Baby Steps

Discussion in 'India' started by Carl, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Carl

Carl Administrator Staff Member

Friends,

Since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated by India and its rich heritage. Growing up in Sweden, one of my closest friends was of Indian descent. I would often find excuses to visit his house for delicious and authentic Indian meals. These past few years, I've always wanted to see India, but due to work I've never really had the time. This may change soon.

When we started OnePlus a little over half a year ago, we needed to race against time and focus on what we knew best. Our team primarily consists of North Americans and Europeans, which is why we launched there first.

It all went a little better than expected, and we weren't quite ready for it. As you most likely already know, we've stumbled a little bit here and there. We are aware of this, and are learning. At the same time, we're also extremely touched seeing the positive support we've been receiving despite our many imperfections.

Over the past months, we've seen tremendous interest from India, despite not having launched there. We have many customers in India purchasing to the US, and then asking a friend to bring it over or trans-shipping it. Some have even purchased the device from scalpers. Looking at our traffic, India ranks number 8, outweighing many of our launch countries.

It's safe to say that we're interested in India. Being such a young company, we also know that India is a huge challenge. We're all about creating a great user experience from end to end. We understand that there are lots to learn, consider and set up before we can officially launch in this vast country.

What we could have done was keep everything quiet, and then surprise you guys further down the line when everything was ready. We then thought, why not do it together with our Indian fans? In the end, our success or failure will depend on how well we manage to please our fans. So why not start building this relationship right now?

We've heard your calls, and have been listening. So let's try something new and do this together. We'll be as transparent as possible and keep you posted about our progress, and would love your input while working towards this goal.

It will neither be fast or easy, but I'm sure it will be an amazing ride. Talk soon!

2. Hemo

Hemo Level: Honeycomb

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    lamoha, EddieN121, thehashbd and 25 others like this.
  3. brittonraya

brittonraya Level: KitKat

I think you guys are nuts for omitting India. They're even more tech crazy than you guys in China especially at your price point. I wouldn't be surprised if India becomes the number one country in terms of device sales outside of China. Quote me on that @Carl. But good call on India though. Can't go wrong with that decision.

4. ajkaramba

ajkaramba Level: Jelly Bean

A big step for OnePlus which makes many many people happy I guess. Great to hear that OnePlus listens to the community and change things. This way, OnePlus will be a big global player. Go further on your way OnePlus!

5. ROBOGEAR

ROBOGEAR Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Keep going Carl! Keep making awesome technology!

6. OpofanIT

OpofanIT Level: KitKat

India will defenetly be something BIG for OP.
    Good they will try a different, transparent and open to suggestion approach to build the Indian segment of the market.
    Hopefully this won't take resources and energy off the rest of us!
    Keep going, I hope U'll get all the support U need to change the scene worldwide.
    Good luck to you [and to all member forums that are still waiting]!

7. DuarteSousa

DuarteSousa Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Yes... more invites please! ;)

Shafik Rahman, tanay343 and punjabi like this.
  8. Hélder Lopes

Hélder Lopes Level: Jelly Bean

reserved

thehashbd likes this.
  9. dvdv

dvdv Level: Jelly Bean

Nice posting.

10. dbanez25

dbanez25 Level: KitKat

11. Mas747

Mas747 Level: Gingerbread

Just make the phone available already and stop appealing to new markets !!

thehashbd, vineesh and Reiltar82 like this.
  12. ohamn

ohamn Level: Honeycomb

Wow Carl grew up in my old country Sweden!
    Sweet!! :rolleyes:

thehashbd and sivasangu like this.
  13. mannu_in

mannu_in Level: Gingerbread

Nice...

14. Justin33

Justin33 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Thanks for the reply :)
    It's true, the company has stumbled a bit in the beginning because some promises were made too optimistically and could not be kept. But at the moment things are changing: Many people are receiving their devices, telling the rest how great it is. Others are giving out invites to other waiting forum-members. Such a great experience it has been on these forums the last few days!
    Although I am from one of the launch countries, I find it really good of you to consider India, because I have seen so many posts from disappointed Indian OP fans.

Thanks for everything :)

Duke'r, thehashbd, whatisid and 4 others like this.
  15. orestis

orestis Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Thats good news but can you consider make the opo available on all EU countries

16. Kenz78

Kenz78 Level: KitKat

H
    how about malaysia

benatcmathew likes this.
  17. Pablito89

Pablito89 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

nice post Carl.
    but please, keep us updated on invite-planning system... we are lost...

sentrick likes this.
  18. SakreD

SakreD Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Nice, this is the transparency you guys needed to show us what you promised as a company. Keep it up! Don't make people keep having to Google other sites to find answers. And congrats to all the fellow Indian members.

thehashbd, sentrick and MANIKANDAN04 like this.
  19. clobberin4

clobberin4 Level: Jelly Bean

Good to hear :D plus I'm not reserving! Got my OPO last week and an amazing experience it is - the more people that can get in on this the better - for us and for 1+ - onwards & upwards!! :cool::):cool:

azadm, wajeehuzkhan and sentrick like this.
  20. Brenda

Brenda Level: KitKat

@Sachin07 this one is for you! there is still hope!

thehashbd and Rajatbosch like this.