Credit Card Fraud

?

Have you had fraudulent charges after a recent OnePlus transaction?

1. Yes, purchased 0-2 months ago

313 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Yes, purchased 2-4 months ago

17 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Yes, purchased over 4 months ago

13 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. No, purchased 0-2 months ago

76 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. No, purchased 2-4 months ago

13 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. No, purchased over 4 months ago

94 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. I Purchased with Paypal

170 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. superdutynick Froyo Jan 11, 2018

superdutynick, Jan 11, 2018 :
    Edit by moderator SoniaB: If you have faced this issue, then please post in the thread and not just use the voting option.

Further update: A response from OnePlus can be found here: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/an-update-on-credit-card-security.752415/
    Please note that issue is still being investigated and that thread will be updated by admins.
    ---------

I purchased two phones with two different credit cards, first on 11-26-17 and second on 11-28-17. Yesterday I was notified on one of the credit cards of suspected fraudulent activity, I logged onto credit card site and verified that there were several transactions that I did not make. I went through the process and switched accounts... no big deal. Today same thing with the other credit card. I do not use either of those credit cards frequently. The only place that both of those credit cards had been used in the last 6 months was on the Oneplus website. I am not too worried about it, I have fraud protection on all of my cards.

I am not accusing OnePlus, and I do love my phone... just the only similarity I could find between the 2 cards. I just want to make everyone aware so that they can check there statements for any unauthorized transactions, incase OnePlus was breached.

Has anyone else experienced fraudulent charges after a recent purchase?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2018 at 2:28 PM

2. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Jan 11, 2018

Stickied Post

97pratyush, eye842, meatandy and 15 others like this.
  3. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Jan 15, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Stickied Post

eye842, Hydra Bob, SoniaB and 3 others like this.
  4. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jan 16, 2018 at 1:22 PM

Stickied Post
    SoniaB, Jan 16, 2018 at 1:22 PM :
    An update in the official announcement thread:

5. adrianlamkh Cupcake Jan 11, 2018

adrianlamkh, Jan 11, 2018 :
    ehh purchased a 5t back in mid December. got a notification today from my bank today due to 2 suspicious transactions. this may be true!!

6. Jeet77 Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2018

Jeet77, Jan 11, 2018 :
    You should be contacting One Plus support regarding this issue, which seems pretty serious. People often dont have fraud protection, and data theft is an emergency situation.

7. Jeet77 Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2018

8. superdutynick Froyo Jan 11, 2018

Please use voting buttons so it will be easier to track. Thanks.

sckgs and M1514643423807 like this.
  9. puccellino KitKat Jan 11, 2018

10. Hydra Bob Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2018

Hydra Bob, Jan 11, 2018 :
    What's with the OnePlus witch hunt on the forum these days?

If the information you provided is all that you used in coming to your conclusion then I would say your reasoning is flawed. Sure it's not unheard of for the sites for these large companies to be the target of these kind of attacks but I would say it's much more likely you made a security error on your end, especially considering the low number of votes in favor of your hypothesis. I would need much more information about your security practices and why you think the only logical possibility is the OnePlus site before I would lend any credence to your claims.

11. adrianlamkh Cupcake Jan 11, 2018

adrianlamkh, Jan 11, 2018 :
    mate nobody is making this a witch hunt. this is all a bit of a stretch but e.g. if the suspicious transactions of diff. cases are from similar vendors/locations it's something worth for OnePlus to look into no?

wasn't thinking about my incident at all when I opened the community app for the first time but then I stumble upon this thread and the timing and circumstances fit my own case.

I'm new here so if this is the wrong platform to do bring up these concerns then maybe someone could redirect me

12. Hydra Bob Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2018

Hydra Bob, Jan 11, 2018 :
    I suppose you're right that the OP's intention probably wasn't to incite fear but since you're new here you probably don't know about the rash of threads blaming OnePlus for things they are very tentatively connected to at best. I was merely attempting to inform the OP that if he was not aware there are many more possibilities to the source of his problem and that he should have eliminated them before creating this thread that could cause other people to jump to false conclusions. And that if he already did so it would be valuable information for the diagnosis of his problem and aid other users in properly drawing the correct conclusions if they are facing similar issues.

13. superdutynick Froyo Jan 11, 2018

If you look at my other post I have defended the OnePlus 5t many times. I did not create this thread to cause fear in purchasers or harm to OnePlus. I am reaching out to see if others have been affected.

