Dear Oneplus: The alert slider sucks and the solution is very simple

1. G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr Froyo Jul 27, 2016

G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr, Jul 27, 2016 :
    The three slider positions should be: Software Controlled, Alarms Only, Total Silence

The slider should be used when you quickly need to make sure that your phone is silent when you're going into a meeting, movie theatre, etc. It should not be what we use 6+ times a day to change notification modes.

My OnePlus One used to handle all of this automatically for me. Now with my OnePlus 3 I have to change it to Silent before work, change it to All after work, change it to Priority before bed, change it to All when I wake up, change it to Silent before work, repeat. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

It is the only thing that is a huge step back from my previous phones.

2. Morttem Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2016

3. jerrymilton Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2016

jerrymilton, Jul 27, 2016 :
    then DON'T USE IT. if you love the OPO software so much, spend 5 minutes and load CM like I did.

remedy, jaimal_tandel and techygeek like this.
  4. techygeek Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2016

techygeek, Jul 27, 2016 :
    if it could be disabled then that would help a lot of people but for me that isn't a problem

5. LammyPictures Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

LammyPictures, Jul 27, 2016 :
    I agree. I really fear I may wear out the Alert slider and break it.

Total Silence"/"Mute" function: Suggestion for developers: Settings/Alert Slider/Silent Settings/ add a toggle for Mute mode which gives us the option to "Disable all haptic feedback for fingerprint reader, keyboard, capacitive buttons" because frankly the vibrator motor in mine is too loud and I don't want to turn off my phone.

I also suggest bringing back the software functionality that other Marshmallow devices have [this article explains well http://phandroid.com/2016/07/08/oneplus-3-alert-slider-is-the-worst/ ]

As to other people's suggestions about using Custom Roms... it's not a realistic solution as I prefer the security and being able to use Android Pay as well as not have to faff around with tinkering other software.

6. techygeek Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2016

7. G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr Froyo Jul 27, 2016

If they don't fix this then that's exactly what I'll do, as soon as CM gets Dash charging.

techygeek likes this.
  8. nnavarre Froyo Jul 27, 2016

nnavarre, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Oh my gosh, you poor thing. I'm here for you. ::hugs::

9. JasonMR KitKat Jul 27, 2016

JasonMR, Jul 27, 2016 :
    I never use it myself, if I want my phone completely silent I just turn it off, however in all the years that I've owned phones I've always wanted one of three states:
    1. On with volume
    2. On with vibrate only
    3. Off
    So I manage it by turning the volume down or the phone off.

I do completely agree however, that if the slider is going to be there then the functionality of it could be vastly improved.

10. Lancelot_69 KitKat Jul 27, 2016

idbirch likes this.
  11. SimonFullerImagery Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2016

G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr likes this.
  12. idbirch Froyo Jul 27, 2016

idbirch, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Thanks for this. My OP3 doesn't arrive until Monday and I'm migrating from years on jailbroken iOS. Tasker looks to be the Android equivalent of Activator for iPhone which is incredibly useful.

Lancelot_69 likes this.
  13. klausi Froyo Jul 27, 2016

klausi, Jul 27, 2016 :
    I do not agree. The three positions should be
    Espresso, Swiss knife, fluorescent highlighter.

That is the one and only useful thing and if OnePlus is not changing the settings as I demand, I'm going to build a flagship killer on my one.
    Basta.

es.salby, techygeek and Helbro like this.
  14. LammyPictures Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

Ah but you see there are advantages to having a slider for On with no Vibration.

For example: We may want to have haptic feedback for key strokes and finger print readers and phone calls and games normally. Afterall, it's how the phone is usually intended. But let's say I'm writing notes in a meeting, or on a quiet section of a train, or in Church, or trying to be sneaky or something... then I want want to quickly disable this.

In every other Android or Apple phone we can swipe the top drawer and toggle Mute or DnD. Except, we can't on the OnePlus 3.

We got to tap Settings> Language & input > Keyboard > Preferences > And untoggle Vibrate on keypress (or reduce vibration strength on keypress to maybe 10ms). And that's only just for the Keyboard! One has to do this individually on all Gaming Apps, and we can't untoggle it for the Fingerprint reader or mis-stroking the security unlock. It's a very roundabout way of doing things and a feature I never thought I'd miss until it was gone.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016

15. JasonMR KitKat Jul 27, 2016

JasonMR, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Yes I agree, hence why I said this:

LammyPictures likes this.
  16. LammyPictures Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

Aye I getcha. I was just hamming in my point to OnePlus. It's great we got a 3 tier alert slider... but it's bizarre that it aint as functional as the Apple's 2 tier alert slider. Still, early days and the phone is fixable via software :D

17. G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr Froyo Jul 27, 2016

You realize of course that my suggestion would have absolutely no effect on people that are happy with the Slider's current implementation right? Probably too busy trying to be a smartass to actually comprehend anything.

18. F_Marco_Bortone_MbnR Gingerbread Jul 27, 2016

F_Marco_Bortone_MbnR, Jul 27, 2016 :
    Actually, I'm pretty happy with the slider as it is since 3.2.2. But that's just me. It is not bugged, it seems to work correctly and probably it could not be different: let me explain.

Ok setting priority only on the physical slider let all connected apps and devices go to priority. So, for example, what should happen when the slider is set on PRIORITY and on my android wear I tap to exit priority? The slider can't be physically moved and android wear can't refuse to execute user action (remember? OP can't update Android Wear OS or apps that mess with DND options). SO? It just goes in "all notifications", wear and phone, as it is intended by Google itself.

This is a natural and simple solution to me in the Android ecosystem it is right now.

What is happening in this forum is, mostly, blame OP for Google and Android faults. OOS is an Android Stock based rom and it should follow android directives for the most part (enhancing what is possible) and for now, excluding 2-3 tedious bugs, I think it is going the right direction.

My 2 cents

19. G_Dexter_Morelli_Wnbr Froyo Jul 27, 2016

I'm not saying that it's bugged, it is working as OnePlus intended. My problem is with what OnePlus intended.

Removing the automation of DND modes is a huge step backward from other ROMs.

20. srlawren Honeycomb Jul 27, 2016

srlawren, Jul 27, 2016 :
    @JasonMR, can I recommed you have a look at this thread? https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/alert-slider-ring-vibrate-silent.455587/. This APK allows you to do just that with very little effort. Top positions is silent (for your Off), middle is vibrate-only instead of priority (your On with vibrate only), and bottom position is All (on with volume). Very handy, I've bee using it for a while now without issue.