Clarification of OnePlus One LTE Bands

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Administrator Staff Member Apr 14, 2014

Carl, Apr 14, 2014 :
    A couple of months ago, we started OnePlus with the goal of creating the best phone within our ability for as many people around the world as possible. The work we’ve done has been made more fun and meaningful by the global support we’ve already received. Starting a company is a rollercoaster ride with plenty of ups and downs, and your support has certainly made the downs much easier to endure!

During the past weekend, there’s been a lot of discussion regarding the lack of the OnePlus One’s band 20 LTE and we feel we need to clarify the situation.

First of all, how does this affect you? 800MHz is used in some rural areas of Europe. So if you don’t live close to a city, or if you travel outside urban areas, you may lose LTE signal and fall back to 3G. But all LTE is not created equal. 800MHz LTE speeds are only up to 50 Mbps while regular HSPDA+ (3G) can go up to 42 Mbps. OnePlus One supports 3G flawlessly in Europe, so depending on the location and situation, the difference may not actually be all that great. It’s possible that signal strength inside buildings even in non-rural areas may improve, but this is less relevant because our signal strength is some of the industry’s strongest to begin with. Many of today’s flagships fail to pass our rigid signal testing standards.

Some companies create five versions of their flagship devices for different regions of the world. To maximize the impact with our resources, we initially created one SKU that would allow users from as many countries as possible to enjoy this product.

We have received a lot of attention as of late, and due to that, it may be easy to mistake us for a big corporation. We’re not. Though we plan to put out a world-class product, we are still just a few-months old startup with very limited resources in comparison to more established company.

Transparency and honesty with our fans is something we strongly believe in, so let’s lay our choices on the table:
    1. Continue as things are
    2. Change the bands
    3. Create a separate EU version
    We are not pursuing choice #2 because the OnePlus One is already in production. Stopping the production would involve discarding some supplies and waiting for replacements, which means wasting resources and time. This would also mean the removal of another band, which still affects some users and ultimately doesn’t solve the problem.

We’ve decided to pursue choice #1 while hoping that enough people support this choice to help us get through and survive the initial sales period. If we are successful in the first few months, we may be able to simultaneously pursue choice #3 when we have the resources to create a new SKU that includes band 20 LTE.

For the most part, OnePlus One is going to have great 4G LTE connectivity and perfect 3G support. If this is something you can get behind, then we thank you for the support. If not, we’re sorry to have disappointed you, and hope we’ll be successful enough to produce a product that can satisfy your needs in the future.

Whatever you think your choice might be, you may want to wait until April 23 before making up your mind. ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

2. scy1192 Level: Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2014

scy1192, Apr 14, 2014 :
    Although it doesn't personally affect me, it's great to hear a response on this.

3. Salman Akram Level: Éclair Apr 14, 2014

pramod71 and jackyzhu like this.
  4. alextdarling Level: Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2014

alextdarling, Apr 14, 2014 :
    Personally to me 4G seems like a necessity, thanks for the announcement as well, as always keep up the great work

5. fabripav Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

fabripav, Apr 14, 2014 :
    I'm glad you put a statement for this, Carl :)

If you read his post it looks like it's related to hardware, not software.

Ceasedd likes this.
  6. Adam Krisko Community Manager/Admin Staff Member Apr 14, 2014

hkagashe, Ceasedd and Zaheef like this.
  7. Noel Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

Ceasedd, Fadi and crobo like this.
  8. Sparkolo Level: KitKat Senior Moderator Apr 14, 2014

Sparkolo, Apr 14, 2014 :
    Thank you @Carl for the clarification, I think you did the right choice.
    This was really needed, I hope people will stop this absurd war they started. If you can't live without band 20 even if the One will have perfect 3G support and will be a great phone, then search for something else without insulting these guys who are putting all their efforts and energies into this phone. They do not deserve people insulting them just because of a 4G band, respect has to be above products.

Dral, House_Maniac, rahy2k2 and 20 others like this.
  9. mydragoon Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

mydragoon, Apr 14, 2014 :
    hmm... hope that dun mean we're getting more than one phone this year.. :D

10. Carl Administrator Staff Member Apr 14, 2014

Carl, Apr 14, 2014 :
    As stated in the original post, it's certainly a possibility that we release a new SKU designed specifically for Europe. But this can only happen if we survive and are successful with our initial sales.

11. gmanphx Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

gmanphx, Apr 14, 2014 :
    As far as America goes,I don't mind dropping my carrier (Verizon) with unlimited data since they don't approve of OPO and others.And switching to t-mobile (which throttles after 2 gig)or AT&T if the overall quality of the phone is there.

jabbajac likes this.
  12. DavidSTC Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

DavidSTC, Apr 14, 2014 :
    My point, totally +1

13. nebsif Level: Honeycomb Apr 14, 2014

nebsif, Apr 14, 2014 :
    Honestly I never got the deal with LTE, my *everything* is fast enough on HSPA.
    Like unless U have unlimited LTE package, why would u care? What you gonna do with it anyway, install utorrent and download stuff via phone while playing online games on PC?

es82mod and Ale like this.
  14. Edu Level: Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2014

Edu, Apr 14, 2014 :
    I do not know of another company that is so focused on their customers like this ..... It's nice to deal with people such as OnePlus

KingJohnny, fo0ling, algendyh and 8 others like this.
  15. Chinda Level: KitKat Senior Moderator Apr 14, 2014

Chinda, Apr 14, 2014 :
    I knew OnePlus would make an official statement, they always do. My network supports 4g band 3 on OnePlus One :) bit sad for people on band 20 but fastest 3g hspda+ should be good enough for most people.

TxTech27, May I Taste and egrucho like this.
  16. Zaheef Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

Zaheef, Apr 14, 2014 :
    Great Clarification about this issue. A perfect 3G support matter to me that's all. In France we don't have a good coverage 4G network. So it's not a problem for me. Personally I support your choice

es82mod and May I Taste like this.
  17. mydragoon Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

mydragoon, Apr 14, 2014 :
    not always we get to see a company be so open and honest with (potential) customers. I know I for one, appreciate this kind of honesty.

thanks @Carl.

es82mod and jabbajac like this.
  18. Zaheef Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

May I Taste and fabripav like this.
  19. sainjoub Level: KitKat Apr 14, 2014

sainjoub, Apr 14, 2014 :
    A thing of made. The problem of the band 20 is solved for good, like that there will not be a headache :mad:anymore concerning this subject.:D
    @Carl,thanks to you and the whole team "oneplus".;)

Govind and May I Taste like this.
  20. Aphex Level: Honeycomb Apr 14, 2014

Aphex, Apr 14, 2014 :
    I'm not too disapointed by the news, HSPDA+ is plenty fast enough for my needs where i live.