Camera Camera2 API bugs for 3rd party camera apps?

1. mdwh Donut Mar 15, 2017

mdwh, Mar 15, 2017 :
    Hi,

I'm the developer of Open Camera ( http://opencamera.org.uk/ ) and have been testing with the OnePlus 3T (128GB). Overall it's an excellent device, but there are a few problems I'd like to report, mainly specific to the Camera2 API. I've tested a few different third party cameras, with Camera2 enabled as follows:

Open Camera: enable Settings/"Use Camera2 API".
    A Better Camera: enable Settings/General settings/More/"Use Camera2 interface".
    Snap Camera HDR (Trial): enable Settings/Other/"Use Camera2 API".
    Camera FV-5: this uses Camera2 by default.
    AZ Camera: this uses Camera2 by default.
    Footej: this uses Camera2 by default.
    Lightroom (which has a built-in camera using Camera2)

All these issues are with Android 7, Oxygen OS 4.0.2. Rebooting doesn't fix the problems. The upgrade to Oxygen OS 4.0.3 also doesn't fix any of this.

* Most seriously, I've seen problems to do with using manual shutter speed. This usually shows in the form of preview corruption (it shows a split-screen, or starts scrolling), but sometimes there's a camera error, in some cases the entire phone freezes for several seconds (with even the home button not responding). In rare cases the phone becomes sluggish until a reboot is forced. It seems to happen with bright scenes (e.g., outdoors in daytime, or pointing close to a bright light - say shutter speed 1/100s or less). There are a few ways to reproduce this:

1. Switch to manual shutter speed, then back to auto. Then point to a bright scene, after a few moments the problem usually happens.

2. Point at bright scene and switch to manual shutter speed, and wait a few moments (or point the device elsewhere).

3. Switch to manual shutter speed, and keep varying the shutter speed (even if not pointing to bright scene).

I've reproduced this with: Open Camera, A Better Camera, Snap Camera HDR, Camera FV-5, AZ Camera, Footej, Lightroom.

Unfortunately this doesn't just make manual mode unreliable, but also affects implementation of things like HDR, expo bracketing.

* The ISO value (and possibly shutter speed?) reported by the Camera driver is incorrect in dark scenes. This can be seen by the on-screen values in Open Camera, A Better Camera (see Settings/Viewfinder settings/More/ISO value), Snap Camera HDR, Camera FV-5, AZ Camera, Footej. In Open Camera, this value is CaptureResult.SENSOR_SENSITIVITY obtained from the CaptureRequest request received by onCaptureCompleted.

It can also be seen by looking at the reported ISO in the image's Exif data.

The maximum reported values are ISO 799 and shutter speed 1/16.7s. Why do I suspect this to be incorrect? Firstly because taking a photo of the same scene with the stock camera will show much higher ISO in the Exif (even though the photo looks similar), secondly because switching to manual ISO value of ~800 (either in the stock or a third party camera) results in a much darker photos.

Note, this bug is more serious than it might sound, as it messes up things like using HDR for darker scenes.

* Possibly related to this is that setting a manual ISO of above 800 seems to have no effect - photos are still taken as if they had ISO 800. I've reproduced this with Open Camera, A Better Camera, Snap Camera HDR.

Perhaps there are bugs in the Camera2 implementations of these camera apps - though the problems seem consistent across multiple different apps.

Also, not a camera2 issue, but still relevant to the OnePlus 3T, is double-power-button to open camera: if the device is unlocked, it launches the default camera app, but if the device is locked, it only seems to open the stock OnePlus camera app. Open Camera sets an intent filter for both android.media.action.STILL_IMAGE_CAMERA and android.media.action.STILL_IMAGE_CAMERA_SECURE . This works okay on my Nexus 6. On my OnePlus, the app info for the stock camera app says "no defaults set", so there's nothing to clear. Similarly, the lock screen camera icon only seems to open the stock camera app.

Thanks!

