Bluetooth audio skipping since beta 13

1. Kristijan Puljek Froyo Sep 5, 2017

Kristijan Puljek, Sep 5, 2017 :
    I'm getting weird sound stuttering on my bluetooth headphones ever since I upgraded to Open Beta 13 (so, the previous one) on my 3T. It's not better on beta 14.

When the music is playing and I unlock my phone - the audio skips. When I enter my music application - the audio skips. When I enter my podcasting app - the audio skips. It stutters like I'm doing something highly intensive and the phone just can't keep up.

I did get some stuttering before Beta 13, but it was random and rare, this happens every single time I unlock my phone or open some applications. If I switch between applications 5 times in 10 seconds, the music will skip every single time.

I found some advice online, but nothing helped:
    - Turn off wifi
    - Turn off aptX
    - Turn off system animations
    - Don't stream audio but play local files
    - Disconnect all other bluetooth devices

Any ideas?

mharis likes this.
  2. Vaibhav Bhragava Jelly Bean Sep 5, 2017

Vaibhav Bhragava, Sep 5, 2017 :
    Did you report this when you were on beta 13 ?
    If yes, then wait for more replies from Bluetooth users
    If no, then you may want to try reinstalling the beta 14 (clearing of data might be necessary)

3. Kristijan Puljek Froyo Sep 5, 2017

Kristijan Puljek, Sep 5, 2017 :
    I mentioned it somewhere on the beta 13 topic, but in the meantime I didn't have many chances to listen to music so I just left it alone, figured it will get fixed along the way or I'll have more time to pinpoint why it happens. But there was a new update and I still didn't find a possible cause so I opened this thread up to see if there are any similar problems, I don't want to wipe data until absolutely necessary. Wiping and reinstalling is never a viable solution, if I wanted that I'd be using Windows and not Linux. :D

4. mharis Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 13, 2017

mharis, Sep 13, 2017 :
    I have this extremely irritating problem on beta 23 as well, I do not use bluetooth earpieces but it happens with my car stereo which is an embarrassment if there are people in the car.

I tested with my friends OP5 as well which is on the official release but even that had the same issue. I think we need to log a support ticket for this.

5. Kristijan Puljek Froyo Sep 13, 2017

Kristijan Puljek, Sep 13, 2017 :
    I noticed that it sometimes works fine if I first open Google Music and then connect my earphones. But even that doesn't help in 100% of the times. So, still at step 1 of determining what the cause is.

mharis likes this.
  6. KoalaNalle Froyo Sep 13, 2017

KoalaNalle, Sep 13, 2017 :
    I had this too, but when i started to report (and record) the problem, the oneplus app shuts down the BT and brings it back again, and the problem was gone.

Anyhow airplane mode on/off seems to do the trick

7. mharis Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 13, 2017

mharis, Sep 13, 2017 :
    I will try this then, but it can be a hassle when driving.

8. KoalaNalle Froyo Sep 13, 2017

KoalaNalle, Sep 13, 2017 :
    Indeed.

I first thought this was the aptX/HD problem. But it seems to occur even if that is off.

Luckily for me the problem with the skipping has only been present from the start of a session and does not (has not at least) happen in a middle of driving etc. session.

My two cents are that this happens because the Bluetooth codec handshake goes sideways.

9. mharis Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 14, 2017

mharis, Sep 14, 2017 :
    What I noticed yesterday and today while driving, is that if I turn the phone at a certain angle, the skipping intensifies noticeably. If I put the phone in the 'favorable' position, then the playback is faultless. I am pretty sure it is caused by interference at a certain angle. Have you noticed anything like that?

10. Kristijan Puljek Froyo Sep 14, 2017

Kristijan Puljek, Sep 14, 2017 :
    Since I'm running with the phone in my hand, it would skip all the time, so I can say that I didn't notice any specific angles. it does skip here and there, but that's just Bluetooth being Bluetooth, I think.

mharis likes this.
  11. KoalaNalle Froyo Sep 14, 2017

KoalaNalle, Sep 14, 2017 :
    Nope haven't noticed that.

But BT communication channels will clog up if there are other BT equipment taking up the channel space. You can easily notice this if you walk through electronic appliance store, especially modern tv displays area. Almost impossible to listen to music :D

mharis likes this.