be the most informative thread about this issue, although there are dozens more I can find.

In any case I think this is a major issue and the "Alert Slider" desperately needs customizability options.

But for my (personal) use case, the lack of automatic return from mute is a major PITA. Otherwise I really like the OP3T but this is the one thing that keeps bugging me. Had I known this beforehand, I would have not bought the device (sadly none of the reviews I red beforehand about OP3T mentioned nothing about the Alert Slider). As it is now, it breaks basic funtionality of the device.

The Alert Slider is nice for what it is, and it certainly has it's uses and works for some use cases, but for someone who forgets to turn on alerts (and frequently needs to turn them off) this really sucks.

One solution I have found (but not tested yet): install both "Ringer Modes" and "Shush!" from Play store. But the bottom line: for basic functionality, third party apps or a custom ROM (as suggested by some) should not be needed.

(EDIT: Just realized this is the OP3 part of the forum... well the same applies both to OP3 and OP3T).

jtodd98 and Millig like this.
  16. jtodd98 Eclair Mar 20, 2017

jtodd98, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Read this please OP. This will help so many users that had it working the way it needed to be before you changed it.

17. JuanDego Cupcake Mar 20, 2017

18. PTuT Honeycomb Mar 20, 2017

PTuT, Mar 20, 2017 :
    I think the best solution is to make it fully customizable for each position so everyone can make as he/she wants. I personally would like to see normal - - - vibrate - - - total silence.

19. Dray451 Eclair Mar 20, 2017

Dray451, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Use trigger if that's all you want. Runs at time I've setup to go silent and then again turns on sound in the am. Don't even need to touch alert slider.

20. robbiegast Honeycomb Mar 20, 2017