Are CM devs working more closely with the OnePlus than they did with the N1?

1. Justin Merithew

Justin Merithew Level: Froyo

I've heard through reading on these forums that there was quite a few issues with CM on the Oppo N1. I was wondering if this is something that we can expect to be different with the OnePlus? I'd really like to see a phone where CM will perform at its absolute best.

Andrew Z likes this.
  2. Luka

Luka Level: KitKat

I only herd of one issue and that was that stupid click button not working. It was repaired in the fastest possible time. Someone correct me if i'm wrong :rolleyes:

3. Justin Merithew

This was posted in the "Have you ever tried CM OS?" post.

Well guys,

First my best wishes to all of you. Now, straight to the point... The first ever smartphone with Cyanogenmod from factory is among us, no other than Oppo N1, yes I Know we are here in OnePlus, but to be honest I bough that device because of the OS. My feelings are not relevant right now, so I going to write some specific things supported by facts:

1- The Oppo N1 Cyanogenmod edition do not come with Super User privileges as usual in their roms. Read about the third image https://plus.google.com/ CyanogenMod/posts/hA7rzPmZRyE
    2- Bluetooht link to Oclick (a feature thing of the phone) is not working. Read about O-Click section here: https://en.oppo.com/products/n1/
    3- Synchronizing with Google Calendar is not available at this point in Cyanogenmod 10.2 for N1. Same as here and not fixed yet: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/83494-google-calendar-not-syncinglogging-in/

As you see dear fellows, we have three major problems here amplified by the lack of communication and above all no foreseen dates for a solution. The only thing a read coming from the new company Cyanogenmod was this:
    A case study: Oppo N1, Bugfixes and OTAs
    http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/a-case-study

Sincerely, it really doesn’t makes any better to the situation, to the people who bought the Cyanogenmod edition and leave a market full of speculations founded on bad experiences. I really like Cyanogenmod, I think it is by far the best post-OS (custom rom) and a great competitor to all that fancy roms from manufactures, but I have some issues to solve:

Things were going better as community? I mean, programmers and people who "work" for free are interested to carry on making things in that way as others earn money?
    Can they manage properly the demand from customers and companies?

"This ROM is maintained by the CyanogenMod team and they will be responsible for keeping it updated over time." (see it at: http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/cyanogenmod-for-the-oppo-n1.8017/) This is the only true.

Would you like to read something like this in the future for your brand new smartphone and have no good feedback and communication with the responsible party? I fell terrible and not as a proud owner of that Cyanogemod edition, paying for that is even more ironic.

I hope my experience help in some way to avoid these situations of happening to other good product supporters (buyers). Hardware is important but software is becoming more and more important these days, especially when you try to innovate.

Thanks for reading. Sincerely.

As I see no many people are taking this seriously, in other friend words:
    Official Update Is Out... And Is A Bugfest
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/88661-official-update-is-out-and-is-a-bugfest/

More and last:
    http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/cyanogenmod-update-for-n1.9023/

A few other people agreed with what this poster said, but didn't elaborate much more.

adlibitum likes this.
  4. Noel

Noel Level: KitKat

I would certainly hope they are working close with oneplus

5. Justin Merithew

I hope so too, but that's kindof the impression I got when the N1 was being touted as the "Cyanogenmod Phone", so it'd be comforting to hear some reassurance.

6. Luka

Luka Level: KitKat

Every phone has UI issues. I struggle every day not to throw my Sony to the wall. My friend called me today, took about 10 seconds of ringing for the slide to answer thingy to appear. Than it answered the call immediately but on speakerphone :confused:. When i tried to turn the speakerphone of it hang up the call. Ill Take these minor issues over the stuff i got going on.

Now about the 3 issues you mentioned.
    1. Makes sense to me that every factory device comes rooted. Also there is the issues of Android therms of use.
    2. We been trough that.
    3. I'll give you that one.

I really see minor issues that got or are getting fixed. These guys are doing an awesome job and as fast as possible. I got a truck full of issues on my Sony that never got repaired.

7. adlibitum

adlibitum Level: Jelly Bean

Thanks for sharing! Did you tried CM11 for N1. They are only Nightlies, but maybe the problems, that you mentioned are solved?