I am smart enough to look at all the evidence before I bring something like this up. I am an avid credit card user. All my banking is online. I do virtually all of my banking online. Most of my purchases are online. I am well versed in IT security practices, and I practice them.

I will not provide you with much more information, as I would need to disclose statements to show... bad idea!

Sure there are several possibilities as to what has caused the breach, but after examination this looks very probable.

I am not blaming OnePlus, it could be the processing gent that they are using.

I am not trying to convince you. I created a poll to see how many others might be affected, and to make others aware to look at their statements in closer detail. Most people do not check their credit card activity on a daily basis.

Again, I couldn't give 2 shits as I am not liable for fraudulent transactions.

14. rayerdi_89 Cupcake Jan 11, 2018

rayerdi_89, Jan 11, 2018 :
    The same here, my brother and I, both purchased our phones in late december 2017. Today, early morning, both of us got fraudulent credit card charges in EUR and USD. Lucky enough, they were rejected by our local banks.

We are positive the only purchases we have in common with those 2 cards are the ones made at oneplus.net.

I'm very happy with the phone, just wanted to give you all guys a heads up, perhaps it would be better to use Paypal until OnePlus can verify where the attack is coming from, since, in my personal experience, chances are their website has been compromised.

Regards!

15. inflamez Cupcake Jan 11, 2018

inflamez, Jan 11, 2018 :
    Same thing happened to me. Placed two orders with OnePlus on the 9th and 10th January 2018. I've used two different business credit cards, that I have not used for any other transaction in over a year.

This morning (11th January 2018) I received a call from my bank, asking me about a fraudulent charge of 50 £ on one of the cards. It will be interesting to see if the second card will also be charged with possible fraud attempts.

Once I receive more information from my bank, I will share it here. I'd also like to emphasize, that I am very satisfied with my OnePlus phones and am a strong advocate of your product. Should there be a security issue, every report helps the team at OnePlus to find the culprit.

Harput, rayerdi_89 and Konky like this.
  16. Veran Eclair Jan 11, 2018

Veran, Jan 11, 2018 :
    Hi

I literally purchased the Sandstone Oneplus 5t on Tuesday on a credit card that I NEVER take out of the house (ie: I use it for my monthly Netflix subs and nothing else normally). I decided to use if for my purchase as credit was available.

I have just had a call from the credit card fraud team to advise someone has attempted to use my card at Currys (Dixons Group Electrical) in London for £900.

That is ONE HELL of a coincidence, especially as the only time I have used the card with a retailer in the last year was with Oneplus a few days back.

This is no Witchhunt. But I am highly suspicious.,,

o_O

17. Gamecool10 Eclair Jan 12, 2018

Gamecool10, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Ooooh.... This does not look good, gentlemen. Thanks for making this thread OP, I'm going to check in with the bank and keep an eye on my statements.

Veran likes this.
  18. brettrog82 Cupcake Jan 12, 2018

brettrog82, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Today I recieved a call from my credit card and said I had over $3000 in purchases in the last 2 days. Oneplus was the only place I used my credit card other than Amazon. it makes sense and am pleased that someone posted. thank you.

19. superdutynick Froyo Jan 12, 2018

superdutynick, Jan 12, 2018 :
    You are welcome. This is the reason I posted. If there is in fact some sort of breach; OnePlus needs to be aware, as well as all the customers. If I would not have experienced the breach on 2 separate cards with the only commonality being OnePlus, I would not have come to this assumption.

OnePlus customer support reached out to me for more information, and they are investigating. Kudos to OnePlus for taking action to investigate! I will reply back to this thread with any new information.

Bigalstyle, kaihp, BillyOS and 2 others like this.
  20. RalP Cupcake Jan 12, 2018

RalP, Jan 12, 2018 :
    Same thing here, 5 days after purchasing my 5T I got a call from bank's fraud team saying someone attempted ~1000 euros worth of transactions in UK-based stores.
    Only have the card for a month now, and it started immediately after my visit to the OnePlus store so there's definitelly
    a case here.
    Voted too!

Bigalstyle, Veran and inflamez like this.
  21. L1513419926014 Cupcake Jan 12, 2018

L1513419926014, Jan 12, 2018 :
    I cannot confirm my payment for the phone was the cause, however it was the only out of the ordinary payment I've made.

inflamez likes this.
  22. beastkay Honeycomb Jan 12, 2018

CasperTFG and Tomás RB like this.