(Note, I originally went to post this at https://forums.oneplus.net/feedback/ as is suggested, but the allowed text limit is way too short to put these details in! Also see https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3t/how-to/camera2-bugs-t3569283/post71328398 .)

2. script KitKat Moderator Mar 16, 2017

3. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Mar 16, 2017

philippone, davebugyi and script like this.
  4. G_Lidia_Grzesiuk_OHUo Cupcake Mar 16, 2017

G_Lidia_Grzesiuk_OHUo, Mar 16, 2017 :
    Hello Open Camera developer! Are you able to please reproduce a similar Samsung dual camera feature for the OnePlus 3T ? I so want to take a front and back photo at the same time with a picture box ( looks like a Polaroid) and has a date stamp but can't find anything as good as the dual camera :(
    I will forever owe you one if this can be done !

Habib.khan316 likes this.
  5. ast00 Cupcake Mar 16, 2017

ast00, Mar 16, 2017 :
    Everyone wanted it on the Nexus 5 when Samsung started doing it. But there were hardware limitations. I imagine it's a similar story with Oneplus, otherwise it would be implemented in most camera apps.

6. Habib.khan316 Honeycomb Mar 19, 2017

Habib.khan316, Mar 19, 2017 :
    I don't think its a hardware limitation since you have both front and back facing cameras. Just need to be able to enable both cameras at the same time or different and superimpose over each other

7. prathyand Froyo Mar 19, 2017

prathyand, Mar 19, 2017 :
    I'm sorry but does OnePlus team REALLY take bug reports seriously ? I had already opened a thread for this issue long back in bug forum. First thread didn't get any replies and got buried, so I had to open a second thread. And that too just got a 'Verifying' tag for more than two weeks. No damns were given whatsoever. It is really disappointing. Here's the thread for the bug: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/serious-camera-issue-camera-api-issue.503029/

mdwh and 200mpx like this.
  8. script KitKat Moderator Mar 19, 2017

script, Mar 19, 2017 :

9. kessaras Donut Mar 19, 2017

kessaras, Mar 19, 2017 :
    also pass this.
    we don't like the red eye issue cause by the flash. Lineage/aosp Snap camera can remove the red eye. Please add it to the OOS camera.

prathyand likes this.
  10. prathyand Froyo Mar 19, 2017

prathyand, Mar 19, 2017 :
    Just want to know, have you passed it to ROM team already ? Please ask them to get it fixed and release an update ASAP. Because stock camera's manual mode s*cks to be honest. It simply doesn't have many features camera enthusiasts need. The ones that offer those features are unable to work properly on OP3 because of faulty implementation of camera2 API. Eagerly waiting to get this annoying bug fixed in a new update soon.

MickyFoley, mdwh and 200mpx like this.
  11. ast00 Cupcake Apr 10, 2017

mdwh and dgaspa75 like this.
  12. MickyFoley Froyo May 3, 2017

mdwh and dgaspa75 like this.
  13. prathyand Froyo May 4, 2017

prathyand, May 4, 2017 :
    I have talked to a ROM Enginieer from OP. He says that it is internally fixed but not released in OpenBetas. Will be released soon. Let's wait n see .

14. Meister1977 Froyo May 14, 2017

mdwh likes this.
  15. Meister1977 Froyo May 15, 2017

Meister1977, May 15, 2017 :
    I discussed with a developer from Adobe, because of the problems in LightRoom, and they told me, the problem exsists with OP's Camera2 API.
    I hope, it will be fixed in Beta 16.

mdwh and prathyand like this.
  16. MickyFoley Froyo May 16, 2017

17. sakearzoo Gingerbread May 16, 2017

sakearzoo, May 16, 2017 :
    if possible please bring manual audio gain in video recording at open camera app

18. Meister1977 Froyo May 20, 2017

19. MickyFoley Froyo May 31, 2017

MickyFoley, May 31, 2017 :
    And this thing can stay up. This is a major bug and since it's affecting all other apps, using the Camera2 API, it should have been fixed in the BETA versions. Just saying.

20. whodatboi KitKat May 31, 2017

lostLambda likes this.