8. Justin Merithew

I don't personally own the N1, I read the post in the other thread, and copied it here to give Luka an idea of what some of the issues people were talking about are.

9. AasifMaqsood

AasifMaqsood Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

You know what OnePlus One is a chance for Cm to prove them because now both are official partner so i think both work very hard and never leave any weak link.

10. AasifMaqsood

May be then Cm did not get much time. Now they have time to make it superior.

11. Paul

Paul Level: Honeycomb

Yeah small team, two industrial partners, a lot of other phones to support..

12. AasifMaqsood

As android open kang project's roman birg and chameleon rom's clark scheff both is now member of cyanogen i hope great improvement is coming.

13. Mark Falsing

Mark Falsing Senior Moderator

I have a feeling they are working pretty close together. I do not think we will se the same issues with the N1 on the OnePlus, plus I think CM will be tweaked a little for the OnePlus than what we are used to seeing.

14. AasifMaqsood

And this time may be we can see some exclusive features debut on cyanogen rocking OnePlus One. Like what Samsung done with galaxy s or note series

15. Mark Falsing

Mark Falsing Senior Moderator

I think we will :)

16. Sparkolo

Sparkolo Better Ninja Mod

The fact is:
    OPPO N1 also has ColorOS, so if you don't like the work CM guys did you just use the other ROM.
    OnePlus will have ONLY CM as its official ROM. So if there are bugs on it and they do not fix them there's no other solution. They must work more stricly together.

17. AasifMaqsood

may be we get nightly updates like MIUI :p

18. CM_Abhisek

CM_Abhisek Level: Gingerbread

Hi All!

My name is Abhisek, and I am the community manager for CyanogenMod - I am the person behind the CM social media accounts and the blog posts that you see on cyanogenmod.org. Nice to see so many folks enthusiastic about the OnePlus device already!

I wanted to take some time to address the questions, comments and concerns in this thread. There are a lot of different topics to cover, so I will start at the top, with OP's main question.

Yes, without a doubt we are working more closely with OnePlus than we did with Oppo.

It should be noted that when we agreed to take on the O-N1, the device was already nearing its ship date. We had effectively 2 months to release the CM 10.2 build that shipped with that device. This isn't to state an excuse, its a matter of fact - Oppo's ColorOS team had a steady lead on our development time. Oppo's engineers were super helpful in us playing catch-up, we had a blast working with their team and continue to do so - I just had a meeting with most of them at MWC last week.

With OnePlus this partnership is tighter - we have been brought onboard even before hardware was finalized, we've been kept in the loop with every design idea, marketing idea and hardware. My team and OnePlus' team truly see this as a way to show the best of what our two companies can bring.

Regarding the N1 issues called out, there are two things that didn't turn out with the N1 as we would have liked with that device:

#1 The O-Click version issue. I already outlined the problem on the blog post 'Case Study' linked above, but at its core it came down to a version mismatch. Had we known prior to shipping the Final build, we would have fixed it then, but we didn't and had to go the OTA route to fixit.

#2 Concerns about battery life on the N1. We've heard of some abnormal drain rates in idle mode - something we didn't notice in our power testing. This one has proven harder to pinpoint (some people see it, others have no issues), which makes it harder to solve. We are actively working on this and the CM11 ota.

For the item on the N1 camera, please note that we have not shipped the CM 11 OTA to these devices - users reporting that issue are using pre-release software in this respect. We'll nail any bugs identified prior to shipping out the OTA.

As for length of support, we will continue to support the N1 with updates for 2 years after its release, well ahead of other manufacturers and their 12-18 months. There is also the open source nature of our project, allowing anyone to help aide and extend that support window.

The same level of support (and more) will be extended to the OnePlus One.

We are indeed working on new features that will debut with the OnePlus, but I have to keep some things a secret for now ;-)

19. ΜητΣος7

ΜητΣος7 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

I wasn't sure if CM will keep the oneplus one up to date for a long period of time but that's nice! 2 years official support just like the nexus series...

Noel likes this.
  20. AasifMaqsood

Waoh 2 years its mean three android version?