[CLOSED][DATA COLLECTION] Built-in Analytics - Option to disable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skoey Gingerbread Oct 10, 2017

skoey, Oct 10, 2017 :
    Hey All,

Haven't posted in awhile - got frustrated with all the "When will next update come out?" and "How do I get update in XXXX country?" threads.

Came across this link on Twitter, https://www.chrisdcmoore.co.uk/post/oneplus-analytics/

Reading through the article it appears OnePlus is sending certain analytics data back to open.oneplus.net.

I am curious to get peoples thoughts on this. I understand the power of data when supporting and developing a product, so I get the reason for gathering the data, however it is quite specific, and is linked to your phone's IMIE / serial number - which is a little too specific for my liking but that is just my personal opinion.

Wondering if there is a way to block it? As (based on the article) there is no way to disable it from the settings.

Again, just looking for a clean healthy discussion here folks, not a OnePlus bashing session..

2. JasonMR KitKat Oct 10, 2017

JasonMR, Oct 10, 2017 :
    Really good read and it has to be said, quite a privacy concern.

@David Y. Any chance you can address these concerns?

3. Kristijan Puljek Gingerbread Oct 10, 2017

4. joshphil Cupcake Oct 10, 2017

JelleZon likes this.
  5. JasonMR KitKat Oct 10, 2017

6. aashman Honeycomb Oct 10, 2017

aashman, Oct 10, 2017 :
    The service does restart after the phone reboots, regardless of the advance > join user experience programme setting. Doesn't seem to have grabbed much attention when I do a web search, but can be easily rectified.

I'm interested in how to disable and OnePlus' thoughts on this...

7. Kristijan Puljek Gingerbread Oct 10, 2017

Kristijan Puljek, Oct 10, 2017 :
    With Mozilla and Cliqz the other day, and now this, I suppose I'll just move all my communication back to written letters and notebooks under my pillow.

8. Horsault Lollipop Moderator Oct 10, 2017

Horsault, Oct 10, 2017 :
    When you 1st set up your phone, you have the choice to send info to 1+ or not.
    Didn't you pay attention and clicked on anything without thinking?
    Do you need an article written by someone who didn't pay attention to realize?

9. JelleZon KitKat Oct 10, 2017

joshphil likes this.
  10. Retr_0 Honeycomb Oct 10, 2017

Retr_0, Oct 10, 2017 :
    you my friend are so arrogant that you didn't read the thread completely, even if you opt out the transmission doesn't stop,

11. Gaizka Ayo Froyo Oct 10, 2017

12. Horsault Lollipop Moderator Oct 10, 2017

Horsault, Oct 10, 2017 :
    Is it arrogant to remind the option is given when configuring the phone?

Sun90 likes this.
  13. Retr_0 Honeycomb Oct 10, 2017

Retr_0, Oct 10, 2017 :
    no, it's arrogant because it's written, even if the option is disabled, like I've done it, it don't stop sending

14. Horsault Lollipop Moderator Oct 10, 2017

Horsault, Oct 10, 2017 :
    If you don't want to share, factory reset your phone, and don't subscribe to 1+ Analytics when given the choice.
    Does it still send data then?

Sun90 likes this.
  15. Kristijan Puljek Gingerbread Oct 10, 2017

Kristijan Puljek, Oct 10, 2017 :
    So, you're telling me there is an option that's configurable only on 1st setup and never again? Well then I'd like a switch in my settings please

16. Gaizka Ayo Froyo Oct 10, 2017

Gaizka Ayo, Oct 10, 2017 :
    Analytics? IMEI info and MACs aren't for analytics....

17. Horsault Lollipop Moderator Oct 10, 2017

Horsault, Oct 10, 2017 :
    There are so many one shot agreements in tech land! When you click on "I'm over 18" or "I've read and understood licence agreement", and so on.
    I'm merely saying there's the opportunity to refuse this program when setting the phone. If data is transmitted, it's after user agreement.
    An existing retirement option is another question. The easiest existing way is factory resetting the phone and paying attention to what one agrees with.
    I agree that, considering the amount of data collected, it may be a good option to leave the case blank for people caring about safety.

18. Vedant620 Honeycomb Oct 10, 2017

Vedant620, Oct 10, 2017 :
    ahhhh I hear you man, even I got fed up with all the "battery drain" oh boohoo Oneplus is the worst ne'er buying it again. Glad to see this thread, would go for literally anything other than the same repetitive threads

ianseer, rusty264, lostLambda and 2 others like this.
  19. Gaizka Ayo Froyo Oct 10, 2017

20. Vedant620 Honeycomb Oct 10, 2017

Vedant620, Oct 10, 2017 :
    Guys it's alright, the mod has a point as well don't bash on him/her, I agree it MIGHT've appeared arrogant but judging from the subsequent responses it's fairly obvious the intention wasn't as such. Rather than bashing the mod, I suggest we escalate the issue to Oneplus

jedgell233, ik1, luxuskamel and 5 others like this.